Author Topic: Question About/Need Help With Picture(s)  (Read 165579 times)

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Tell me the truth, monsieur
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
Re: Question About/Need Help With Picture(s)
« Reply #240 on: February 03, 2010, 12:22:07 PM »
Now I'm questioning the size of the child and the dress....if this child stood up, she would be quite big. I believe by this height, Olga would have be dressed  in a type of  sailor suit, as shown in Ally's posted photo. But the face  and expressions indeed seem to be Olga Nicholaievna. I wish the photos were bigger!

"Give my love to all who remember me."

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline Carisbrooke

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: February 04, 2010, 01:58:52 AM »
   I wonder where these photo's have been for the last 110+ years, & how many more unknown romanov photo's are out there waiting to be discovered. I suppose not all made their way into family albums, some were possibly given away to servants & retainers, and these look good candidates for that example because of the background.
    I think we are right to be suspicious, but they look convincing to me. If I was the puchaser though I would want to know their origin, COA or not.

Offline SweetAngels

• "Damm the rules, make it an experiment"-BP
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 04, 2010, 02:49:55 AM »
To me it could be Olga but we don't know for sure. I sat looking through my collection of picture of Olga and came over some picture that could have been take the same time.

"He who knows best, never learns anything"~Henrik Tikkanen
"Wo man singt, da lass Dich ruhig nieder. Böse Menschen haben keine Lieder."~ J. C Seume

Offline Carolath Habsburg

• Velikye Knyaz
  • As seen on TUMBLR!
    • View Profile
    • Victorian & edwardian roleplay in spanish!
« Reply #243 on: February 04, 2010, 09:19:31 AM »

I think we are right to be suspicious, but they look convincing to me. If I was the puchaser though I would want to know their origin, COA or not.

Im not talking about this picture but others on sale about other royals (and yes, once she / he sold a postcard of a french girl as Tatiana Nicolaevna ¬¬)

Courtesy of Grand Duchess Ally

"...Пусть он землю бережет родную, А любовь Катюша сбережет....". Grand Duchess Ekaterina Fyodorovna to Grand Duke Georgiy Alexandrovich. 1914

Join the cause "We want an Ignore button

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #244 on: February 04, 2010, 04:24:14 PM »
Im not talking about this picture but others on sale about other royals (and yes, once she / he sold a postcard of a french girl as Tatiana Nicolaevna ¬¬)
Yes, I think it's safe to sum up their offerings as "diamonds and dust.".... and one has to look out for the dust ! lol!

Olga Nikolaevna

• Velikye Knyaz
  • As seen on TUMBLR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 04, 2010, 05:11:06 PM »
Yes!. These are my favorites

This is a RARe and UNSEEN picture Of Elisaveta Fyodorovna as a preteen . Some fool spent 36 BUCKS!! in this one...

http://i49.tinypic.com/wcejaf.jpg

Another RARE of Alexandra Fyodorovna, sold at 15.50

http://i47.tinypic.com/2lcpdkx.jpg

And the most laughable of all....Maria Fyodorovna in her childhoood....with clothes of an early 20th century girl!!! (This one had SIX BIDS and was sold at 26.00)

http://i50.tinypic.com/15zmmw1.jpg

and i can go on and on. I true, this seller sometimes has great pictures about the Romanovs, but he/she makes mostly of his/her money selling fraudulent pics.

Back to the topic, i found among my pics this one of Olga with the same smile of the girl of the picture

"...Пусть он землю бережет родную, А любовь Катюша сбережет....". Grand Duchess Ekaterina Fyodorovna to Grand Duke Georgiy Alexandrovich. 1914

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #246 on: February 04, 2010, 09:47:41 PM »
I was thinking of that Olga baby picture when looking at these two in question ...and both do look like Olga's gappy grin, not just one of the two.
Those other photos  are pretty funny...but what I have found is that seller's  real stuff goes for alot more than the phony items ...they had a great picture
of Olga on the one of the yachts last week that went for 131.00...while the made up royals go for much less. So people seem to know to watch out for the phony items...however the seller  shouldn't be offering them at all.

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline Carisbrooke

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 05, 2010, 02:16:49 AM »
   I share your concern about the seller Katenka, but somehow I fear we are misunderstanding each other, & I do not want this to be so. My point is if the photographs prove to be genuine, and I hope they are, then where does that leave us ? All the forum will have will be two grainy images & the rest of the information will be lost. The history is as important, if not more so than the photographs. Consider, all this we are loosing. The location of the photograph, the photographers identity and that of the lady & where the photo's have been all these years. That is why the origin of the photo's is so important, it may answer one or two of these questions. The new owner could have the answers, (if the authenticity is any good), but we have none.
   By the way, the picture of a french girl being sold as tatiana is a serious matter, but it did make me giggle.

