Author Topic: Empress Elisabeth, Part V.  (Read 187476 times)

Offline Yelena Aleksandrovna

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • *Glitter Of The Past*
Re: Empress Elisabeth, Part V.
« Reply #90 on: July 30, 2013, 12:06:52 PM »
...And the painting is beautiful, do you have a year for it?

I didn't find information about this in the site where I found it, neither I did in other where I saw the same painting. IMO it must be from the 1850's or early 1860's, the pouffy skirt seems to be a crinoline one, as well as the hairdo, she used to arrange her hair in that way at that time. Franz Joseph looks young too. Perhaps I can be wrong and it was made later.

From wikimedia commons: Satined glass in Linz (Austria) commemorating the 50th aniverssary of Empreror Franz Joseph´s reign, 1898 (It was made the same year of the Empress´death too!) The lady at the right is labeled as the Archduchess Gisela and the kids are possibly the Archduchess Gisela's kids. <Click on the image for bigger>

« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 12:16:37 PM by Yelena Aleksandrovna »

Offline Jen_94

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • GrandRoyalPalace
« Reply #91 on: July 31, 2013, 12:50:03 PM »
...And the painting is beautiful, do you have a year for it?

I didn't find information about this in the site where I found it, neither I did in other where I saw the same painting. IMO it must be from the 1850's or early 1860's, the pouffy skirt seems to be a crinoline one, as well as the hairdo, she used to arrange her hair in that way at that time. Franz Joseph looks young too. Perhaps I can be wrong and it was made later.

From wikimedia commons: Satined glass in Linz (Austria) commemorating the 50th aniverssary of Empreror Franz Joseph´s reign, 1898 (It was made the same year of the Empress´death too!) The lady at the right is labeled as the Archduchess Gisela and the kids are possibly the Archduchess Gisela's kids. <Click on the image for bigger>

Ah that's a shame you don't have an exact year for it! From my observation, I'd say perhaps early 1860's?

Gorgeous stained glass window! I love them, thanks for posting.

Offline Carolath Habsburg

• Velikye Knyaz
  • As seen on TUMBLR!
    • View Profile
    • Victorian & edwardian roleplay in spanish!
« Reply #92 on: July 31, 2013, 05:42:26 PM »
Jen, according this site is from 1854

"Kaiserin Elisabeth und Kaiser Franz Joseph zu Pferd, Zamnio, nach 1854"

http://www.guideslide.at/slides/slides/32-das_appartment_der_furstin

Courtesy of Grand Duchess Ally

"...Пусть он землю бережет родную, А любовь Катюша сбережет....". Grand Duchess Ekaterina Fyodorovna to Grand Duke Georgiy Alexandrovich. 1914

Join the cause "We want an Ignore button

Offline Jen_94

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • GrandRoyalPalace
« Reply #93 on: August 01, 2013, 07:07:01 PM »
Thank you! Yelena was quite right when she said 1850's then. It's a nice painting.

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • *Glitter Of The Past*
« Reply #94 on: August 02, 2013, 12:30:44 PM »
Thank you for the date Carolath!

A portrait based on her famous photoshoot with dog Shadow

Not a new one but a bit different verssion of this portrait, I wonder if it is a modern copy because the colors look much brighter than the ones of the first an more common one. (Click on the image for bigger!)

Offline Jen_94

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • GrandRoyalPalace
« Reply #95 on: August 07, 2013, 07:43:59 AM »
Oh I do like the first one! I think I remember seeing the photo that was based on?

Offline KarlandZita

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Mama Regina Elena
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 26, 2013, 04:56:06 PM »
Portrait with a dog, 1875 :

Reginei Mama Elena a Romaniei

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • *Glitter Of The Past*
« Reply #97 on: December 09, 2013, 11:52:22 AM »
From pinterest, Empress Sissi ca. 1860's by Franz Russ (I think that after 1867, it seems to be based in one of her Hungarian coronation photos )

Offline Carolath Habsburg

• Velikye Knyaz
  • As seen on TUMBLR!
    • View Profile
    • Victorian & edwardian roleplay in spanish!
« Reply #98 on: December 10, 2013, 12:03:21 PM »
There s actually two portrait which were on action . The other one, by the same artits was one of Franz Josef

