Author Topic: Books the Romanovs Read  (Read 6208 times)

RomanovMartyrs

Books the Romanovs Read
« on: January 15, 2012, 02:36:35 PM »
I know that their diaries sometimes mentioned books they were reading, and I'd like to read some things they did. I haven't done extensive research on it, and figure there are board members who already have knowledge on the subject?

Can you please post some titles (+ their authors) of books that NAOTMAA read? I'm particularly interested in books OTMA read. Thanks in advance!

Offline Olgasha

• Knyaz
  • Михаил Александрович Романов
    • View Profile
Re: Books the Romanovs Read
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 03:14:06 PM »
I read somewhere there were many books by Lidia Charskaya in private OTMA bookcase.
Olga read "Les Miserables" by V. Hugo, Nicholas - "War and Peace" by L. Tolstoy.
They certainly read Chechov, Krylov, Pushkin, Turgeniev.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 03:34:53 PM by Olgasha »
Мишкин, Мишкин… - зашелестел кумачовым флагом на улице озорник ветер...

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 03:29:03 PM »
Maria read The Rosary by Florence L. Barclay.  You can read it free online here.

When the children had measles in 1917, Alexandra read to them from a book called Aunt Helen's Children. I don't know the author.

It seems to me that Nicholas read Dracula aloud to his family during their house arrest at the AP, but it would take me a while to verify that -- I think I ran across it in the combined edition of NII & AF's 1917-18 diaries.

Gilliard read poems by Nekrasov to the IF in Tobolsk, and also read Ivanhoe to Aleksei after NAM were transferred to Ekaterinburg.

Alexandra's 1918 diary mentions a Polish book that Tatiana read aloud while Aleksei was ill at the Ipatiev house, but I don't recall the title offhand.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 03:38:12 PM by Sarushka »
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Talya

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 07:32:17 PM »
E - BOOKS FOUND IN THE IPATIEV HOUSE AND ITS OUTBUILDINGS
a. BOOKS OF THE EMPRESS
195. THE LADDER OF PARADISE, bound in red and gilt. On the verso of the flyleaf is a lozenge shaped paper with the monogram A.F. and the imperial crown. On the title page the Empress wrote in pencil "A.F. Ts.S. March 1906"
196. the book OF PATIENCE IN SUFFERING. It is covered in blue, with gold and niello. On the verso of the cover a paper shaped in a lozenge with the monogram A.F. and the Imperial crown. On the reverse of the flyleaf the Empress wrote in her hand: "A.F. Peterhof, 1906"
197. A COLLECTION OF PRAYERS, covered in dark blue calico. On the flyleaf, a round paper engraved with entwined monograms of N.A. and A.F. with the Imperial crown. On the last page is written in ink the date "6 May 1883" In the book is found dried flowers and a small ring
198. The BIBLE, covered in black calico. Many passages are underlined and the book contained dried herbs, leaves and wildflowers
199. A French book
200. THE LARGE IN THE SMALL by Serge Nilus
201. BLUE AND GOLD by Avertchenko
202. THE TALES FOR CONVALESCENTS by Avertchenko
203. A.P Chekov, Books II, VIII, XIII
b. BOOKS OF THE GRAND DUCHESS OLGA NICKOLAEVNA
204. A book in English brocade. On the first page, the drawing of a cross and english verse written in the Empress's hand, and on the verso, written in the same hand: "V.K. Olga 1917. Mama. Tobolsk" The book contained three small sheets of paper. On one is written the poem of Sully-Prudhomme, THE BROKEN VASE. On the other two, Olga Nickolaevna wrote the following:
   1.- IN FRONT OF THE ICON OF THE VIRGIN, MOTHER OF GOD
   "Queen of the sky and earth, consolation of the afflicted, listen to the prayer of sinners, you are the hope and the salvation.
   We are bogged down in the filth of passion, we err in the gloom of vice. But...our Father! O, turn toward her gaze which sees all.
   The Holy Russia, your luminous dwelling is in peril of perishing. We invoke you, Protecterice, we know nothing but you.
   Do not abandon your children, spirit of the afflicted. Do not divert your gaze from our grief and our martyrdom.
   2. PRAYER
   Send us the patience, Father, to support us in this year of dark days and tempests, these persecutions of the people and these tortures of our executioners.
   Give us the strength, O just God, to pardon the wickedness of our neighbors, and to carry the heavy bloody cross with your humility.
   And in these riotious days , when our enemies strip us, help us, Saviour God, to suffer the shame and the insults.
   Master of the world, bless us with your prayer and give the peace to our soul appeased at this terrible hour and unbearable.
   And at the gates of the tomb, make us born again with the lips of your slaves the superhuman force of humble prayer for our enemies.
 205. THE EAGLET, by Rostand, with red cover with gilt. On the verso of the third page is the incription in French "G.d.O.N. from P.G., Spala 3-XI-1912"
206. An English book: The Princess and the Goblin, carrying in English on the second page "for darling Olga, From Aunty Irene, 1903"
207. A French book, FRANCE AND ALL ITS EPOQUES. On the verso of the cover, the Tsar has written " Christmas 1911, 24 December. Tsarskoe - Selo, From Mama and Papa" and next to it "Olga - N"

