Author Topic: Ella's Regiment  (Read 13017 times)

Offline JamesAPrattIII

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Ella's Regiment
« on: May 08, 2012, 06:58:25 PM »
Ella was the honorary Colonel of a regiment believe it or not
the 5th Her Imperial Highness Elizabeth feodorovna Kiev Grenadier regiment of the 2nd Grenadier Division, Grenadier corps it started WW I with the 4th army, Southwest front. During the war Grenadier corps was with the following armies 4th August 1914-April 1916, 3rd April-june 1916, 4th June- July 1916, 2nd July 1916-december 1917. From August 1914 to the late summer/fall 1915 the unit would have been fighting the Austrians after that it would have been facing the Germans as part of the Western front when the great retreat of 1915 ended and stayed there until the army fell apart in late 1917.

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/
Re: Ella's Regiment
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 03:45:19 PM »
Ella was the honorary Colonel of a regiment believe it or not
the 5th Her Imperial Highness Elizabeth feodorovna Kiev Grenadier regiment of the 2nd Grenadier Division, Grenadier corps it started WW I with the 4th army, Southwest front. During the war Grenadier corps was with the following armies 4th August 1914-April 1916, 3rd April-june 1916, 4th June- July 1916, 2nd July 1916-december 1917. From August 1914 to the late summer/fall 1915 the unit would have been fighting the Austrians after that it would have been facing the Germans as part of the Western front when the great retreat of 1915 ended and stayed there until the army fell apart in late 1917.

She was their Chief in 1905-1912 years. Also she was the honorary Chief of 17th Chernigovsliy Hussar Regiment in 1897-1908 years.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 07:25:56 AM »
Never saw Ella in military uniform like her Aunt Marie of Edinburgh, his sister the Empress and her nieces.

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 11:32:46 AM »
I don't think it is all that surprising that Ella was a Colonel-in-Chief. It was the norm for Grand Dukes and Grand Duchesses, though perhaps what James is saying that he is surprised that she continued in this role after entering religion.

In the British context, the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards (successor regiment to the Royal Scots Greys) are proud of their association with Nicholas II. All ranks wear black patches behind the cap badge in mourning for him and the Imperial Anthem is played at Officers' Mess dinners. Franz Josef was Colonel-in-Chief of the King's Dragoon Guards, and their successor regiment, the Queen's Dragoon Guards, continue to wear the Habsburg double eagle as a cap badge.

The Kaiser was, of course, Colonel-in-Chief of the Royal Dragoons, but I'm not sure what view the Blues & Royals take of that!

Ann

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 03:55:38 PM »
The fact that she was not dressed in that role nor delegate it after she became a nun is strange...

Offline JamesAPrattIII

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 06:20:59 PM »
I got this information on Ella's and the other Russian regiments on Marks Russian Military History page. It has in July 1914 the 17th HIH GD Michael Alexandrovich Chornigov Hussars. This is Nicholas brother As for Kaiser Wilhelm II he was striped of his British honors ect during WW I as was Franz Joesf II and all other princes who were at war with England. Wilhem was supposedly really upset over this. He was also an admiral in the Royal navy, Swedish navy and Russian navy. Wilhem once changed into his Grand Admirals uniform to tour an aquarium and on another occation he change into it to see a nautical themed opera! He was also honoray Colonel of the 85th Infantry  and 13 Hussar regiments  in the Russian army. During WW II the Emporer Hirohito was striped of all his British awards ect. however, I understand he was given them back 30+ years later after the war by the Queen and it created a minor stink so to speak. I hope this is of some use.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 07:11:30 PM »
Thanks for the info. I do think the Queen should give this to the new emperor rather than acknowledge the father. It was a bitter pill for many British POW to swallow...No news on pics of Ella in uniform.

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 03:01:33 AM »
I did read in a biography of Wilhelm that some of the tales of his dressing up are exagerated - that he went to a performance of The Flying Dutchman in Admiral's uniform is one. However, the same biography admitted that he went to a dinner of the Berlin Motor Club garbed as a General of Engineers.

Interestingly, there were similar tales about Hermann Goering in the 1930s.

Ann

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 07:46:25 AM »
Yes Wilhelm has always been obsessed with dress. However it is a trait that he shared with his cousin, Foxy Ferdinand of Bulgaria and at a lesser degree his hated uncle Bertie.

I still want to see Ella in a uniform. Help !

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 01:00:59 PM »

I still want to see Ella in a uniform. Help !

Only once I've seen in her correspondence a mention that she dressed a sort of uniform of her Hussar regiment - the occasion was the Day of the regiment (if I remember correctly) and it was in Ilinskoe.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2012, 03:40:52 PM »
Was she photographed ?

Offline Yelena Aleksandrovna

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Fortuna vitrea est; tum cum splendet frangitur
    • View Profile
    • *Glitter Of The Past*
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2012, 06:28:40 PM »
I think that is is unlikely that the Grand Duchess was photographed or even portrayed in her Regimental uniform. How was the uniform of this regiment? Sorry, I don't know very much about this. Well, I was wondering if the design and colors were similar than the ones used in the Regimental uniform of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna, who was also Chief of Hussars (of course, not the same, and colors and designs can be different).
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 06:30:35 PM by Yelena Aleksandrovna »
Russia cannot be grasped with the mind, or measured in feet and inches, for she has a special character: In Russia one can only believe. ~Fyodor Tyutchev.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2012, 06:58:30 PM »
I think the Empress, Dowager Empress, Grand Duchess Marie Alexandrovna (Duchess of Coburg), Grand Duchess Vladimir (Marie Paulovna the elder), Grand Duchesses Olga & Tatiana were all photographed in military uniforms. I couldn't imagine Ella did not take advantage of it and put on a uniform.

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2012, 03:59:11 AM »
For the 1910 pattern uniforms go to http://www.xenophon-mil.org/rusarmy/shenk/shenklist.htm

Ann

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2012, 06:04:47 AM »
Was she photographed ?

Never seen any photo. Possibly she should have been photographed on that Regiment Day, mentioned in her letters, but who knows where are now those (possible) photos. And it was not exactly the uniform, she said it was a sort of regiment uniform/outfit.