Author Topic: The Romanovs : the rise and fall of a dynasty  (Read 2628 times)

Offline Maria-Nikolaevna

• View Profile
    • deviantart
The Romanovs : the rise and fall of a dynasty
« on: December 21, 2011, 09:45:16 PM »
Hello all,

I have to do a book report on a non- fiction book and I would like to chose a romanov book. After seeing what is in the librarys I can get my books from (only 3 books!) and looking on here I have two books that i may do it on. The first is Last days of the romanovs : Tragedy in Ekatrinburg ( which i have already read) and The Romanovs : the rise and fall of a dynasty. Has any body read The Romanovs : the rise and fall of a dynasty and if so how was it? Also which one would you recomend me to do it on?

Thanks for the help!

Maria-Nikolaevna
Woken in the middle of the night told to get dressed what a sight theres an outbreak in the street they are told walking down the steps brave and bold in the cellar 20 minutes it took to kill a family in a little nook that night their dreams were shattered with their clothes bloody and tattered

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
Re: The Romanovs : the rise and fall of a dynasty
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 08:27:33 AM »
I've never heard of Rise and Fall of a Dynasty!

From what I've been able to discover online, Ian Grey's book is a history of the entire Romanov dynasty. So I think it depends on what you're interested in. If you want a very narrow focus on the last days of NII, stick with Rappaport. If you want to cover the full 300-year history of the Romanovs, choose Grey.
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Maria-Nikolaevna

• View Profile
    • deviantart
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 09:31:41 AM »
Thank you!  ;D also  would liKe to now would you go wth the last days or the house of specal pupouse? Because what i have readon another fourm it isn't all that good i would just liKe to get another opinion. ThanKs!
Woken in the middle of the night told to get dressed what a sight theres an outbreak in the street they are told walking down the steps brave and bold in the cellar 20 minutes it took to kill a family in a little nook that night their dreams were shattered with their clothes bloody and tattered

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 11:50:08 AM »
John Trewin's House of Special Purpose* isn't bad -- it includes photos and information that haven't been printed elsewhere -- but it does contain some myths about the Ekaterinburg period that have been disproven by more current research. Generally, though, you can trust Gibbes' memories of Tobolsk.

Last Days is definitely a more reliable account of the Romanovs' captivity in Ekaterinburg. It's also more scholarly in tone, more critical of the Romanovs themselves, and pays more attention to the political climate outside the Ipatiev House than most other books.

It depends on which period of captivity you're more interested in -- Tobolsk or Ekaterinburg -- and what style of narrative you prefer. Trewin's tends to be personal and anecdotal, and his book is more richly illustrated. Rappaport is more objective and analytical. They both have value.

(*I believe there's also a novel called "House of Special Purpose" but I don't recall the author's name. That may be the book that the other forum members didn't care for.)
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Maria-Nikolaevna

• View Profile
    • deviantart
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 03:02:26 PM »
Thank you so much! I think i may go with House of special purpose just because I haven't read it before thanks so much for you help!

Offline dorlev

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2011, 06:52:25 PM »
If you are writing about the reign of Nicholas II, NICHOLAS AND ALEXANDRA by Massey is great.

Offline Maria-Nikolaevna

• View Profile
    • deviantart
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2011, 08:46:04 PM »
No we are not but thank you anyway I may see if they have that one