c. BOOKS OF GRAND DUCHESS TATIANA NIKOLAEVNA
208. RITUAL FOR PREPARATION OF HOLY COMMUNION. Book in blue cover, carrying on the first page in the Empress's hand "To my dear Tatiana, from Mama, 9 February 1912, Tsarskoye Selo"
209. THE FAVORS OF THE VIRGIN, with red cover,on the verso of the cover, in the Empress's hand, part in English part Russian; "For my darling Tatiana, her loving Mama. Tobolsk, January 12, 1918"
210. A BOOK OF HOURS, in brown hardback. On the first page this inscription in the Empress's hand "T.N. Tobolsk, 1917, 30 September"
211. LETTERS ON THE CHRISTIAN LIFE, with black cover. Inside the cover, the Empress wrote in her hand "To Tatiana, 1917, Ts. S. 12 July"
212. OF PATIENCE IN SUFFERING, grey brocade. On the corner of the cover, the Empress wrote "T.N. 1917"
213. THE LIFE AND MIRACLES OF ST. SIMEON THE JUST OF VERKOUTSK, with greyish cover, with on the corner in the Empress's hand: "T.N., Tobolsk, 1918"
214. THE LIFE OF OUR HOLY FATHER SAINT SERAPHIM OF SAROV, with greyish cover with on the corner in the Empress's hand "T.N. Tobolsk, 1918"
215. SING TO THE GLORY OF THE HOLY VIRGIN, with this inscription from the Empress "T.N. 27 February 1913, Ts.S."
216. TWELVE GOSPELS, with glossy grey cover, with on the inside in the Empress's hand: "To my dear Tatiana, from Mama 1905"
217. MY LIFE IN CHRIST, hardback cover in brown. On the first page the Empress wrote: "T.N. 1915"
218. CONOLATIONS FOR THE LOSS OF THOSE NEAR, in light grey cover. On the cover the Empress wrote: "T.N. 1917"
219. COLLECTION OF THE MOST PIOUS LECTURES of Valuiov
220. CONVERSATIONS ON SUFFERING, by Philarete, covered in blue with gilt tips
221. GREAT CANON, by Andre Kritski
222. COLLECTION OF SERVICES, PRAYERS AND HYMNS, with glossy red cover and gilt tips. On the fly-leaf the inscription "To dear Tatiana, from S. Tutcheva who loves her, 1908 25 November."

