Author Topic: 400th Anniversary of Romanov Dynasty  (Read 44858 times)

RomanovMartyrs

400th Anniversary of Romanov Dynasty
« on: May 06, 2012, 05:37:59 PM »
I wasn't sure where to put this, so please feel free, mods, to move it somewhere else.

I thought it'd be a good idea to begin composing a list of festivities that will be going on in 2013 to comemorate the 400th anniversary of the Romanov Dynasty. This way, we know well in advance and maybe can plan to attend some! If you find other activities, please add them, and don't forget to tell the location. : )

-The Romanov Ribbon Campaign is fundraising to construct a monument at the 2013 Romanov Festival (Kostroma)
-A memorial Romanov bell will be raised at Novospassky Monastery (Moscow)
-New museum in the Governor's Mansion (Tobolsk)
-New tableware released by Royal Buckingham for purchase by the public will have the Romanov crest and 1613-2013 depicted on it
-"Romanovs in Nizhni Novgorod" exhibition of photographs (Nizhni Novgorod)
-"The Romanovs: A Great Dynasty" collection of historical carpets (Moscow, St. Petersburg, London, Paris, New York, Madrid)
-Museum of Fine Arts Romanov Exhibition (Omsk)
-The Tsar's Cabinet: 200 Years of Russian Decorative Arts under the Romanovs (Edmonton Canada, Jacksonville FL, Santa Ana CA)
-Annual march to Ganina Yama on the anniversary of the execution (Yekaterinburg)

There has also been some appeal to the government by the Romanov Family Association of finally burying the last remains (Alexei + sister), so I hope this comes to pass.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 05:40:43 PM by RomanovMartyrs »

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Rex and Hannah Chronicles Wikia
Re: 400th Anniversary of Romanov Dynasty
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 12:05:51 PM »
There has also been some appeal to the government by the Romanov Family Association of finally burying the last remains (Alexei + sister), so I hope this comes to pass.

Me too.  It's high time these two joined the rest of their family.

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 02:11:06 PM »
I agree as well. I do not understand the Church's objection and delays.
 I have already heard or read that all sorts of commemorations are being planned for 1917. No details on the Romanovs themselves, but the revolution and the end of WWI [for Russia]
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 05:05:39 PM »
One has to wonder what they have in mind.  In my opinion, Russia has really nothing to celebrate about 1917, that was the year Russia was cast into a Dark Age that would span nearly seventy-five years and consume millions of innocent lives. 

In my mind, it would be like Germany honouring 1933 (the year Hitler took power).

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 05:32:48 PM »
Not to get into the polemics of the Russian Revolution, it did make a remarkable change in Russian society. I see no connection to the rise of Hitler.
 On the other hand, the Romanovs are gone, have been since the abdication [1917] so what is there to celebrate about them a hundred years after wards ? If it is just a family reunion, leave it them, do not waste public money on it.
 If it is contributions to the Russian people.  Well, they are superfluous and thin. There is no more "Empire" any longer. What the Romanovs did, add forcefully, The Soviets gave back, willingly with the colllapse of the CCCP.
 We go go through all this again, but not much new to add to it, is there ?
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Offline EmmyLee

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 05:48:23 PM »
-"The Romanovs: A Great Dynasty" collection of historical carpets (Moscow, St. Petersburg, London, Paris, New York, Madrid)

Historical carpets?

I passed through Santa Ana a few weeks ago and wished I could have stopped in to see the Tsar's Cabinet exhibit. It's still going on, I'm sure, but I don't think it alone will be enough to bring me up there.

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 11:33:02 PM »
I see no connection to the rise of Hitler.

Robert, I think you've misunderstood me.  

I wasn't saying that the two events were connected, rather I was comparing the two years, 1917 and 1933.  Both saw the arrival of brutal regimes that went on to kill milllions of people.  I was wondering why would anyone (save for fringe groups on the extreme Left and Right) would want to honour that.

Also, the war for Russia ended in 1918 (when they signed the Brest-Litovsk Treaty with Germany), not  1917.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 11:36:54 PM by TimM »

Offline Sunny

• Knyaz
  • Царь Николай, твоё имя - любовь
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 03:26:44 AM »
I agree as well. I do not understand the Church's objection and delays.

