Author Topic: Jewels of the Romanovs: Family & Court by Stefano Papi  (Read 2603 times)

Offline pookiepie

• Boyar
  • vee are, how you say, Norvegians!
    • View Profile
Jewels of the Romanovs: Family & Court by Stefano Papi
« on: October 01, 2011, 10:12:14 PM »
Does anyone own this book? Comments? Opinions? I read Amazon reviews and it seems there are many historical mistakes. But what about the pictures? Is there a lot of overlap with Jewels of the Tsars? Or are there enough new pictures to get the book?

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
Re: Jewels of the Romanovs: Family & Court by Stefano Papi
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 11:39:45 AM »
I have the book. It is lavish and the illustrations are  beautiful.  Some pictures are well known, others not so much. I do not know what the errors are, if there some, I paid no attention to them.
 Personally, I think the book worthwhile addition, especially when it comes to Russian court jewelry. Another point, this is a large format book. So, the pictures, although familiar are much larger and you can see more detail.
 The price  may put some people off, but I  pre-ordered from Amazon and it was not so bad.
 Robert
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline katmaxoz

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 04:31:06 PM »
It's a lovely book with a lot of images you won't see in "jewels of the tsars" or anywhere else come to that, though of course there is some overlap between them.  Unforutnatley I didn't think the text in "jewels of the romanovs" was up to the quality of the pictures in the book as it mostly consists of biographies of various family members.  I think both books are worth having but I don't think either book will ever be a true reference on the Romanov jewels as to get hard information on the jewels you still need to go back to the Lord Twinings crown jewels of Europe and neither book covers the jeweled badges worn by the ladies-in-waiting in any depth.

Offline rgt9w

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 08:08:13 PM »
Does anyone have the revised 2013 edition?  Can anyone tell me what additions were made compared to the first edition?