Author Topic: Russian Navy books ect  (Read 3666 times)

Offline JamesAPrattIII

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Russian Navy books ect
« on: November 21, 2011, 07:30:08 PM »
Below are a list of books and magazines that deal with the Russian Navy it's Ships and battles that people might find usefull:

Expendable Glory George Nekrasov (the Battleship Slava Russian for Glory in the Baltic during WW I
North of Galipoli The Black Sea Fleet at war George Nekrasov
The Russian Fleet 1914-1917 Rene Grieger
The Ottoman Steam Navy 1828-1923 Bernd Langensieper, Ahmet Guleryuz, & James Cooper I know this deals with the Turkish navy but reading this with the above two books you get a good account of the naval war in the Black Sea from both sides.
The Fleet in the First World War Vol1 operations of the russian Fleet N.B. Pavlovich a 1960s Soviet account of the Russian navy in WW I lets just call it a case of creative writing.
Russian and Soviet battleships stephen Mclaugin a good account of thses ships their design and service
The Fleet that had to Die Richard Hough a 1950s account of the Russian baltic fleet and its voyage to and destruction of at the battle of Tsushima
Battle of the Baltic Islands 1917 Gary Staff an average account of the German invasion and capture of the baltic islands near Riga

Offline JamesAPrattIII

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Russian Navy books ect
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 08:12:03 PM »
Magazines:
Warship has a number of articals on Russian Warships and the battles they fought and can be found in book form in libraries
Warship International also has a number of artical on Russian Warships and their design
dreadnoughtproject.org the Sources section will give a list of articals in both magazines Warship International has a webpage
if you have a question on a russian warship of this period and can't get an answer on the net you might want to write warship international at:
Director INFORSER, Charles n Schedell Jr, 86 Zellers RD, Long Valley NJ 07853 USA

Offline JamesAPrattIII

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 09:49:19 PM »
Here are some more books on the Russian navy:
The Potemkin Mutiney Richard Hough An older account of the mutiny on the Battleship Potemkin
Red Mutiney Neal Bascomb a fairly recent account of the mutiney on the battleship Potemkin
Operation Albion Michael Barrett a fairly new book on the 1917 german amphibious operation that captured the Balic Islands in the gulf of Riga
Sailors in Revolt: The Russian Baltic Fleet in 1917 Norman Saul The Russian Baltic fleet during the 1917 revolutions period

Offline Tatyana

• View Profile
Re: Russian Navy books etc.
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 09:10:00 PM »
I'm a long-term lurker, with a considerable collection of unusual Imperial & pre-1940 Soviet-era books. In a recent effort to sort my books, I came across this post, and thought it might be useful to add:
"Survival Through War and Revolution in Russia" by Dmitry Nikolaevich Fedotov-White: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1939. It is the personal narrative of an officer who fought in the Russian Navy during World War I and in Kolchak's army against the Reds, and who was captured by the latter and worked in a Bolshevik government department until 1921, when he escaped via Finland to the United States.
If anyone is interested in hearing more about it, please let me know.
Tatyana

Offline JamesAPrattIII

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 06:31:24 PM »
This book is in archive.org

Offline Tatyana

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 07:38:44 PM »
Thanks for letting us know!