• Velikye Knyaz
  • As seen on TUMBLR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 05, 2010, 09:10:25 AM »
Well. i wish this seller knew some info about this picture, but im afraid she/he doesnt know a dime about it, . Hopefully here we have people with knowledge about imperial family and will tell us. ;-)

Offline EmmyLee

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 05, 2010, 06:03:19 PM »
Wow, those are difficult to determine. It really does look like it could be Olga, especially when they're compared to the one of Olga that Katenka posted. The clothes seem fairly similar too.

ImperialHighness

« Reply #250 on: February 06, 2010, 02:09:25 PM »
I know I m not often here and maybe I m not the one to mention it- but I have seen the album of the seller you are mentionin at ebay, cause I m a restorer, Historian and I work for many museums- so one thing, it can happen that portraits are dislabeled- even my mum did mix up uncles in an old album and identified them wrongly, cause when they were young they did look so similar to each other. And I ve told the seller once at ebay that one of Tatiana offered was wrong and it was taken off ebay. I ve seen real rubbish on ebay and other auction houses, even Stade auctions at Hamburg once offered a photo of Anastasia and it was Marie of Roumania as a youg girl. They did sell it for 300 Euro and that s a shame and they were told about it many times by me and colleagues.
Why can t it be possible that a seller or someone has really rare portraits at home, collected by family members or do you think we all have seen every photo of the Romanovs that they made? I do not think so, cause every member of the family had an album and there is much in the archives lost. Just think of the fact that everyone had no interest at first in the letters that were found of Alix friend Toni Becker-Bracht- a discussion started- it can t be true and so on! But they are published now.
I do not want to blame anyone here- but some things, which you can t deny:

Members of this board did sell repros of Romanov photos at ebay some time ago, even made up as Cabinet ones, sold as repros, but this is against copyright laws, isn t it? But were they allowed and respected in this, cause they were members of this forum?

Pictures copied from books are copied in here...from Beinecke...and so on...

I remember one person in here who tried to tell everyone she has bought an antique letter of young Alix- a funny badmade fake, wasn it it?

These are only some things I can tell. I do not want to blame anyone, do not want to be rude or unpolite, my English is not well- but you should find the real bad sheeps at ebay and not sellers, who do offer great antique items. The seller you mentioned is not rude or unpolite, so maybe one of you treated this one badly- cause I know that the seller tried to publish the albums photos and no one had interest in them, but some were donated to museums and archives and I could myself examine a really rare photo of little May and Alix together, which I had never seen before to prove the authencity. And even a letter written by little Alix...the album is a wonderful find.

And the photo of Olga is Olga for sure.

I think this here isn t the place to sue others or something like that if it s not the case and just do not buy the items- it s a fuzz about nothing to discuss this. Maybe the one who started this discussion...well, maybe the member is not able to buy them and just so dissapointed to do this all.

If I would think an item is not correct or a fake, I would not bid on it. :)

I hope you do understand what I mean, but if you want I can show you links to real fake items at ebay- just think of the blaming fact that people do sell items used by Jews or photos of them to get money...horrible.

I do not want to offend anyone and if I had done it I m sorry, but I wanted to share my thoughts and feelings towards all this.

• Velikye Knyaz
  • As seen on TUMBLR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 06, 2010, 02:26:33 PM »

Members of this board did sell repros of Romanov photos at ebay some time ago, even made up as Cabinet ones, sold as repros, but this is against copyright laws, isn t it? But were they allowed and respected in this, cause they were members of this forum?

Yes, some lurkers and non active members did that  and thats why we watermark rare pictures to avoid to see them on ebay

.well, maybe the member is not able to buy them and just so dissapointed to do this all

Im sorry?. I do have money to buy old pictures but im not interested in stuff about NAOTMAA. I wonder how you got that conclusion. The proofs about what this seller is doing are pretty clear and i think its right to alert people , in special those who re starting to know about royalty about this kind of Sellers. NO ONE has denied this seller has pretty good stuff about romanovs (sometimes) but mostly of his/her are pictures of ordinary people with "royal labels".

This seller maybe was nice with you and withdrew that phoney pic of Tatiana but with me and other members of this forum who nicely told him/ her he/she was mistaken was totally unpolite .

Here s what he/ she said to one of the  posters about  his/her items...

A few days ago I wrote to the seller that the girl on the CDV is not Marie Valerie and that there were more people who told the same.
He/she wrote that I was the only one who had written that it was not her and that some other people (the ones that made a bid) were very happy with such a a great find.

Thats sounds like someone who wants to make money of people who has NO idea about royals . Thats wrong and its not just a thing of mislabeled pictures, its take advantage of people .

