Author Topic: A Bride for the Tsar by Russell E. Martin  (Read 2019 times)

Offline Suzanne

• Graf
    • View Profile
    • Carolyn Harris Royal Historian
A Bride for the Tsar by Russell E. Martin
« on: July 14, 2012, 01:42:53 PM »
Here is my review of A Bride for the Tsar: Bride-Shows and Marriage Politics in Early Modern Russia.

It's a fascinating look at the marriages of Russian Tsars from Vassily III to Peter the Great

http://www.royalhistorian.com/the-romanov-book-reviews-3-a-bride-for-the-tsar-bride-shows-and-marriage-politics-in-early-modern-russia-by-russell-e-martin/

Offline KarinK

• Boyar
    • View Profile
Re: A Bride for the Tsar by Russell E. Martin
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 06:01:47 AM »
The book has been a very interesting study of the reality behind the fairytale idea of the king choosing the loveliest girl to be his wife. My reading has focused on the later Romanovs in whose time marriages were arranged quite differently, yet I still found it possible to follow the politics of these unfamiliar figures because I felt that Martin provided enough information about the situation. This is a university press publication, but I didn't need to be a historian to enjoy it.

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 06:15:10 AM »
It sounds very interesting indeed. Can I get hold of it in the UK?

Regards

Ann

Offline KarinK

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 06:36:26 AM »
I bought my copy at Waterstones when I was in London last winter. It was on the remainder shelf so there was a discount, but even if Waterstones has sold the remainders by now (sometimes the same books stay on the shelves for ages, though) they might be able to help with ordering a copy.