Author Topic: How many people did it take to build and/or re-model and how much did it cost?  (Read 4796 times)

Offline Maria-Nikolaevna

• View Profile
    • deviantart
Hello,

In school we are to pick a building and do a report on it. My friend and I picked Alexander Palace. We need specific details like who built it, how long did it take, how much did it cost,, ect... But as I look and look I can't seem to find anything that we need. If you guys/girls could help us it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! ;D
Woken in the middle of the night told to get dressed what a sight theres an outbreak in the street they are told walking down the steps brave and bold in the cellar 20 minutes it took to kill a family in a little nook that night their dreams were shattered with their clothes bloody and tattered

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Tell me the truth, monsieur
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
I googled  and came up with this ...right back here! lol!

http://www.alexanderpalace.org/palace/history.html

It would be hard to come up with exact numbers as it started in a slow process....over time . Interesting!

"Give my love to all who remember me."

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline Maria-Nikolaevna

• View Profile
    • deviantart
Oh,, thak you!!! I think this sight is blocked at my school (Why I don't know)
Woken in the middle of the night told to get dressed what a sight theres an outbreak in the street they are told walking down the steps brave and bold in the cellar 20 minutes it took to kill a family in a little nook that night their dreams were shattered with their clothes bloody and tattered

Offline Maria-Nikolaevna

• View Profile
    • deviantart
Do we know how much it cost the last time they made it into a museum?

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Tell me the truth, monsieur
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
you mean in the 20' though  30's?....I think they just threw open the door and never did upkeep....but getting numbers from the Soviet time might be difficult

"Give my love to all who remember me."

Olga Nikolaevna

RomanovMartyrs

I too would like to know what the cost is of restoration, and where exactly that money came from.

I have mixed feelings about restoring AP. Taxes already pay for Catherine Palace to be repainted with *real* gold paint every so often, which I personally find wrong.

The trip from St. Petersburg to Tsarskoe Selo provides plenty of opportunities for the traveler to see Russian people in impoverished conditions.

If Russian money is funding restoring old buildings rather than helping those people...wrong. Sure, preserve history. But don't use REAL GOLD in your paint when there are people living in squalor within walking distance. Have some nice exhibits open at AP, but you don't have to restore all that fancy nonsense. It's stuff like that that got the Romanovs killed in the first place.

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
Most of the funds, as I understand it, comes from the Rockefeller Foundation. They  provide money for many such historical restorations.
 I do not know what route you take to TS, but my best friend in St.P. recently moved into a very nice development there.  Lovely flat, all the amenities.
 I have been  there several times and have seen no direct evidence of poverty, other than the gypsy camps now & then.
 And then, there are poor" areas in every place on the planet. Russia is no different than the US or the UK.
 In my way of looking at it,  TS is part of Russia's patrimony.  Russian people built and paid for it. They now have the opprotunity to enjoy what was once not available to them.
 Believe me, I am no sentimental fan of the Romanovs, especially the last lot,  but this is of great value to Russia's heritage.
 As for "real gold", in restoration, that is a misnomer. It is not pure gold any more than Elizabeth Taylor's  gown in Cleopatra.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 06:56:53 PM by Robert_Hall »
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

RomanovMartyrs

^

Well the Rockefeller Foundation also funded Nazi eugenics projects, so it's hardly a good argument in defence of full restorations, but thanks for the information.

There are indeed lovely places to live in and around SPb and TS, but if you get onto the highways between the two (on the КАД, for example) you will see what I am talking about.

Yes, there are poor areas in US and UK too. I take issue with their palaces and estates just as I do Russia's; however this forum is about Russia so it is obvious which I will voice a complaint about.

I agree that it is part of Russia's history and should be taken care of, at least on the exterior. But to spend thousands and thousands...I wish Rockefeller would instead donate to some worthy Russian charities in place of that, perhaps this, if they feel the need to contribute in some way to memorialise the Romanov family:

http://www.hemophilia.ru/english/situation.html

The paint they use on Catherine Palace has real gold leaf in it to resemble the colouring of pre-Catherine times. Not nearly so extravagant as it was before Catherine the Great got in there: They *used* to use 100kg of real gold in the paint.

You make a good point of "the people built and paid for it" and now they get to view it. But honestly even that is an extravagance for many Russians; particularly those who live on the other side of the country and can't afford to travel. Also, I hardly think that just because some labourers were used to construct it, and because the country's money went to construct it, that this is an excuse to ignore the idea that many at the time were starving. What is a refurbished sofa to a crust of bread to save a human life?