The Alexander Palace Time Machine Discussion Forum

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
September 16, 2014, 04:26:32 AM
461909 Posts in 8954 Topics by 14516 Members
Latest Member: Oberon
News: We think Pallasart is the best web design company in Austin and for good reason - they make this forum possible! Looking for a website? Call them at 512 469-7454.
+  The Alexander Palace Time Machine Discussion Forum
|-+  Books and Films about the Romanovs and Imperial Russia
| |-+  Books about the Romanovs and Imperial Russia (Moderators: grandduchessella, LisaDavidson, Sarushka, BobAtchison, Forum Admin)
| | |-+  The Last Romanov Icon
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author
Topic: The Last Romanov Icon  (Read 599 times)
« on: February 05, 2013, 09:44:48 AM »
Pegschalet Offline

View Profile

http://www.thelostromanovicon.com/novel.html

Just about finished with "The Last Romanov Icon".  Not sure yet what I think about it.  I will post more once I'm finished and get my thoughts together.  Has anybody read it?
Reply #1
« on: February 05, 2013, 10:09:56 AM »
edubs31 Offline
Knyaz

View Profile

No but I was sort of waiting on your review.

Not sure yet what I think about it.

I'm gathering your won't be giving it two thumbs up or five stars on Amazon...?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...
Reply #2
« on: February 06, 2013, 03:40:24 PM »
Pegschalet Offline

View Profile

I found this to be a difficult book to review and I'm still not sure what I actually think about it.  It seems caught between fiction and fact. The author has footnotes in the book which is unusual for a work of fiction and I found very distracting. In addition when you clicked on them it brought you to the end of the Chapter but the footnotes weren't complete.  When you clicked on the footnote it brought you back to the place in the chapter.  This maybe a Kindle thing but very confusing for me. 

The coauthor Marie Stavlos is currently working on a nonfiction project and I think that might be a better fit.  Both authors have decent bios and have a professional looking website.  Not like some of the books, we've seen lately. 

Fans of the Romanovs are divided into two groups in my opinion, those who believe the bodies of the Imperial Family were found and the DNA evidence conclusively proves that fact and those that believe it is Russian Propaganda and the Imperial Family, all or some survived. This group is further divided into those who love the romance of the story but really don't know all the facts, those that think they are descendents from Anastasia, Alexei or Olga, and then there are writers and researchers like Carlos Munday and Maria Stavlos who have examined original source documents, have connections with various secret services such as MI6 who have reached their own educated conclusions.

I enjoyed the book and learned some new items about disputes over the DNA evidence which I want to learn more about. The story line was interesting but not my favorite work of Romanov fiction. In addition, there were a few errors such as a charactor dropping off his passport at the front desk of an American Hotel. This is common practice in Europe but not the United States. Also there is a document written by Anna Anderson/Grand Duchess Anastasia which is used to attest to her survival. Anything Anderson wrote would be subject to dispute because of the DNA evidence disproving her claim. I thought the "proof" could have been developed in a more more intriging way such as a missing Faberge Egg resurfacing.  Also I think the Anna Anderson story has been told so many times that it just doesn't work well as a fictional tale.

Overall a quick read.  I will read just about anything and appreciate the effort that goes into writing a story.  I found I wanted to keep turning the pages and tried to read it as a stand alone book not letting the tons of books I've read as well as forum comments on Anna Anderson intrude.  Overall enjoyed as a quick piece of fluff.   I suspect many forum members will not like the book and I'm sure I will enjoy their comments.

Now on to my next book, "The Romanov Legacy"  just started and it has already sucked me in.  Probably another late night reading.  I'm on a Romanov kick this month and fiction is the only option as no new nonfiction books.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: