Author Topic: Schleswig-Holsteins  (Read 51875 times)

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
Re: Schleswig-Holsteins
« Reply #105 on: January 19, 2009, 05:25:52 PM »
Christoph

Marie Alix

« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 05:27:46 PM by grandduchessella »
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #106 on: January 19, 2009, 07:36:06 PM »
Friedrich of Solms-Baruth was involved in discussions of the plot to kill Hitler and provided two of his mansions as meeting places. Also, as a pacifist and humanist, was involved in the assistance shown towards Russian POWs in his area and appealed towards his BIL the Duke of Coburg for aid. He won the aid but brought down some wrath on his head and lost some land possessions. After the failed assassination, he was arrested and was only freed after the Reich fell. He was kept alive in an attempt to extract information about other plotters, according to his grandson.Incarcerated in the Prince Albrechtstrasse Gestapo prison in Berlin, dubbed the "House of Horror," he was kept in solitary confinement and interrogated incessantly, according to his family.

Released near war's end, Friedrich fled to a small farming property he owned in Saxony, close to the Elbe river, with his wife, youngest daughter, and loyal staff, then to the home of his brother-in-law, the Duke of Schleswig-Holstein. He and the family stayed for a brief period with the Crown Prince and Princess of Sweden--their DIL Sibylla being a niece. After the war, he and his family moved to Namibia where they established a large wine-growing estate.  "Sadly, he did not live very much longer, dying in his early 70s, his health undermined by years of war stress," the prince's grandson says. In 2003, the family received 3658 hectares forest, field and grassland in Brandenburg and Saxonia-Anhalt back from the government. The prince's grandson Friedrich later went to court to try and get more Nazi-confiscated lands but, in 2008, the claim was denied. 
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 08:06:25 PM by grandduchessella »

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #107 on: January 19, 2009, 07:54:01 PM »
Adelheid's sister Caroline Mathilde married Friedrich's brother, Hans of Solms-Baruth. Their daughter Victoria Louise married, and divorced, her cousin Friedrich Josias of Saxe-Coburg (son of Duke Charles and Adelheid and CM's sister Victoria Adelheid). VL later married an American and moved to Louisiana. She had a child by each husband.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #108 on: January 19, 2009, 08:01:59 PM »
Friedrich of Solms-Baruth

Offline Jose II

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 20, 2009, 10:08:59 AM »
Adelheid's sister Caroline Mathilde married Friedrich's brother, Hans of Solms-Baruth. Their daughter Victoria Louise married, and divorced, her cousin Friedrich Josias of Saxe-Coburg (son of Duke Charles and Adelheid and CM's sister Victoria Adelheid). VL later married an American and moved to Louisiana. She had a child by each husband.

This threads are fantastic namely when we discover the intrincated relationship between the involved parties.

Naturally I knew that Friedrich-Josias had married Victoria-Luise of Solms-Baruth but I had missed that they were first cousins

http://geneweb.inria.fr/roglo?lang=en;spouse=on;m=RL;i=294342;l1=2;i1=291577;l2=2;i2=291158

Thank you for reminding this and to all who have posted photos

Offline Jose II

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 20, 2009, 10:10:26 AM »

The thread on Royals and Nazism may have some info on Friedrich's stand. He was surrounded by even more familial connections to Nazis than the ones you listed.

Yes, indeed.
The infamous "Auwi" was also his b-i-l.

Offline Jose II

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 22, 2009, 01:19:08 PM »
Can someone post any pics of Augusta SHSG (1844-1932) who married Wilhelm of Hesse-Philippstahl-Barchfeld and of Friederich-Ferdinand SHSG. (1855-1934) married to his cousin Carolina-Mathilde SHSAugustenburg, please ?

Thanks in advance.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #112 on: January 22, 2009, 05:13:23 PM »
Friedrich-Ferdinand

Offline Bourgogne

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 04, 2009, 10:24:31 AM »
courtesy of The Royal Forums

Marie Alix with her son Christoph

Marie Alix (far right)

Great pics! It's very difficult to find pictures after 1950!

By the way, does somebody know a picture of duke Peter of Schleswig-Holstein, Marie-Alix's husband and Christoph's father? I can't find it! Nowhere!

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #114 on: March 04, 2009, 11:05:10 AM »
My book, Queen Victoria's Descendants, includes a photo of Duke Peter.  However, the photo is copyrighted so I cannot republish it here.
Author of Queen Victoria's Descendants,
& publisher of Royal Book News.
Visit my blog, Royal Musings  http://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/

Offline Bourgogne

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 04, 2009, 01:03:44 PM »
My book, Queen Victoria's Descendants, includes a photo of Duke Peter.  However, the photo is copyrighted so I cannot republish it here.

Oh I see, you're afraid of being sent to prison? ;-)

Maybe I'm completely foolhardy, but all the pics I've posted here, about the Oldenbourg family, for example, are copyrighted... So what?

Thanks anyway...!

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #116 on: March 04, 2009, 01:14:17 PM »
I have a respect for other peoples' property.  Thus, I would never use a photograph, for example, without permission of the copyright holder.   If you like breaking US and international law, feel free.  But remember, it could happen to you as welll.    I presume you also have no issues with stealing from stores, too.

Oh I see, you're afraid of being sent to prison? ;-)

Maybe I'm completely foolhardy, but all the pics I've posted here, about the Oldenbourg family, for example, are copyrighted... So what?

Thanks anyway...!

Offline Bourgogne

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 04, 2009, 01:28:55 PM »

Yes, yes, yes.... We'll never be agree about this vast topic, skip it...

I just don't understand the purpose of your initial message. "I've got the pic, but I won't show it to you..." ????? Why do you answer then? A bit bewildering...

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #118 on: March 04, 2009, 01:35:31 PM »

The question was asked - if someone had a photo?  I have one.  It was used in my book.  But I cannot repost it here without having to acquire permission to use it here.  The difference between you and me is that I respect intellectual property laws. 

I just don't understand the purpose of your initial message. "I've got the pic, but I won't show it to you..." ????? Why do you answer then? A bit bewildering...

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #119 on: March 04, 2009, 01:52:58 PM »

Maybe in case someone would be interested in seeing it--in which case Marlene said where one was located. The book could be bought, checked out of a library or ordered through interlibrary loan. I don't think it was a case of some sort of taunting but rather passing on information as to where one could find the picture and others like it.