223. An English book THE WIDER LIFE, with glossy light blue cover and gilt back. Behind the first page the Empress wrote (in English) "For darling Tatiana, from A. 1909"
224. An English book
225. An English book, LIFE'S OPEN DOOR
226. AUDACIOUS LIFE, by Tcharski, with hardback cover with a small painting. On the verso of the the fly-leaf the Empress wrote "to my dear Tatiana from Papa and Mama. January 1908"
227. HISTORY OF PETER THE GREAT, by Tchistiakov with blue green cover
228. An English book, THE KING MAMBO, with the author, Paul du Chulus dedication
229. An English book by the same author, MY OPINING KINGDOM, with dedication, with light green cover
230. An English book, THE COUNTRY OF DWARVES, with dedication and same cover
231. An English book, TALES OF SHAKESPEARE, with brown glossy cover
232. THE FABLES OF LA FONTAINE in French
233. ANTHOLOGY OF CHILDHOOD by Frederick Bataille, in French

d. BOOKS OF THE GRAND DUCHESS MARIE NICKOLAEVNA
234. TO PARIS, by Avenarius, with on the verso of the fly-leaf "M.N. Christmas 1913, from P.V.P"
235. MANUAL FOR THE STUDY OF FOREIGN LANGUAGES with the signature of Marie
236. REFLECTIONS by Popov, school book
237. An English book THE ROLE AND THE RING

e. BOOKS OF THE GRAND DUCHESS ANASTASIA NICKOLAEVNA
238. Four books of the Works of Lazietnikov, volumes 1 & 2 with glossy colored cover

f. BOOKS OF THE TSAREVICH
239. METHOD TO PLAY THE BALALAIKA, with glossy blue cover, monogram A and the crown on the cover
240. A school notebook with yellow cover on which the Tsarevich wrote: "French Notebook, Alexis" Five pages are full of translation
241. Notebook with blue cover with the government seal of Tobolsk and the Siberian Empire. On top is imprinted "1916-Souvenir", inside are views of Tobolsk
242. DATEBOOK of 1916 with glossy wooden cover and copper clasps. It contained notes from his teachers GIBBS and GILLIARD on his uses of time and his health

Credit: http://www.alexanderpalace.com/palace/yelist.html

These have to be only a portion of the books they read. Hope it helps :)
Why I enjoy watching The Andy Griffith Show at 2am, I'll never know.
Why yes, I do enjoy comical stylings of Anastasia :]

RomanovMartyrs

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 09:15:50 PM »
Thank you so kindly for your replies! A wonderful list to start with. Special thanks to Talya for so much time that must have taken! Thank you all. :) Others feel free to add as you stumble upon such info.

Offline Talya

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 09:18:32 PM »
Think nothing of it, it was a simple copy and paste! Best of luck!!
Why I enjoy watching The Andy Griffith Show at 2am, I'll never know.
Why yes, I do enjoy comical stylings of Anastasia :]

Offline Olgasha

• Knyaz
  • Михаил Александрович Романов
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 04:29:32 AM »
If I may...
there is a small mistake:

226. AUDACIOUS LIFE, by Tcharski, with hardback cover with a small painting.
Not - TCHARSKY, but CHARSKAYA or TCHARSKAYA - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lidia_Charskaya (original title of this book is "Смелая жизнь")
Мишкин, Мишкин… - зашелестел кумачовым флагом на улице озорник ветер...

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 04:57:13 AM »
To judge by that list, Tatiana was the bookish one, with a strong preponderance of religious books.

Ann

Offline Sunny

• Knyaz
  • Царь Николай, твоё имя - любовь
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 06:22:39 AM »
To judge by that list, Tatiana was the bookish one, with a strong preponderance of religious books.

Ann

I was wondering the same. These days i've been busy tryong to find as much book as possible of those we knoe they read; I am looking most of all for PDF version (i don't like to read on the pc screen), and i used the list Talya copied. I admit i'm avoiding most of them, because they are religioius books; i'm not Orthodox, so i fear i wouldn't understand much (about spirituality and theology, i mean). I was wondering where Olga's book where - we know she read so much, and expecially novel (or is me who's assuming they were novels? Uhm...) but it seemed she had not many in IH. I wonder wheter these books were left at the Ap.
Please visit my site
http://thelostworldofnaotmaa.wordpress.com/

