Author Topic: A Countess in Limbo, by Countess Olga Hendrikoff  (Read 4476 times)

Offline felix

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
A Countess in Limbo, by Countess Olga Hendrikoff
« on: March 16, 2013, 07:08:08 AM »

Diaries in war & Revolution, Russia 1914 to 1920 & France 1939 to 1947. Very good book from the diaries  of Anastasia V. Hendrikoff's sister-in-law Olga.

Her brother Peter's wife ( I never knew she had a brother). Interesting how Kerensky allowed the families of the people going into exile with the Imperial Family   go to the Alexander Palace & say" goodbye". Also talks of the death of her other sister-in-law Inochka (Alexandra) during the Civil war.
And how the Henrikoff family went bankrupt & The Czar bought their house & helped the Family after the death of V.A.Hendrikoff in 1912(Anastasia's father)

The Russian part is smaller than the French, but the Emigre experiences in Nazi occupied Paris are very well worth reading. She was accused by the Nazi's of being a spy.

F.

Offline rgt9w

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: A Countess in Limbo, by Countess Olga Hendrikoff
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 07:13:38 PM »
I recently read "A Countess in Limbo" and was really surprised by how interesting I found the diaries of Countess Hendrikoff.  I had initially been hesitant to purchase the book since I had read that the diary entries covering the Russian Revolution were very short compared to her experiences during World War II.  It is true that the Russian Revolution section only covers about 50 pages of a roughly 450 page book, but the revolution diary entries provide insight into the Hendrikoff family including Anastasia Hendrikoff (Nastenka) who was murdered in Siberia after joining the Imperial family in exile.

The more surprising aspect of the book is the Countess' insights into surviving Nazi Occupied France and her opinions regarding the Nazis and the various groups of Allies, especially the Americans and the Soviets.  The interactions between Russian emigres and Soviet citizens is also very enlightening regarding the social dynamics of the time.  Countess Hendrikoff also describes many anecdotes of retribution against accused "Nazi collaborators" and the workings of the Black Market in Paris.

Overall, I felt this was an important work as a historical record of one woman's survival during the upheaval of revolution and world war.

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
Re: A Countess in Limbo, by Countess Olga Hendrikoff
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 10:37:41 AM »
Thanks for your review! :)