Author Topic: Re: What and Who is Alexei to you?  (Read 49839 times)

bluetoria

Re: What and Who is Alexei to you?
« Reply #75 on: January 18, 2005, 02:28:39 PM »

Well, this is what I mean. I consider this unfair.

But it's off-topic.

(I wasn't flaming, by the way).

Hi, Alex :) I respect your opinions. Please could you say in what way you consider it unfair?
It isn't really off topic because we are talking about what Alexei means to some people.
There may be many people worthy of imitation, but throughout history there have also been others who have set themselves up as 'good' people or mystics or whatever. The Churches therefore study lives in detail and for believers it is useful to have models to follow. If I wished to be a footballer, I would study David Beckham's football skill (I'm English!) If I wished to be an artist I would study the great artists...why should not believers study exemplary lives...or deaths?

rskkiya

« Reply #76 on: January 18, 2005, 02:34:16 PM »

Rskkiya whats a footnote?? ,.......

A historical footnote.

PS: TO ALL PARTICIPANTS...Please do bear in mind that there are a lot of non christians here, so we might want to be careful about points that can easily be read as attempts to "proseletyze" one faith.

thanks
rskkiya
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by rskkiya »

bluetoria

« Reply #77 on: January 18, 2005, 02:36:15 PM »
I put my posting before yours had come up so if it's off topic I won't write anymore :)

Offline Mandie, the Gothic Empress

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Olga.Tatiana.Maria.Anastasia + Alexei
    • View Profile
    • Romanovs of Russia
« Reply #78 on: January 18, 2005, 02:44:55 PM »

A historical footnote.

Ohh, ok.

PS: TO ALL PARTICIPANTS...Please do bear in mind that there are a lot of non christians here, so we might want to be careful about points that can easily be read as attempts to "proseletyze" one faith.

thanks
rskkiya

Did I write something wrong? :-/  If I did sorry.

bluetoria

« Reply #79 on: January 18, 2005, 02:54:44 PM »

Ohh, ok.

Did I write something wrong? :-/  If I did sorry.

Yes, I'm sorry too if it was miscontrued.

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Romanovs of Russia
« Reply #80 on: January 18, 2005, 03:01:46 PM »
ok,. :-/

Anyway,............." back on topic again "

rskkiya

« Reply #81 on: January 18, 2005, 03:06:18 PM »
It might be a good idea for EVERYONE (no finger pointing) to remember that while people do have the human right to their own religious perspectives-- they might need to be equally tolerant of those who don't accept these views - and nonbelievers ought to bear this in mind also, please.

lol
rskkiya

Ok back to topic...SMILE :D

rskkiya

« Reply #82 on: January 18, 2005, 03:16:39 PM »
bluetoria
I was under the impression that you were catholic..Is Alexie Romanov now a saint in the Roman Catholic Church?

rskkiya
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by rskkiya »

Offline JM

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 18, 2005, 03:33:52 PM »
bluetoria
I was under the impression that you were catholic..Is Alexie Romanov now a saint in the Roman Catholic Church?

rskkiya

As far as I'm aware he isn't even a Saint . . .
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Jmentanko »

Offline Elisabeth

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 18, 2005, 03:41:48 PM »
In the Orthodox tradition, they are called "passion bearers". Those who suffer terrible deaths without losing their faith in G-d. I will try to get Bob to pop in and explain more, as I am not Orthodox.

Going back to what Rob said. He is absolutely correct that this category of sainthood is peculiar to Russian Orthodoxy and does not have an equivalent in the Catholic Church. I'll repeat this until I'm blue in the face, but there is a long tradition of "mucheniki," many of them royal children, in Russian Orthodoxy, beginning with the princes Boris and Gleb (who was a child) and continuing through Dmitry of Uglich (another child, the tsarevich murdered by Boris Godunov). So the canonization of the murdered imperial family, ESPECIALLY including the children, should not come as any surprise.  
... I love my poor earth
because I have seen no other

-- Osip Mandelshtam

Offline JM

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 18, 2005, 03:57:00 PM »
Somehow this doesn't sound very convincing  :-

Although I doubt that my opinion counts for very much, I can second bluetoria's remark. I know that the Roman Catholic Church is very particular about canonization, at least nowadays. There's a whole process and different stages and it takes years. The process of sainthood has actually built up quite the bureaucracy.

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Romanovs of Russia
« Reply #86 on: January 18, 2005, 04:15:12 PM »

I'm a Roman Catholic,.. but I have other beliefs also. I NEVER heard That A Russian Tsarevitch is a saint. sorry to say but no......not in the Roman Catholic Church...

But I did heard of St. Anastasia of Rome...

this might should stupid but I also believe in the Greek/ Romans gods!!!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Maria_Pavlovna »

Dashkova

Re: : What and Who is Alexei to you?
« Reply #87 on: January 18, 2005, 04:29:27 PM »
Bluetoria, thank you! Well stated.

I am not Russian Orthodox, but I respect that faith, as I do others, and would not denigrate the right and validity of a practitioner of Russian Orthodoxy to regard the Imperial Family in a manner different than, say, a historian's approach.

We are here to learn. That can include challenging or questioning another poster, but those wishing to "flame" someone for their religious beliefs (or, for that matter, a lack thereof) might consider going elsewhere.

Please don't make blanket statements for ALL Orthodox Christians.  There are many Russian Orthodox who consider the "imperial" family's passion bearer status inappropriate.  Some say it's BS.

bluetoria

« Reply #88 on: January 18, 2005, 04:38:03 PM »
bluetoria

rskkiya

I am a Roman Catholic & no the Tsarevich is not recognized as a Saint in Catholicism, but our faith does not prevent us from accepting saints of other denminations.

Offline Michelle

• Knyaz
  • No more school forever!  Well,except college.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 19, 2005, 10:50:20 AM »
AlexeiLVR, I care what you think.  Don't ever be afraid to share your views.  I certainly hope that you will be allowed that in the future without downright nasty adults blowing your head off (figuratively of course ;)).