Author Topic: 400th Anniversary of Romanov Dynasty  (Read 44859 times)

Offline Louis_Charles

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: 400th Anniversary of Romanov Dynasty
« Reply #60 on: September 22, 2012, 04:11:34 PM »
Just a couple of things that might be interesting in view of this very informative discussion: last year the Grand Duke of Luxemburg was at loggerheads with his government because he refuses to sign a bill allowing abortion. Don't know how that worked out. And Lichtenstein  just recently voted to allow the ruling family to retain real power on the theory that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
"Simon --- Classy AND Compassionate!"

"The road to enlightenment is long and difficult, so take snacks and a magazine."

Offline Tsarfan

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Miss the kings, but not the kingdoms
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 22, 2012, 04:21:12 PM »
It didn't work out too well.  Grand Duke Henri's power of veto was revoked.  In 1990, the King of Belgium refused to sign an abortion bill, and the bill was promulgated without his signature.

Lichtenstein covers 62 square miles and has a population of 35,000.  I'm not quite sure what real power means there.

Offline Tsarfan

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 22, 2012, 05:10:18 PM »
Just to be more specific:

Grand Duke Henri's power of veto was revoked in 2008 when he refused to sign a euthanasia bill into law.  The Luxembourg Parliament voted almost unanimously to amend the constitution to take the monarch out of the legislative equation altogether, and Henry acquiesced in order to avoid further confrontation.

As I said earlier, I really do feel that if the Benelux monarchs tried to take a stand against elected representatives on any matter of public policy, they would be swatted down immediately . . . and they know it.  Honestly, it seems to me that holding those jobs is almost an embarrassment.  You're little more than a receptionist at the front desk of the firm that runs things.

Offline Louis_Charles

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 22, 2012, 05:16:33 PM »
Well, you can't say Henri didn't try to keep the fires burning. And I wouldn't be so snarky about Lichtenstein. It is a major center for banking of the Mitt Romney variety. They may indeed be powerful! In fact, perhaps the alliance of the Cayman islands, Switzerland and Lichtenstein will one day RULE THE WORLD! Did Henri abdicate? I dimly recall that he threatened to do that rather than sign the law. Perhaps by removing him from the process, they did him a favor.
"Simon --- Classy AND Compassionate!"

"The road to enlightenment is long and difficult, so take snacks and a magazine."

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 22, 2012, 05:35:47 PM »
King Baudouin of Belgium abdicated for one day in order not to sign the abortion bill.
 And, I believe Queen of Netherlands has  stepped in more than once to take charge [with the best advisors, of course]  when the government  could not reach a coalition. Lucien knows more about than I do.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline Tsarfan

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 22, 2012, 05:57:37 PM »
And I wouldn't be so snarky about Lichtenstein. It is a major center for banking of the Mitt Romney variety. They may indeed be powerful! In fact, perhaps the alliance of the Cayman islands, Switzerland and Lichtenstein will one day RULE THE WORLD!

Right on, Lords of Finance!  And, from what I've seen of GD Maria's wardrobe, she's going to need someone to float the loans to outfit her for her accession.

Offline Pegschalet

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2013, 10:03:05 PM »
Maybe I'm off base here but I came to this posting to find out about information relating to events for the 400th anniversary of the Romanov dynasty.   The majority of postings have nothing to do with this.  Anyways, do I need to start a new topic or can we use this one for events taking place in 2013.  I'm particularly looking for events in the United States.  I hope to get to the Hillwood Museum.

Offline Lucien

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Courtier
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 04, 2013, 05:47:50 AM »
King Baudouin of Belgium abdicated for one day in order not to sign the abortion bill.
 And, I believe Queen of Netherlands has  stepped in more than once to take charge [with the best advisors, of course]  when the government  could not reach a coalition. Lucien knows more about than I do.

I wish you were still around to talk on this and other matters...but I only saw this post just now...
Je Maintiendrai

Offline Inok Nikolai

• Graf
  • Irkutsk, Russia 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2014, 11:33:34 AM »
Maybe I'm off base here but I came to this posting to find out about information relating to events for the 400th anniversary of the Romanov dynasty.   The majority of postings have nothing to do with this.  Anyways, do I need to start a new topic or can we use this one for events taking place in 2013.  I'm particularly looking for events in the United States.  I hope to get to the Hillwood Museum.

Several State Archives in Russia have announced a joint project to put more of the documents in their collections on line, as reported by Paul Gilbert:

http://tinyurl.com/mb86ffv

Monday, 10 February 2014
Russian Archives Unveils Online Project Dedicated to 400th Anniversary of the Romanov Dynasty

The Russian Federal Archival Agency have launched an online project dedicated to the 400th Anniversary of the Romanov Dynasty. The project has been prepared to familiarize the public with historic documents relating to the Romanov dynasty held in the Archives Fund of the Russian Federation.

The web site includes 1377 photographs and other images, and 587 original archival documents from the following archives: Russian State Archive of Ancient Acts, State Archive of the Russian Federation, State Archive of the Kostroma region, photographs of the Moscow Kremlin State Historical and Cultural Museum-Preserve and the State Historical Museum. The documents, photographs, etc from the archives are organized chronologically by tsars and emperors of the Romanov dynasty.

Also presented are the family correspondence members of the House of Romanov - from Tsar Mikhail Fedorovich to Emperor Nicholas II, autographs of tsars and emperors and their families, documents outlining the organization of their daily life, education, hobbies, interests and abilities. Many rare personal items belonging to the Romanovs can also be seen on display in this web site.

Rare documentary evidence of marriages of Russia’s sovereigns can also be seen from the 17th-20th centuries, and materials on favourable marriages between members of the House of Romanov with representatives of major European dynasties.

Other documents of interest include materials on the circumstances and the course of palace coups, rare documents on the organization of the coronation ceremonies and the royal and imperial regalia. Then, you can see the unique materials on the organization of burials of members of the Russian Imperial family, ceremonies mourning processions, etc.

This archival web site, dedicated to the 400th anniversary of the Romanov dynasty, will be of particular interest to scholars and historians, allowing them access to new documents held in a variety of Russian archives. The web site is only available in Russian.

400th Anniversary Romanov Dynasty

© Paul Gilbert @ Royal Russia. 10 February, 2014
инок Николай