Here the page who had it on auction

http://www.imkinsky.com/de/app/direktverkauf/19-jahrhundert_98-1?rows=45

And here to see the other portrait

http://lemaldusiecle.tumblr.com/post/67945904691/carolathhabsburg-portraits-of-kaiser-franz

Courtesy of Grand Duchess Ally

"...Пусть он землю бережет родную, А любовь Катюша сбережет....". Grand Duchess Ekaterina Fyodorovna to Grand Duke Georgiy Alexandrovich. 1914

Join the cause "We want an Ignore button

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • *Glitter Of The Past*
« Reply #99 on: December 23, 2013, 12:51:38 PM »
Illustration of the official visit of the Russian Imperial Couple to Austria, 1896:  Franz Joseph with Empress Alexandra and behind them Nicholas II with a lady.... is she supposed to be Empress Sissi? She reminds me a lot  Archduchess Stephanie rather than Sissi. Any idea??

<Click on the image for bigger>

****Copyright of the image: Peter Crawford****

>>>Thanks Carolath for FJ's portrait by Franz Russ!! :-)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 12:55:53 PM by Yelena Aleksandrovna »

Offline Mandie, the Gothic Empress

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Olga.Tatiana.Maria.Anastasia + Alexei
    • View Profile
    • Romanovs of Russia
« Reply #100 on: December 23, 2013, 01:28:10 PM »
no I think your right, its Crown Princess Stephanie!

the Empress Elisabeth was more anti-social then the shy and nervous Russian Empress! And was possibly out and about doing her own thing.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 01:30:05 PM by Mandie, the Gothic Empress »

Offline KarinK

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 23, 2013, 02:14:49 PM »
According to Sophie Buxhoeveden, Elisabeth was in Vienna (the visit isn't mentioned in the Elisabeth biography I have, but it might have been considered too minor to be included): "The Empress Elizabeth of Austria, who had quite retired from Court after the tragic death of her son, the Crown Prince Rudolph, came especially to Vienna to welcome the young Empress and was exceedingly kind to her. This was the only time they ever met. Both the Emperor and the Empress fell immediately under the spell of the Empress Elizabeth's romantic personality, and never forgot the picture of loveliness she made at the State dinner at the Hofburg which took place, by the way, at five P.M., as the Emperor Franz Josef had remained faithful to the hour of his young days. The Empress Elizabeth had retained her great beauty. She was all in black, and her glorious thick hair had still kept its deep brown colour." Maybe that is meant to be her in the illustration even though it's not a great likeness?

This is supposed to be a photo of Alexandra and Elisabeth:

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • *Glitter Of The Past*
« Reply #102 on: December 23, 2013, 03:36:53 PM »
You're right KarinK!! I was checking a copy of Clara Tschudi biography about Sissi and found the next when she described the visit of the Emperor and Empress of Russia to Austria in 1896:
-I'll try to look for more information-

"The only time that she [Empress Elisabeth] appeared at a Court festivity after the death of her son, was on the occasion of the visit of the Tzar and Tzarina to Vienna, when her presence at the gala reception excited even more curiosity and interest than the sight of the Russian Imperial couple, and a sort of hushed reverence greeted her as she entered leaning on the arm of the Tzar. She was in deep mourning as usual, and bowed to all present with queenly dignity, looking at least twenty years younger than any of her contemporaries, in spite of the sorrows she had endured, which justified the title still due to her of " the loveliest woman of her Court."

If I'm not wrong, this official visit and the Hungarian Millenium celebration were the only official acts where she participated that year. I'm surprised to read that Sissi, in fact, entered leaning on the arm of Nicholas II, so it means that the lady portrayed is in fact Sissi (although she looks more like Stephanie, as Mandie and I said). I'm not sure if the Crown Princess Stephanie participated at that event.

Thank you for the photo Karin, is a great pity that it is too small and the ladies of the carraige can't be clearly seen :-(
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 03:50:01 PM by Yelena Aleksandrovna »

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • *Glitter Of The Past*
« Reply #103 on: December 24, 2013, 12:59:17 PM »
One day like today but 176 years ago was born in Munich the Empress Sissi... Happy 176th birthday!!! XD

Offline KarinK

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 26, 2013, 03:23:01 AM »
I found another illustration of Nicholas and Alexandra's visit. Here Elisabeth looks more like herself.