Author Topic: Yacht of Tsar Nicholas I?  (Read 12585 times)

Offline Dru

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Yacht of Tsar Nicholas I?
« on: October 16, 2012, 07:06:52 PM »
I assume Tsar Nicholas I had a yacht or leisure boat of some sort, but I can find nothing on the subject, so I was hoping someone out there could help me.  If it existed, what was it called, and where did he sail it?

Offline IvanVII

• View Profile
Re: Yacht of Tsar Nicholas I?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 11:14:12 PM »

Offline Dru

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 03:16:07 PM »
Just a couple of threads down.

http://forum.alexanderpalace.org/index.php?topic=578.0

Thank you, IvanVII, but that thread seams to be about Tsar Nicholas II's yacht, the Standart.  I am seeking information about a yacht beloning to his great-grandfather, Tsar Nicholas I. :)

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 09:22:19 AM »
Can we be certain that Nicholas I actually had a yacht. He died in 1855, and royal yachts didn't really 'catch on' until later in the 19th century. As a continental monarch from the midst of the European land mass, Nicholas cannot have had much need for making sea crossings, unlike, for example, Queen Victoria, who had to cross the Channel in order to go anywhere outside her own domains.

I've never heard of Franz Josef having a yacht either.

Ann

Offline Dru

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 03:53:28 PM »
I wasn't sure--I've heard stories of him boating with his family, so I figured they probably had something similar to the Standart.  But you could very well be correct.

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 06:33:28 PM »
There have been Imperial Yachts since Peter 1, the Great. There were 2 in Nicholas' 1st reign, the latest  in service in 1846.
I have a beautiful book on the yachts, but, it is in Russian and hard for me to translate.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline Dru

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 07:37:22 PM »
Thank you so much, Robert!  Is there any chance you could just get the name of the yacht in service prior to 1846?  I would be very grateful.

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 07:43:49 PM »
Sure DRU, I wil give it a try.  I need to traslate it from Cylilic to English though.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Offline Katya_C

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 08:10:11 PM »
I assume Tsar Nicholas I had a yacht or leisure boat of some sort, but I can find nothing on the subject, so I was hoping someone out there could help me.  If it existed, what was it called, and where did he sail it?

Tsar Nicholas I did indeed have a yacht, check out this site and its painting of the yacht itself:

http://www.sphinxfineart.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=6&tabindex=5&objectid=127999

The Russian imperial yacht The Queen Victoria is seen cutting through the seas, its yellow Imperial Standard buffeted by the wind. The scene is overcast, with dense black clouds looming threateningly overhead, and the other vessels merge into the enveloping shadows. Against this darkness the rich white sails of The Queen Victoria stand out, as she elegantly rides the choppy water.

The Queen Victoria was commissioned by Tsar Nicholas I (1796-1855), from the famous British shipbuilding firm J. Samuel White of Cowes, who completed the yacht in 1846. The Tsar was a keen sailor and a member of the Royal Yacht Squadron, the prestigious club also based in Cowes, and had commissioned White previously to alter two of his battleships, work for which the Emperor gave the shipbuilder a diamond encrusted snuffbox. Reputedly Nicholas named the yacht The Queen Victoria after asking the British monarch if doing so would amuse her, and the design incorporated a figurehead of the Queen. The yacht was famously luxurious and described by the Illustrated London News as a “Floating Palace”.

Katya C.

Offline Dru

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 08:49:14 PM »
Thank you so very much, both of you! :)

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012, 01:23:11 AM »
Ah yes, but more a racing yacht than a Standart-type yacht. I'm interested to hear that Nicholas I was keen on sailing - I've not heard of him having any recreations previously.

Ann

Offline Mike

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Erast Fandorin Museum
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2012, 11:29:44 AM »
Imperial yachts that had served Nicholas I:
Druzhba - commissioned 1826.
Neva - 1831.
Alexandria - 1832.
Queen Victoria - 1846.
Alexandria - 1852 (after the previous ship of this name was transferred to a humbler fleet duty).

Offline Dru

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2012, 02:09:46 PM »
I believe the Alexandria is the one I'm looking for--thank you all for your assistance!

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2012, 02:14:05 PM »
Thank you Mike. It was the Druzhba 1826 that I was trying to translate.

Offline Mike

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Erast Fandorin Museum
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2012, 03:10:44 PM »
Druzhba = Friendship.