Author Topic: Books on the Russian Civil War WWI and other wars  (Read 33097 times)

Offline JamesAPrattIII

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Books on the Russian Civil War WWI and other wars
« on: March 22, 2013, 03:15:16 PM »
Books on the Russian Civil War:
Civil War in Siberia, John P. Smele is an excellent book on the the Russian Civil War in Siberia. For people who have read LDR, FOTR, and File on the Tsar this book gives you the big picture on whats going on.
Civil War in South Russia 1918 Peter Kenez
Civil War in South Russia 1919-1920 Peter Kenez  are 2 volumes are good accounts of the Russian Civil war in South Russia
The White Armies of Russia George Stewart older book on the White armies
The White generals R Luckett on the white leaders
The Fate of Admiral Kolchak a bio of the White leader
White against red The Life of General Anton Denikin  Dimitry V. Lehovich a bio of one of the main white leaders
The Ignorant Armies E.M. Hallidy the US intervention in North Russia
The Midnight War Richard Goldhart on the allied intervention
The Day they Almost Bombed Moscow Chris Dobson and John Miller on the Allied intervention

Offline JamesAPrattIII

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Books on the Russian Civil War WWI and other wars
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 03:38:46 PM »
books on WW I and other wars:
Caucasian Battlefields A History of the Wars on the turco-Caucasian Border 1828-1921 W.E.D. Allen and Paul Muratoff A fine book on this subject. Note GD Dimtri P was sent to the persian front after his involvement in killing rasputin this book tells of what was happening there
The End of the Russian Imperial Army (2 volumes) Allen K Wildman a good account a how and why the Russian army fell apart after the Febuary 1917 revolution
The foe Within William C Fuller a good account of the spy hysteria that helped bring down the Russian Empire
Other wars:
Mutiney Amid Repression John Bushnell deal with the Russian armys reaction to the 1905 Revolution
General Alexei N Kuropatkin the leading Russian army commander in Manchuria during the R-J War wrote a couple of books his military experiences ect after this war you can log on to them on his wiki bio. Note they are books written by a staff officer for fellow staff officers and may not be for everyone.
Russias military way to the west Chris Duffy deal with the Russian army of the 1700s and the wars it fought

Offline JamesAPrattIII

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 08:46:07 PM »
On archive.org there is "MY Empress: 23 years of Intamate Life with the Empress of all the Russias from her marrige to her day of Exile" by Marta Mouchanow according to Ron Moe in "Prelude to the Revolution the Murder of Rasputin" this book was written by Alexandra's chief maid Madelene Zanotti before the IF left for Siberia. If you are interseted in AF I recommend this book.
not online
"The Northern Wars 1558-1721" Robert Frost A heavy duty history book of the wars in Northern Europe and Russia

Offline historyfan

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 09:40:48 PM »
The Guns Of August by Barbara Tuchman is an exploration on the origins of WWI.

Offline JamesAPrattIII

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 08:12:42 PM »
According to other posts on this site that i missed Moe is wrong when says Zanotti wrote My Empress.

Offline JamesAPrattIII

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 07:37:44 PM »
The site allworldwars.com has a number of sites dealing with Russia the ones dealing with the Russo-Japanese war and WW I include:
"The Life of Admiral Togo" bio of the Japanese Admiral who destroyed the Russian Fleet at tsushima
"Horse guards Commorative manual 1730-1930" a history of the Russian Horse Guards regiment. GD Dmitri Ps regiment
"War of lost Opportunities" Max Hoffman The memoirs of the German officer who was the number 3 later number 2 man who ran the german war in the East 1914-1918
Luddendorf's Own Story Volume 2 1917-1918 Volume 2 of German General Erich Luddendorf's war memoirs
Russo-Japanese war photo gallery by Victor Bulla lots of R-J war pictures from one of the leading Russian photograghers of the period
Libau to tsushima Eugene Politovsky an account of the Russian Baltic fleets voyage to the pacific by one of the men of the fleet who did not survive
The German Airforce in the Great War Georg Paul Neuman a history of the German air force in WW I

Archive.org
"Revolutionary days Princess Julia Cantacuzene
With the Russian Army 1914-1917 Volume 1 Alfred Knox (no volume 2)

Offline JamesAPrattIII

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 06:44:18 PM »
Daily life in Russia under the last Tsar Henry Troyet A fictional Englishman's view of 1903 Russia
Before the Storm Sophia Buxhoeveden I guess she dropped the Von somewhere. This her other book besides the 2 she wrote that are on the APTM. It's about her life in Russia pre WWI
In Wars dark Shadow W. Bruce Lincoln about Russia pre WW I (note this author has written several books on Russia. Warning he despises Nicholas and Alexandra
The Romanovs                 "         "
Passage Through Armagedon "    "
He has written others that I haven't read

Prologue to the Revolution Michael Chernivsky Minutes of the meetings of the Coouncil of Ministers July-September 1915 This is from the notes of a man who was at the meetings of the Council of ministers during this period and what was discussed and said
Documents in Russian history F.D. Goldman This book contains a number of documents in full dealing with Russia during the WW I period it has in full Durnovos 1914 memo to the Tsar warning him against going to war, Milikov's Stupidity or treason speech and Purishkevich's anti-Rasputin speech to name a few.
The Russian revolution and the Baltic Fleet Evan Mawdsley deals with the role of the Baltic Fleet in the 1917 Revolutions
Nationalizing the Russian Empire Eric Lohr deals with the problem of nationalizism in Russia during WW I and the deportations , and property sezures that went along with it.

