Author Topic: The Birthday Cake Incident  (Read 4356 times)

xwhiterussia

The Birthday Cake Incident
« on: February 01, 2013, 05:45:51 PM »
Alright, yes, this may have been in this board before, but I think the last one updated was one or two years ago. I am just checking, but is it true that for her birthday, Nicholas Demenkov smuggled a birthday cake in? Curious: Did she ever have a some kind of crush on him? Thanks
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 05:48:01 PM by xwhiterussia »

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
Re: The Birthday Cake Incident
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 09:26:59 PM »
According to an interview given by Ermakov near the end of his life:

"I remember Maria had her nineteenth birthday party in the prison house -- one of the guards took her some cakes."  
~Halliburton, Seven League Boots

That's the only source I've ever been able to find regarding the birthday cake incident. To my knowledge the guard involved has never been identified with any certainty, though King & Wilson believe it was Ivan Skorokhodov. (It definitely wasn't Demenkov -- he was a soldier Maria had a crush on prior to the revolution.)

This has been discussed in great detail in the Final Chapter boards. To prevent redundancy, I'm going to lock this thread and eventually link it to the previous discussion. Please don't hesitate to add to an old thread rather than beginning a duplicate.
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King