Author Topic: 400th Anniversary of Romanov Dynasty  (Read 43038 times)

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Rex and Hannah Chronicles Wikia
Re: 400th Anniversary of Romanov Dynasty
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2012, 04:28:19 PM »
After all, despite all his madness, he was still considered the  Saviour of Russia over the Nazis in  The Great Patriotic War. I think he remains some what of a  "cult" figure amongst older folk.

Of course, these people overlook the fact that Stalin intially partnered up with Hitler so he could grab the Baltic states and a nice chunk of Poland (and then there was the Katyn Massacre, which Stalin later tried to pin on the Germans).   One has to wonder how Stalin would be perceived by these older people had Hitler not broken his pact with him.

when the CCCP collapsed, there was no rush to de-Sovietise  the country. It was left to local entities to do  as they wished

Like when Leningrad reverted to St. Petersburg and Sverdlosk reverted to Ekaternburg (I imagine other cities and towns chose to take back their old pre-revolutionary names as well).

Unlike the revolution, when every scrap of Tsarism was torn down fanatically

Love it or loathe it, the USSR is part of Russia's history, like the Empire is.
Days Of OTMA's Lives is on hiatus until further notice.

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2012, 04:50:14 PM »
Very true Tim, about Stalin. I have not yet reached that understanding of why  Russians seem to admire Stalin for one thing [the war] but tend to ignore the other [the purges, famines, bad planning and egotism]. And to top all of this, a neo-nazi  "movement" in the picture . That baffles me.  I know they just  young toughs and no not even know what Nazism is, but it is disturbing. Not only in Russia.
 400 years of Romanovs ?  Ridiculous, what about celebrating the change from 1989 ?
 BTW,  in 1973, Britain "celebrated" 1 thousand years of monarchy, rather low key. But, they are still a monarchy.
 The Romanovs are dust now. Interesting and full of features, but as relevance,  no real influence.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2012, 05:15:19 PM »
And to top all of this, a neo-nazi  "movement" in the picture . That baffles me.  I know they just  young toughs and no not even know what Nazism is, but it is disturbing. Not only in Russia

yeah, these guys bother me too.

I remember seeing a news story about one such neo-Nazi rally in Germany in the 90's.  Most of them were young, but among them you saw men in their 70's and 80's, proudly wearing their old uniforms.  These men were smiling, as if thinking "The Fuhrer's dream is alive and well."    Like Stalin, Hitler has those who admire him, despite his crimes. 

Offline Christian_II

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2012, 11:24:28 PM »
well, Romanovs er not quite dust, I think almost all the European royal houses are related to the Romanovs, but of course the Romanovs not directly on the throne longer even though all their symbols are reintroduced

Offline Laura Mabee

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Art in Avatar done by Lisa!
    • View Profile
    • Frozentears.Org
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2012, 10:13:16 PM »
On the chance of throwing off the flow of the topic, I do appreciate the update on the events of 2013.
I plan to go to Russia, so I would love to see what I can hit up and where/when.
Thanks guys for always being awesome! : )

Offline Rodney_G.

• Knyaz
  • an angel .....and the best of them
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2012, 01:26:08 PM »

The Orthodox Church however is incredibly strong and important in modern Russia and is the one pre revolutionary institution that the Soviet Era was simply unable to diminish.

Therefore IMO if the Russian Church is not entirely happy to accept these remains most ordinary Russians won't either, hence the delay to hold a funeral for the last two Romanovs. One only has to look at the difference between how the two sites of Ganina Yama and the Pigs Meadow are viewed.

Vanya, I must say I don't understand this. The Russian Orthodox Church had questions about the identity of the Romanov remains from Ekaterinburg , but to the extent that those remains are now overwhelmingly proven to be those of Alexei and Maria, I would think the Orthodox Church, still as you say important in Russian life today, and extremely sympathetic to the Imperial Family, would endorse a good, decent ,maybe even prominent burial of the two Imperial children beside their sisters and parents in the Peter and Paul Cathedral.
Rodney G.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2012, 01:39:43 PM »
Hillwood Museum will be doing a large exhibition on the coronation of the Tsars starting in Feb 2012 and running until June.

http://www.hillwoodmuseum.org/whats/exhibitions/pageant-tsars

The pomp and pageantry of imperial coronations were documented and promoted in lavish albums that became almost as important as the extravagant events themselves. To mark the 400th anniversary of the founding of the Romanov dynasty in 2013, Hillwood will present a special exhibition of the albums created over the course of the family’s reign. Over the course of their reign, the Romanovs celebrated coronations with elaborate celebrations, which included their grand entry into Moscow, fireworks, and the ruler symbolically crowning himself. Fully illustrating the grand celebration and all its details, sumptuous albums were created to spread word of the event and all its symbolism.

In the year of the 400th anniversary of the crowning of the first Romanov tsar, the most complete presentation ever of these coronation albums, including two copies of the monumental Alexander II album of 1856 with one in its original binding, will be on display at Hillwood. Beginning with Catherine I, Peter the Great’s wife, there were a total of seven coronation albums created by the Russian tsars—each published within a few years of the event. The exhibition will feature five albums from Hillwood’s collection, plus supplemental material on loan from the New York Public Library, the Library of Congress, and the University of Texas at Austin, bringing together six of the seven coronation albums together for the first time in an exhibition in the United States.

With objects from Hillwood’s Russian decorative arts and paintings collection—the most comprehensive one outside of Russia—an exploration of the Romanovs’ lasting influence on Russian art and culture will add to the understanding of their reign and the coronation albums. Coronation books from other countries such as the Holy Roman Empire will illustrate the bearing that the West had on the Romanovs and the dynamic relationship of the cultures.

The Albums

These lavishly produced albums are art objects in their own right with eye-catching bindings and illustrations—primarily engravings and chromolithographs—by the best artists and craftsmen of their day. Published in small print runs they were presented to other courts, diplomats, family members, and important guests by the Tsar. Because they were not widely available beyond these circles, a public collection like Hillwood’s, with five of the seven albums, is rare. Featuring views of coronation processions and ceremonies; images of official dinners, balls, and imperial regalia; exact copies of dinner menus and more, the albums offer a fascinating portrait of the dynasty, and what each ruler wanted us to see and remember for posterity..

In addition, the images of each coronation album will be digitized and presented as an interactive technology component, allowing visitors to scroll through the book, examine images not on view, and zoom in on details. The digital book will be available as a free download from the Apple iBooks store and available for use on iPads placed in the exhibition space.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline edubs31

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2012, 03:02:52 PM »
Make that Feb-June 2013. Sounds exciting and I'll mark my calendar...thanks for the heads up!
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...

Offline Jen_94

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • GrandRoyalPalace
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2012, 06:39:20 AM »
Sounds very interesting!

Offline Inok Nikolai

• Graf
  • Irkutsk, Russia 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2012, 09:26:04 AM »
The Alexander Palace unveiled a new Faberge egg by Karl's grandson, Theo, to commemorate the 400th anniversary of the Romanovs.

Paul Gilbert reports:

http://www.angelfire.com/pa/ImperialRussian/blog/index.blog/1438981/romanov-quadricentenary-egg/
инок Николай

RomanovMartyrs

« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2012, 09:54:20 AM »
On the chance of throwing off the flow of the topic, I do appreciate the update on the events of 2013.
I plan to go to Russia, so I would love to see what I can hit up and where/when.
Thanks guys for always being awesome! : )

Let me know if you'd like to meet up and see some stuff together! I'll be living here for a while and wouldn't mind hanging with another Romanov buff (none of my friends here get it lol)!!

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2012, 12:11:38 PM »
none of my friends here get it lol

You're not the only one this has happened to, Elizabeth.  I can watch my friends eyes glaze over when I start talking about the Romanovs.

Offline Jen_94

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • GrandRoyalPalace
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2012, 05:11:41 PM »

You're not the only one this has happened to, Elizabeth.  I can watch my friends eyes glaze over when I start talking about the Romanovs.

Same here!

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2012, 07:16:39 PM »
That's why I'm glad we have this great board.

RomanovMartyrs

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2012, 05:48:19 AM »

Same here!

How do you know my name? O_o

But yes, haha. It's particularly terrible here in St. Petersburg. I live in the city center and hear plenty of tour guides giving their "historical insight" to the tourists. I have never ever heard one get the birth years right, nor the children's ages at time of death. Drives me up the WALL. On Sunday I heard a guy on a tour at AP say, "Oh, this was Anastasia's house? She's the one that got away, right?" And the tour guide said yes. -_-