Ps: Re reading your message i think you re talkin about other ebay seller who also has great pictures of Romanovs (ST_Moritz). I ve helped him/ her to put right ids to his/ her pictures and he/she is very nice and polite
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 02:33:37 PM by Katenka_Fyodorovna »

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #252 on: February 06, 2010, 03:46:58 PM »
as Katenka_Fyodorovna  pointed out, as far as this thread is concerned, we have totally acknowledgedthe seller does indeed offer real items....that's why we are discussing it at all. If there was no real items, it wouldn't be of much interest. It's a difficult situation...because as you say , there's no reason a private person can't have a real photo.  Thank you for your post , I learned alot!

Olga Nikolaevna

ImperialHighness

« Reply #253 on: February 07, 2010, 01:53:55 AM »
@Katenka,

I want to make some things clear- first you said things like that the seller at ebay does not a dime about the photo- that s not true- you just have to ask.

You said:
Yes, some lurkers and non active members did that  and thats why we watermark rare pictures to avoid to see them on ebay

Unfortunatelly this isn t true at all- there were two very active members here who sold those photos and even to each other, but no one mentioned that here and that frustrated me, cause there is another seller from UK now who offers printes of photos, copies- okay, marked as copies, but it s not okay- I m talking about something which is called "Doppelmoral" in German, I think, my German is not very well- but I know the term- it s used in situations like these- to allow a part of people to sell stuff and attack others...I can t explain it better, but I came up to the term when I read your words.

You said:
Im sorry?. I do have money to buy old pictures but im not interested in stuff about NAOTMAA. I wonder how you got that conclusion. The proofs about what this seller is doing are pretty clear and i think its right to alert people , in special those who re starting to know about royalty about this kind of Sellers. NO ONE has denied this seller has pretty good stuff about romanovs (sometimes) but mostly of his/her are pictures of ordinary people with "royal labels".

It was just a guess, cause I asked the seller about your emails and got some quotes- yours were never nice ones- they were mainly very rude and aggressive, offending- so that s no way I think and that s sad. To alert people is a thing- sorry, it has something of this denunciating thing- if you feel good in that, it s your choice, but it has a bitter taste for me.
By the way, you mentioned three of her offer with pics- sorry to say you were wrong about them. The one of Elisabeth or Ella does show her in a typical German summer`s dress for children and I have one antique portrait in which another little Princess of Germany wears a similar one.
Ordinary people labelled as Royals? That s nonsense.

May I quote you again:
This seller maybe was nice with you and withdrew that phoney pic of Tatiana but with me and other members of this forum who nicely told him/ her he/she was mistaken was totally unpolite .

That s not true as far as I know- we have a term- the sound makes the music. ;) It s one way to say to someone "You are one too blame and a shame for the whole planet", when appearing for the first time or just saying "Hello, I think you ve made a mistake." Historians can mix up things, too and it even happens in  huge exhibitions.
Just let me tell you this, although if it might be uninteresting to you Katenka- I have bought portraits of Victoria Melita and her sisters labelled as just girls from Coburg and I have bought a portrait by Backofen signed as Ella. The one of Ella was not Ella, the scan at ebay was not pretty well and to see it in reality was a different thing. The seller is a high class seller at ebay and an antiquarian dealer if I remember it right- but he made such a mistake and I never got back my money. I want to say that Backofen does not mean at all that it must be a Grand Duchess of Hesse.
I ve seen dislabeles photos here, too and some ones who want to be the one of a kind to post a misidentified one- that can happen, but it s okay if it happens here?!

---------

Here s what he/ she said to one of the  posters about  his/her items...

Quote from: Elske on December 28, 2009, 10:57:25 AM
A few days ago I wrote to the seller that the girl on the CDV is not Marie Valerie and that there were more people who told the same.
He/she wrote that I was the only one who had written that it was not her and that some other people (the ones that made a bid) were very happy with such a a great find.

Thats sounds like someone who wants to make money of people who has NO idea about royals . Thats wrong and its not just a thing of mislabeled pictures, its take advantage of people .

-That s not true, but believe what you believe. I think we do have our different points of view. I have seen the CDV of Marie Valerie and the seller took it off ebay- so what- you have all reached your goal, haven t you? I have helped her later in identifying it, cause it does show an aristocratic girl from Vienna- of the Brehm family. But it was not mislabelled by the seller. And the Historian who examined it made a mistake- so the seller saw the mistake later. But that happens other sellers, too.

Ps: Re reading your message i think you re talkin about other ebay seller who also has great pictures of Romanovs (ST_Moritz). I ve helped him/ her to put right ids to his/ her pictures and he/she is very nice and polite

No, I do not know St Moritz. I only have three sellers I do buy from at ebay, if I do buy there- from Sweden, Germany and Russia. I do mainly buy my items from auctions like Sothebys, Stade at Hamburg and others worldwide.

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 07, 2010, 07:33:49 AM »
Please, folks, let's return to topic.

If you'd like continue discussing the reliability of particular eBay sellers, I can move the relevant posts to create a new thread in the Romanov and Imperial Russia Links board.
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King