Author Topic: SLavo-British legion  (Read 5254 times)

Offline tecsatan

• View Profile
    • Right to title
SLavo-British legion
« on: October 13, 2012, 08:47:36 AM »
HI All,

I am interested in the Slavo-British Legion. My Great Granddad was in the Legion after previously holding a rank of Captain of the 1st rank in the Imperial Russian Navy as an engineer. I know he was based at the British base in Arkhangelsk and rose to the rank of Major General.

What I want to know is what Uniforms did they wear?

Did they appear in British Uniforms or in there old Russian Empire Uniforms? Or did the Legion have it's own Uniforms? 

I have photo's of my Great Granddad in his Imperial Russian Uniform however I would like to find out what he would have looked like later on in history.

Does anyone have any insight?

Thanks
His Illustrious Highness, the Count Adam Nicholas Schemanoff, of The Russian Empire

Offline Mike

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Erast Fandorin Museum
Re: SLavo-British legion
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 06:03:36 AM »
The Legion was a British auxiliary voluntary unit - rather than part of the Russian White forces. Its members carried British ranks, wore British regular uniforms (with special cap badges) and used British weapons and equipment.

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 04:42:55 AM »
Any further information would be welcome.

According to family stories, my maternal grandfather served in Russia for a few months in 1919, but we have no details on the episode. According to my mother, it was the only part of quite a colourful life that he never talked about! The story goes that he was in need of money to get married and went to Russia for that reason, which suggests some sort of mercenary service.

What I have established is that my grandfather was demobbed from the British Army in April 1919, having been a 1914 volunteer, and was in England getting married by the end of August.

Ann

Offline JamesAPrattIII

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 09:27:36 PM »
The Great war forum would be the place to go for information on this unit. I believe they have a number of posts dealing with it.

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 03:37:33 AM »
Many thanks.

Ann