Author Topic: Christian X & Queen Alexandrine  (Read 86616 times)

Offline William-Kentucky

• View Profile
Re: Christian X & Queen Alexandrine
« Reply #75 on: October 26, 2009, 05:50:58 AM »
I'm happy to read all the postings on Queen Alexandrine; as a Danish friend (now in his 70s) once told me, during war years, she seemed to be a kind of national grandmother. 

He also corroborated her unswerving Danish patriotism, telling the story - and I'm wondering if anyone else has heard this? - about her nephews, then in the Wehrmacht, asking if they could come and visit her.  With great tact, balancing family feeling with her position, she replied Yes, but that the visit must be strictly private and they must come out of uniform.  One nephew (un-named) showed up in uniform --- and was turned away.

Offline kmerov

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 07, 2009, 09:13:15 AM »
That´s a nice one, Louise Henriette :)

Where did Alexandrine live before she became queen in 1912 ???

Alexandrine lived mainly in what is called Christian VIII mansion at Amalienborg Palace, and at Sorgenfri Palace outside of Copenhagen.

Offline William-Kentucky

• View Profile
Re: Christian X & Queen Alexandrine: film clip
« Reply #77 on: December 10, 2009, 05:28:52 AM »
There is currently (10 Dec. '09) an excellent 10-minute film compilation of King Christian X available for viewing on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDEoZ3zJRp4&NR=1

(Should this link not work:  access Youtube; search "Kong Chistian X"; find the 10.36-long segment titled "K. Christian d. 10. 70 arsfodselsdag")

Originally newreel footage, it covers the celebrations of two birthdays (70th and 71st) and of the celebrations marking King's thirtieth anniversary on the throne.  Included are clips of His Majesty's morning rides; motorocades with Queen Alexandrine and other members of the Royal Family through the streets of Copenhagen; the King speaking to the crowd from the balcony of the Amalienborg; and a wonderful segment showing the King and Queen as grandparents (the shot of the King tete-a-tete with Princess Elisabeth I find especially touching).

The compilation features the original Danish narration; in some sequences, the sound seems to have been recorded "live," while in others, it was dubbed in later.

I would imagine that seeing these films on their original release during the war years (1940, 1941, 1942), must have provided a heartening morale boost to the Danish people:  as the King himself concluded, "Denmark lilves!"

Offline kmerov

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 18, 2010, 07:22:25 PM »
Christian X's first love was Princess Marguerite of Orléans, sister of Princess Waldemar of Denmark. She turned him down after some years of keeping him waiting and Christian X was heartbroken. He was very emotional at times.

Offline kmerov

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 18, 2010, 07:41:47 PM »
Christian X at the reunion of Nothern Schleswig to Denmark in 1920.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #80 on: May 18, 2010, 08:27:22 PM »
Christian X's first love was Princess Marguerite of Orléans, sister of Princess Waldemar of Denmark. She turned him down after some years of keeping him waiting and Christian X was heartbroken. He was very emotional at times.

That's so interesting! Thank you Kmerov! Was that in one of the Danish books you are always so good to share from? Poor Christian was 'married off' to several princesses in the press, including his cousins Victoria of Wales and Marie of Greece. There was another engagement reproduced with photos in some magazine but I can't recall who it was--it might have been Princess Pauline of Wurttemberg. They never named the one he actually was interested in though! Does anything you've read say how he came to get to know Alexandrine and whether it was a love-match? They certainly seemed to suit.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline kmerov

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 21, 2010, 09:27:02 AM »
You are welcome. Yes, it's from a Danish bio on him. As I remember he met Alexandrine in march 1897 in Cannes where he went officially to visit his aunts, Duchess Thyra of Cumberland and Queen Olga of Greece, but really he was there to spot eligible princesses, and particulary Alexandrine which he had not met until that point. Within weeks the couple were engaged. It was a love mach in the sence that they really fell in love during these days, but of course Christian was there with a plan to propose if they suited each other. By the way, he proposed while on a visit to the island named Marguerite not far from Cannes. 

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #82 on: May 21, 2010, 09:39:47 AM »
Thank you once again! I really need to check out our Danish Rosetta Stone and learn to at least read the language if not speak it!  :) Interesting that Olga was down there. She could have provided some intel on Alexandrine since her mother was a Russian Grand Duchess perhaps? She also was a good sounding board for George of Wales when he was debating whether to propose to May Teck and maybe acted in the same capacity. Regardless, it's nice to know that they did fall in love and they made a very attractive young couple. Christian always struck me as reminiscent of his cousin George V in temperament--is that borne out at all in the bio?
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline kmerov

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 21, 2010, 10:26:20 AM »
You are welcome. Yes in the recent years more personel letters and diaries of the Danish RF have been published, thus bringing a lot of new information.
It's been a while since I read the bio, but Christian X and Alexandrines connection to Queen Olga and the Russian IF is mentioned in the book, but it doesn't say how the idea of marriage came about in details.
I think that Christian X and George V had similar personality traits, but I can't remember if the book mentions this. Christian X was pro-British and he often wrote to George V and I get the impression that he liked him.

Offline Carolath Habsburg

• Velikye Knyaz
  • As seen on TUMBLR!
    • View Profile
    • Victorian & edwardian roleplay in spanish!
« Reply #84 on: June 18, 2010, 07:40:41 AM »
The royal couple

Courtesy of Grand Duchess Ally

"...Пусть он землю бережет родную, А любовь Катюша сбережет....". Grand Duchess Ekaterina Fyodorovna to Grand Duke Georgiy Alexandrovich. 1914

Join the cause "We want an Ignore button

Offline kmerov

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 03, 2010, 10:47:22 AM »
From Christian X's 25 jubilee on the throne in 1937.

My guess.
First Row, Haakon VII of Norway, Queen Alexandrine, Christian X and Gustav V of Sweden.
Second row, Prince Carl of Sweden, Crown Princess Ingrid, Crown Prince Frederik (IX), and Princess Ingeborg.
Third row, Prince Valdemar, Grand Duchess Alexandra of Mecklenburg-Schwerin, Grand Duke Friedrich Franz IV of M-S, Princess Caroline Mathilde, Prince Knud.
Fourth row, Princess Helena, Prince Harald, not sure too blurry, Prince George of Greece, and Prince Gustav.
Fifth row, ?, Princess Margareta, Prince Axel, ?, Princess Margrethe and Prince René of Bourbon-Parma.
In the small room. In the front Princess Aage, Count Christian of Rosenborg, ?,?.
The back row includes Prince and Princess Viggo, and the two sons of Axel and Margareta.

• Velikye Knyaz
  • As seen on TUMBLR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 06, 2010, 12:42:15 PM »
Christian and Alexandrine

"...Пусть он землю бережет родную, А любовь Катюша сбережет....". Grand Duchess Ekaterina Fyodorovna to Grand Duke Georgiy Alexandrovich. 1914

Rani

« Reply #87 on: November 06, 2010, 01:04:33 PM »
Christian and Alexandrine

Okaay, she looks a little bit odd.

Rani

« Reply #88 on: November 06, 2010, 05:32:09 PM »

With granddaughter Margrethe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • As seen on TUMBLR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 15, 2011, 01:29:13 PM »
Wanna read some nonsense??

http://valdemarshdatter2.webs.com/aliasmargrethemopezat.htm/

There s a ´picture of Christian with Crownprincess Martha of Norway labeled as "Christian and a PROSTITUTE"!!!. What a disrespectful lunatic creep