Author Topic: Queen Victoria & Prince Albert--Photos and Information  (Read 208534 times)

Offline MarquisAnthony

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Queen Victoria & Prince Albert--Photos and Information
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2004, 01:18:49 PM »
No worries. Thanks.

Does anyone have any info on Queen Victoria's trip to India where she received the crown of the new Indian Empire?
Marquis Anthony Green

New York City

Offline Dennis

• Boyar
  • Royal Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2004, 02:05:14 PM »
Queen Victoria never went to India.  The Prince of Wales did at the same time she was proclaimed Empress of India.

In 1911, George V and Mary went for the Dehli Durbar.
Dennis

Offline MarquisAnthony

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2004, 04:06:28 PM »
Oh ok. I knew that Bertie and Alix went but I guess was wrong about QV going. I guess she never left Europe.
Marquis Anthony Green

New York City

Offline Dennis

• Boyar
  • Royal Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2004, 04:23:34 PM »
Well, almost.  Alix was not permitted to go.  She was very, very upset about that.
Dennis

Offline MarquisAnthony

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2004, 04:52:31 PM »
Thanks for the correction Dennis.
Marquis Anthony Green

New York City

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2004, 05:03:55 PM »
Well, almost.  Alix was not permitted to go.  She was very, very upset about that.

Why was Alix not permitted to go, Dennis?
'For a galant spirit there can never be defeat'....Wallis Windsor

'The important things is not what they think of me, but what I think of them.'......QV

Offline Janet_W.

• Velikye Knyaz
  • ...And no one's grief has ever passed you by...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2004, 05:32:59 PM »
Okay, at this point I'm relying on the Edward the King miniseries rather than any scholarly work, but I believe Bertie saw it as a chance to "cut loose" a bit, and Queen Victoria was opposed to Alix traveling since she felt it was her place to stay at home with the children . . . also, India was not considered particularly healthy for a woman of Alix's somewhat delicate constitution. Beyond that, of course, I rather think Queen Victoria would have resented Alix going to India and having a great time while she remained in England!

This, of course, is all interpretation--on the part of the miniseries scriptwriters, plus yours truly. So, any other thoughts and/or scholarly backup on the matter?

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2004, 05:35:24 PM »
A very scholarly educated guess Janet.  You may be right - I will take a look at one of my Alix books tomorrow...

'The important things is not what they think of me, but what I think of them.'......QV

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2005, 06:27:19 PM »

Do you know I am such an idiot, I've forgotten the title!  The book, along with some others, is being delivered to my work address; I will be back at work on the 4th Jan (hopefully they should have arrived by then) so I will let you know the title and whether it has the info about the Fitzgeorges.

Well Marquis, the books that I ordered from Rosvall have arrived, and the one with the information about the FitzGeorges is called 'The Golden Book of Royalty, Relatively Speaking', by Robert Golden.  It is a lovely book; if I get time (I am starting to be busy at work again) I will post some information and pictures.

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2005, 04:55:39 PM »

Here we go Marquis.  This photo features the Duke of Cambridge and was taken at Bad Homburg' I presume some time in the 1890's.  the Duke is seated and from left to right we have (also seated) Mrs Louisa Hamilton and his younger sons Rear Admiral Sir Adolphus FitzGeorge ans Colonel Sir Augustus FitzGeorge.
Apparently it is possible that Mrs Hamilton was the daughter of the Duke and Mrs FitzGeorge (Fairbrother) but she was never acknowledged as such.  Her date of birth was March 1841, a year after the Duke and Louisa Fairbrother had met.  At her marriage in 1859 to Captian Francis Hamilton her surname was listed on the marriage certificate as FitzGeorge and her father named as George FitzGeorge.  She was also present at the deathbed of the Duke.
The Duke had first met his wife, the actress Louisa Fairbrother on the day of Queen Victoria's wedding in 1840.  Louisa was a celebrated beauty - she and the Duke were married in secret and in contravention of the Royal Marriages Act.  This took place at St. John's Church Clerkenwell and Louisa adopted the name of Mrs FitzGeorge.
Apparently they were devoted to each other, although David Duff states somewhat differently in 'Hessian Tapestry', as I have quoted earlier and although the Duke's official residence was Gloucester House in Piccadilly, he lived with his wife at 6 Queen St, Mayfair, in the evenings and on 'off-duty days'.

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2005, 04:57:01 PM »
I forgot to add that I have never seen a photo of Louisa Fairbrother; has anyone ever seen a likeness of her?

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2005, 05:10:14 PM »

Here is a picture of the son who is missing from the other photo, George Fitzgeorge.  He was the eldest son of the Duke and Louisa - not an awful lot is known about him, even by his descendants.
He married Rosa Baring (of the Barings Bank family) and he was a colonel in the Welsh Fusilliers.  Throughout his life he seems to have had financial difficulties, with the Duke paying off his debts from time to time.
At his father's funeral in 1904, he was not strong enough to walk with his two brothers behind the gun carriage that carried the coffin , being obliged to ride to Kensal Green Cemetary in a carriage.  He died in Switzerland in 1907, his health never having been particularly good, at the relatively early age of fifty-four.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2005, 05:02:10 PM »
There is soon to be a display at Windsor Castle on Queen Victoria and the Crimean War, from April 2005 onwards, including military memorabilia. There will also be a focus on the relationship between Queen Victoria and Florence Nightingale. Details from http://www.royal.gov.uk

How interesting! Florence Nightingale (and QV of course) are in the Famous and Interesting Women biographies I put together for my daughter (to supplement her history education and women's pride). Maybe some kind soul will go and tell us about it.  :)
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

bluetoria

« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2005, 08:14:48 AM »
I thought there was specific thread on the Diamond Jubilee, in which someone was asking about who attended - but I can't find it anywhere, so I'll put these pages here. They're from a Programme of the Jubilee whichwas sold for charity in 1897:

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by bluetoria »

bluetoria

« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2005, 08:19:46 AM »
Sorry they're a bit big & wonky - the book is so old it's hard to put it in the scanner & stop it falling apart!