Author Topic: St. Anne 3rd Class mark identification request  (Read 7444 times)

Offline Archangel1919

• View Profile
St. Anne 3rd Class mark identification request
« on: November 26, 2012, 01:47:15 AM »
Hi, can anyone identify the markings on this Order of St Anne? It appears to be a 3rd Class (civil) award and I have been told it was a "yellow gold" example but that is about all I know about it.

It was awarded to a British officer serving at Murmansk in 1919.

I apologise for the bad photographs, they are the best I could come up with using my camera.

Can anyone advise what the markings indicate? Is it possible to value this item?

aleksandr pavlovich

Re: St. Anne 3rd Class mark identification request
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 08:33:00 AM »
Hi, can anyone identify the markings on this Order of St Anne? It appears to be a 3rd Class (civil) award and I have been told it was a "yellow gold" example but that is about all I know about it.

It was awarded to a British officer serving at Murmansk in 1919.

I apologise for the bad photographs, they are the best I could come up with using my camera.

Can anyone advise what the markings indicate? Is it possible to value this item?

As you note, it is a Saint Anne award (without swords), but look it over carefully.  I have only owned one, but there were very neat repairs in two places to the filigree between the arms of the cross. What is the condition of the intertwined script initials on the central medallion of the other side?
               I cannot determine much on the markings due to the photos, but there APPEARS to be a beginning numeral "5" on the suspension ring.  Potentially it is "56," or 14 K gold.  Just my observation.  
               Yes, there would be value, as such orders are avidly sought by certain collectors. Since it was awarded "in 1919," what authority did the awarding?                                                                         Regards,  AP.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 08:36:15 AM by aleksandr pavlovich »

Offline Archangel1919

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 06:21:09 AM »
Thank you for your reply Aleksandr.

I have attached a close up photograph of the reverse of the cross, unfortunately the reverse of the cross with the script is a little damaged.

A number of awards of Imperial decorations were made to British and Commonwealth officers and men who were serving in Russia fighting against the Bolsheviks. These awards were made by the White Russian Provisional Governments, in the case of this cross it was awarded to a British Officer by the Northern White Provisional Government based at Archangel.

Imperial Russian awards were also made to British troops by Denekin in South Russia, Yudenich in the Baltic and Kolchak in Siberia.

I would particularly like to know if the mark on the reverse of the cross under the red enamel indicate a maker and if it is possible to date the manufacture of this award.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 06:32:09 AM by Archangel1919 »

aleksandr pavlovich

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 08:07:31 AM »
Thank you for your reply Aleksandr.

I have attached a close up photograph of the reverse of the cross, unfortunately the reverse of the cross with the script is a little damaged.

A number of awards of Imperial decorations were made to British and Commonwealth officers and men who were serving in Russia fighting against the Bolsheviks. These awards were made by the White Russian Provisional Governments, in the case of this cross it was awarded to a British Officer by the Northern White Provisional Government based at Archangel.

Imperial Russian awards were also made to British troops by Denekin in South Russia, Yudenich in the Baltic and Kolchak in Siberia.

I would particularly like to know if the mark on the reverse of the cross under the red enamel indicate a maker and if it is possible to date the manufacture of this award.

Hello, and thank you for your reply!  Yes, the reverse does have damage on the central medallion, as you illustrate.  Perhaps from being attached to a supporting bar that permitted the medals to be worn overlapping and thus hit/rub against each other, producing chipping/abrasions (mainly on the higher surfaces) according to the position/s of their awards worn.  I am afraid that I can give you no further information of the mark "under the enamel", as I cannot quite determine it.  Makers' marks (usually initials within a small square/rectangle) were often struck on the terminals of the crosses' arms before enameling, for obvious reasons.  I should think that the medal to which you refer may well have come from earlier (than the 1919 award date) existing stock "on hand." Makers' marks can indeed give the origin and date-range in most cases.  I simply cannot clearly determine the mark (if it is a mark - rather like seeing faces/things in the clouds), however I do think that the suspension ring mark does indicate the quality of the gold.  Good luck on further searches!   Regards,  AP.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 08:20:45 AM by aleksandr pavlovich »

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 08:46:30 AM »
As one can surmise, jewelery manufacture had come to a complete halt by 1919, and even if somebody were still making some, there was no way to ship to from Moscow or Petrograd to Archangel.  Kolchak, White Army commander of the region, clearly must have had taken some with him for use in the field. It is assuredly "new old stock" from before 1917. I copied the one clear photo, the others are too blurry to be of any use, into photoshop.  The stamp on the loop shows clearly the numeral 5, so that indicates "56" or the Russian Imperial gold mark standard for approximately 14k. the usual metal for the St. Anne in gold.  The mark under the enamel is indeed the makers mark, but even the one clear picture, when blown up and sharpened, it still is too blurred to be totally legible.  It appears to start with "P.??"  If you can get a jewlers loupe or good magnifying glass you can perhaps get a better idea and let us know. 

Offline Nicolay

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 08:06:32 AM »
I copied the one clear photo, the others are too blurry to be of any use, into photoshop. 
 It appears to start with "P.??"  If you can get a jewlers loupe or good magnifying glass you can perhaps get a better idea and let us know. 

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Just trying to help!

- increased resolution to 450
- cropped
- removed center highlight (bubble ???)
- auto levels
- reduced saturation
>>>
http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/3825/344w1lxjmarkstaphotoshp.jpg