I can't understand neither. Everyone has been found, so there's nomore haunt of possible claimers, what's the problem?
Please visit my site
http://thelostworldofnaotmaa.wordpress.com/

Banner courtesy of GD Ally

Vanya Ivanova

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 06:19:20 AM »

I have Russian relatives who have become slightly offended when I have made similar comments about the Soviet Era. They make the point about WWII and the terrible terrible suffering that was inflicted upon Russia but also the tremendous pride drawn from the courage and determination with which the Russian people fought off the German invasion. Over 20 million Russians died. The name change of Leningrad back to St Petersburg was felt by many to be an insult to the those who suffered and saved the city during the famous 'Seige of Leningrad'. This and Stalingrad being emblematic of 'Russia's war'. There are still plenty of people who remember WWII but virtually none who can actually remember the Tsar.

Of course almost as many Russians died as a result of Stalin's 'purges' as in WWII, but the fact remains that for many complex reasons a signifcant number of Russians have a real sense of nostalgia for the USSR that is simply not felt for the Romanovs.

The Orthodox Church however is incredibly strong and important in modern Russia and is the one pre revolutionary institution that the Soviet Era was simply unable to diminish.

Therefore IMO if the Russian Church is not entirely happy to accept these remains most ordinary Russians won't either, hence the delay to hold a funeral for the last two Romanovs. One only has to look at the difference between how the two sites of Ganina Yama and the Pigs Meadow are viewed.

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 11:51:41 AM »
Tim, yes, I did misunderstand. And, I meant that the war for the Romanovs was over 1917 with the abdication. My mistake.
Vanya I.,  well put. Russians are a very proud people.  I would not call it arrogance but a deep loyalty to their country, no matter who is ruling.

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 11:40:12 AM »
but the fact remains that for many complex reasons a signifcant number of Russians have a real sense of nostalgia for the USSR that is simply not felt for the Romanovs.

Well, Thea, I think the reason for that is the simple passage of time.  Anyone who was alive in the Tsarist era is most likely dead by now (even if you were 5 in 1917, that would make you 100 now).

However, the USSR dissolved only 21 years ago.  Most Russians living today grew up in that era, and got used to how things worked.  Then, boom, it's all gone.  I can't blame some of them for culture shock.

In many ways, those that miss the USSR are in the same boat as those who missed the Tsarist era in the 1920's.  Both had the country they know ripped away, everything they were accustomed to was gone.  The big difference is that those that miss the USSR continue to live in Russia, while those that missed the Empire had to flee for their lives.

The name change of Leningrad back to St Petersburg was felt by many to be an insult to the those who suffered and saved the city during the famous 'Seige of Leningrad

Well, I feel that it was right the city got its real name back.  Peter the Great founded that city, he opened Russia to Europe with that city.  It was his city.  Why should it be named for Lenin?  He did nothing as far as that city was concerned (of course, renaming it wasn't his idea, it was done so after he died).

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 12:16:42 PM »
Tim is quite correct about St Petersburg.  It was not  an insult to Lenin that they renamed it. He is still all over the place there,   It was because of the siege which is still called "of Leningrad"  Because that is what it was called at that time. The world knows of  as such. Unlike Kruchev's purge of Stalin,  when the CCCP collapsed, there was no rush to de-Sovietise  the country. It was left to local entities to do  as they wished. Unlike the revolution, when every scrap of Tsarism was torn down fanatically.

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 01:25:15 PM »
As an aside, I do not know what the reaction was in renaming Stalingrad to Volgograd. If there was the same sentiment.  After all, despite all his madness, he was still considered the  Saviour of Russia over the Nazis in  The Great Patriotic War. I think he remains some what of a  "cult" figure amongst older folk.

The Romanovs became somewhat less interesting after Alexander 1st. That is, no heroes.

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2012, 02:20:56 PM »
As much as I am interested in the Romanovs, I fail to see why Russia "should" bother to "celebrate" the 400th anniversary of Mikhail Fyodorovich being elected.  France didn't do a thing in 1987 for the 1,000 year anniversary of Hugh Capet becoming the first King of France.

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2012, 02:29:06 PM »
My opinion as well, FA, as I was trying to say in my messed up post earlier.