Author Topic: Rare Color Photos of the AP Interiors from 1917 RETURN to the Palace!  (Read 60383 times)

Offline Tsarfan

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Miss the kings, but not the kingdoms
    • View Profile
Re: Rare Color Photos of the AP Interiors from 1914 RETURN to the Palace!
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2012, 07:15:39 AM »
I appreciate all the accolades about the assistance I gave the TS museum authority in acquiring these plates.  However, I want to be sure the real credit goes to where it belongs:  to the current generation of people, largely women, who now run the museum complex and have ensured that the Alexander Palace is restored responsibly with an attention to authenticity, quality, and detail that had been sadly lacking in prior years.

I have not given financial support to earlier restoration work at the Palace, as I viewed that as largely the responsibility of the Russian government, which has spent vast sums on renovating other imperial-era buildings, sometimes with sublime sensitivity (as at Pavlovsk and the Catherine Palace) and sometimes not so much.

But the sale of these autochromes presented a unique opportunity and a unique problem.  They are a critical resource to any serious restorationist and one that should be in the hands of the Palace administration for that purpose.  At the same time, government funding – in Russia as anywhere else – is of necessity structured in such a way that blank checks cannot be written for auction bidding against unknown competitors.  And that left the museum authorities in a bind at a moment when time was of the essence.

For that reason, I decided to underwrite the bidding to ensure the acquisition of the plates by the museum.  And I did so because the hands into which they would pass at the museum were hands that have again taken up the Russian mission to restore her architectural heritage with integrity, both artistic and financial.

I encourage all on this forum and elsewhere to use the new channel that Bob Atchison is working with the museum to create for private donations to the museum’s mission.  Not only will it help the museum keep funds on hand to seize fleeting opportunities to return key artifacts to the Palace but – even more importantly – it will demonstrate to the Russian government in a very meaningful way that the Alexander Palace is part of an architectural heritage valued by many all over the world and therefore make it easier for government agencies to justify the direction of the truly large sums needed to the Alexander Palace’s continuing restoration and maintenance.

Mike Pyles

Offline edubs31

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2012, 09:26:47 AM »
Well I think you are being a bit modest Mr. Pyles, if I may say so! This was an overwhelmingly thoughtful gift!

However, I want to be sure the real credit goes to where it belongs:  to the current generation of people, largely women, who now run the museum complex and have ensured that the Alexander Palace is restored responsibly with an attention to authenticity, quality, and detail that had been sadly lacking in prior years.

Bless them and you!

For that reason, I decided to underwrite the bidding to ensure the acquisition of the plates by the museum.

Just curious...was doing a matching bid, dollars for dollars, out of the question?

I encourage all on this forum and elsewhere to use the new channel that Bob Atchison is working with the museum to create for private donations to the museum’s mission.

Will do! And I'll be first in line to contribute in any comparatively smaller way I can afford to...
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2012, 10:11:07 AM »
Edubs, remember please the auction estimate was for only $5-7000! Nobody began to imagine that the bidding would end at 53,000 EUROS which is about $70,000 US!  The initial gift of "up to $25,000" was anticipated to be enough.

Offline BobAtchison

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • The Alexander Palace
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2012, 10:31:03 AM »
Christine Martin and I will be working on the Friends together....  As I wrote earlier we don't know if it will be called Friends of the Alexander Palace or Tsarskoye Selo Friends Society.  We are waiting for the museums to decide.

Offline BobAtchison

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • The Alexander Palace
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2012, 10:46:05 AM »
Mike:

That was a very thoughtful posting.  Thank you.

Bob

Offline Laura Mabee

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Art in Avatar done by Lisa!
    • View Profile
    • Frozentears.Org
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2012, 10:56:51 PM »
Thank you so much everyone. FA, Mr. Atchison, Ms. Martin, and Mr. Pyles. Without your kind soul and spirit I can only imagine where those autochromes would have ended up.
Your hard work is truly commendable. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I look forward to contributing monthly in this new venture that has been created, Thank you Bob for making that possible.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 11:22:22 PM by Laura Mabee »

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Tell me the truth, monsieur
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2012, 09:41:37 AM »
For all involved: Such sterling leading by example is very rare and imo,  it will be very far reaching...bless you

"Give my love to all who remember me."

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline Rodney_G.

• Knyaz
  • an angel .....and the best of them
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2012, 03:19:00 PM »
Pardon my ignorance or naivete, but just what, exactly is an "autochrome " color plate? Is it a brand name, or photo process, or just another name for color photography? The value of this acquisition goes without saying in any case.
Rodney G.

Offline Tsarfan

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Miss the kings, but not the kingdoms
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2012, 03:54:16 PM »
It was a color process invented shortly after the turn of the 20th century and used universally until the 1930's when color film was developed using a different approach.  Interestingly, modern color digital photography is a return in some sense to the autochrome process.  There's a good synopsis of the process and its history on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autochrome_Lumière

Offline edubs31

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2012, 05:27:17 PM »
It was a color process invented shortly after the turn of the 20th century and used universally until the 1930's when color film was developed using a different approach.  Interestingly, modern color digital photography is a return in some sense to the autochrome process.  There's a good synopsis of the process and its history on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autochrome_Lumière

If I understand correctly the famous photographer Sergey Gorsky, who was commissioned by Tsar Nicholas to document Russian life and landscape in color, used the standard three-colored process of monochrome that was popular at the time. Autochrome was first marketed in 1907 and something of an upstart method challenging monochrome. It's heyday appears to have ended around 1935 when the Kodak company introduced their 'Kodachrome' method.
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2012, 09:17:09 PM »
Prokhudin Gorskii invented his own unique color process, using three different plates. A process totally different to autochrome.  Both processes were very difficult. Autochromes could only be used as glass plates. Prokhudin Gorskii was at least able to be reproduced. 

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2012, 09:51:18 AM »
Wonderful news this morning! From the Palace Museum: "Dear Bob, ..., It is a great pleasure for us to work with you.  I have shown your design of a Friends' site to all involved, and everyone admires your professional skills and approves the design itself and your ideas about the site.  ... We will be able to fulfill (Mr. Pyles') requirements for the additional gift.  We have paid for the autochromes having borrowed the money from some of our museum's (other) funds.  We have also signed a contract with a shipping company and they are ready to deliver our purchase. We are sending Mr. Pyles and official Letter of thanks for his previous gift."

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2012, 08:42:56 AM »
The Autochromes are safely arrived at the Tsarskoye Selo Museums!

Offline edubs31

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2012, 09:45:09 AM »
The Autochromes are safely arrived at the Tsarskoye Selo Museums!

Terrific news! Thanks again to Mr. Pyles and all those involved...

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2012, 12:53:10 PM »
Such good news! Has anyone had a chance to see them? I'm very eager to hear which rooms were photographed.
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King