Banner courtesy of GD Ally

Offline Sunny

• Knyaz
  • Царь Николай, твоё имя - любовь
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 06:59:03 AM »
BTW Iìm trying to find out what kind of book "TO PARIS - by Avenarius" is. Avenarius is the surname of two famous german brothers; one, Richard, was a philopher and wrote philosophy books (of course); so i exclude him. His brother, Ferdinand, was indeed a writer, and his wife os Wagner's sister (yes, that Wagner, composer), but he wrote nothing with the title "To Paris" or something similar. O_O i'm quite astonished, since i found none else with that surname. Maybe the title could be a Russian modification of another real title? It often happens that when books are translated, the title is changed. I'll try to find out something more using that little of German i could still remember from school years.
Please visit my site
http://thelostworldofnaotmaa.wordpress.com/

Banner courtesy of GD Ally

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 07:59:45 AM »
I was wondering where Olga's book where - we know she read so much, and expecially novel (or is me who's assuming they were novels? Uhm...) but it seemed she had not many in IH. I wonder wheter these books were left at the Ap.

I noticed a significant number of Tatiana's books were given to her in 1917-18, so it may be that the majority of the family's older books weren't unpacked in Ekaterinburg.
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

RomanovMartyrs

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 08:55:50 AM »
If I may...
there is a small mistake:

226. AUDACIOUS LIFE, by Tcharski, with hardback cover with a small painting.
Not - TCHARSKY, but CHARSKAYA or TCHARSKAYA - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lidia_Charskaya (original title of this book is "Смелая жизнь")

Yeah, I think that this list came from a translation with poor transilteration (not Talya's fault, but the source's). For example, the only author Averchenko I have heard of had no "t" in the name.

Also- I think that the list Talya gave is just what was discovered at Ipatiev by the White Army(?). This means it could very well be that these were the books the girls chose to leave there the night they were told to gather the most important things for leaving. It could actually be entirely opposite and that Tatiana left the most books behind! We don't know completely what all the Bolsheviks stole away for themselves...It's obvious why mostly religious books remained.

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 09:04:30 AM »
Good point about these being the books left behind.

Had the Bolsheviks made off with the Russian equivalent of 'tupenny bloods'?

Ann

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2012, 09:48:37 AM »
This means it could very well be that these were the books the girls chose to leave there the night they were told to gather the most important things for leaving. It could actually be entirely opposite and that Tatiana left the most books behind!

To my knowledge there was no packing of any significance on the night of the murders. Yurovsky even frowned at the girls' small purses and the pillow carried by Demidova. Also, when the Romanovs were hoping to be rescued by the "officer," they had to pack very discretely so as not to arouse suspicion. Books would have been too heavy, as well as too cumbersome, for a rescue plan that required them to climb down a sheet-rope from the window.

We don't know completely what all the Bolsheviks stole away for themselves...It's obvious why mostly religious books remained.

IMO, this is the most likely scenario -- though I hesitate to attribute the abundance of religious texts left behind to the guards' religious/political beliefs. Like Sunny, I myself haven't researched or read any of the Orthodox titles, and it's not because I'm an atheist Bolshevik. ;^)

Offline Antonina

• Boyar
    • View Profile
    • saltkrakan.livejournal
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2012, 10:02:47 AM »
Wow – I used to love Charskaya’s AUDACIOUS LIFE when I was little)) Here’s the list of  titles mentioned in “Sisters of Mercy”:
“A Sportsman's Sketches” by Ivan Sergeyevich Turgenev;
“Clairvoyant”, “Concert”, “paschal”, “New Year in the sea”, “Naval cadet: a diary” by Belomor (A.E. Konkevich, Russian science-fiction writer);
short stories by Chekhov, Teffi (Nadezhda Aleksandrovna Lokhvitskaya), Sladkopevtsev – several times!
“Visiting Turks” and “Where oranges are ripening “ by Leykin;
Volodia Paley’s poems;
"А Millionaire girl";
"The women in the car";
 "In white raiment"  by William Le Queux;
“Our lot abroad” (Наши за границей);
"The wide wide world" by Elizabeth Wetherell;
"Anand ее monde s'enuie";
"The keeper of the door" by Ethel May Dell.
...Столетья поплывут из темноты.