In the American historical Review Vol 86, 1981 there is an article by John Bushnell "The Tsarist officer Corps 1881-1914: Customs , Duties, Inefficiency" which is a accurate portrayal of the officer corps of the Russian army pre WW I. Lets just say it wasn't very good.

Offline Rodney_G.

• Knyaz
  • an angel .....and the best of them
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 04:04:12 PM »
Nice reading list , James. There are so many more.

Denikin's autobiography is worthwhile. So is W. Bruce Lincoln's  Passage Through Armageddon, though I read it some time ago. Of the Imperial Family's intimates , Sophie Buxhoeveden's two books you referred to both give some sense of the chaos of the Civil War/Revolution ,especially  from a bourgeoise's perspective, though she's no great writer.
Rodney G.

Offline JamesAPrattIII

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 03:20:09 PM »
Some online reading:
Guttenberg press book selection has a number of books on WW I and other wars

On the Great war forums Russian front section on 29 April 2010 posting there is a online book "Yesterday; The Memiors of a Russian-jewish lawyer by Oscar o Gruzenberg, he was one of the leading lawyers in pre-1917 Russia

Archives.org:
Red Russia (1906) and Russia Today (1915) John Foster Fraiser an English travel writers view of Russia in 1905 and 1915
The Duel Alexander Kudrin a 1905 best selling Novel in Russia. A less than flatering view of the Russian army and it's officers

chic lit:
When the Prussians came to Poland Laura De Turszynowicz
An English Wife in Berlin Princess Evelyn Blucher

Offline Rodney_G.

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2013, 01:00:05 PM »
chic lit:
When the Prussians came to Poland Laura De Turszynowicz
An English Wife in Berlin Princess Evelyn Blucher

This latter, James, may give a new twist to the conventional view of chick lit (chiclet?, chicklet?).
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 01:12:56 PM by Rodney_G. »
Rodney G.

Offline JamesAPrattIII

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2013, 04:21:57 PM »
A typo it should be chick lit
Autocracy Under Siege Security Police and the Opposition in Russia 1866-1905 & The Watchfull State Security police and the Opposition in Russia 1906-1917 both by John Daly both excellent books on how the Russian security police operated during the last decades of the Tsars.
Thou Shalt Kill Revolutionary Terror in Russia 1894-1917 Anna gelfman another fine book dealing with terrorism and terrorists in Russia during this period
Young Stalin Simon Montefiore a fine book on the future dictator joseph Stalin's early life to the Bolo seizure of power in late 1917 and his career as a crime boss/revolutionary
Mannerhiem The years of preparation J.E. O. Screen this a bio of the future leader of Finnland as a guards cavalry officer in the Russian army.

Offline Rodney_G.

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2013, 06:03:23 PM »
The Anna Gelfman book is excellent. I recommend it.
Rodney G.

Offline historyfan

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2013, 08:35:53 PM »
I've recently read Friendly Fire: The Secret War between the Allies, by Lynn Picknett. Focuses on Roosevelt, Churchill and Stalin. Very interesting, and in a lot of cases, enlightening.

Offline JamesAPrattIII

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2013, 07:02:14 PM »
Some more:
Imperial Russian Field Uniforms and equipment 1907-1917 John Somers, plenty of pictures of the Russian army of how it was dressed and equipped
Uniforms and equipment of the Czarist Russian armed forces in WW I: A Study in Period Photograghs Spencer A Coil, Has lots of pictures of the Russian army during the WW I period. It includes a number of family pictures so you can see how people dressed back then
The Russian Army in the First World war Nic Cornish A good but not great book on the subject.

Offline JamesAPrattIII

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2013, 07:59:16 PM »
I have a few more:
Tattered Banners Paul Rodzianko, memoirs of the nephew of Duma leader Rodzianko before during and after WW I. He is the Rodziako mentioned in the APTM online book "Left Behind"

"The Revolt of 1916 in Central Asia" Edward d Sokol This is about the only book in English that deals with the 1916 revolt in Central Asia that broke out in mainly because the Tsarist government tried to conscript the locals into non-combat labor units.

Article "The Imperial Russian Life Guards Grenadier regiment 1906-1917: The Disintagration of an elite unit" David R Jones Military Affairs magazine (Now the Journal of Military History) October 1969. On how and why the Guards grenadier regiment went from an elite unit to a mob.