Author Topic: Books on the Russian Civil War WWI and other wars  (Read 43522 times)

Offline Rodney_G.

• Knyaz
  • an angel .....and the best of them
    • View Profile
Re: Books on the Russian Civil War WWI and other wars
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2016, 01:23:57 PM »
"A Lifetime Passion" is fantastic even if it is heavily cut up.

I read the authors original manuscript was for THREE volumes! Oh if only it could be published as a special edition, it would be completely worth the price.
[/quote

Well worth reading and looking at indeed.It helped fuel my Romanovphilia.
Rodney G.

Offline JamesAPrattIII

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2016, 09:57:45 PM »
Here's another  I recently read:

"They Fought For the Motherland" Laurie Stoff about the Russian armies Women's units in WW I and what they really did Here are notable points:

The 1st Russian Women's battalion of Death and an account of it's one and only action. The Units commander Maria Bochkareva a brief bio of her and her memoirs which includes things that didn't happen and doesn't include things that did happen as well as distorting things that did happen.

The 1st Petrograd Women's Battalion of Death which is a different unit from the one mentioned above and it's defense of the Winter palace during the October 1917 Revolution.

accounts of the other Women's units and their fates. As well as accounts of women serving in the Russian army before the 1917 revolutions.

errata:
P28 mentions women flying in combat this may not have happened.

P155 mentions a "disabled tank". There were no tanks in Russia at this time. There was in Petrograd at this time the one and only Allies-Chalmer half tracked armored car. The Russians sometimes called half tracked armored cars "half tanks' or Russian tanks" There is a film clip of this vehicle which also took part in the Feb/mar 1917 revolution in the PBS/BBC documentary "The Great war 1917 Mutiny where it shows the rear tracked part of the vehicle and the 76.2 mm gun pointing out the rear.

Offline JamesAPrattIII

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2016, 07:26:05 PM »
Another book:
Russian Motor vehicles The Czarist Period 1784 to 1917 Maurice A Kelly A fairly good book on a rare topic early Russian Motor vehicles. Some of these vehicles appear in photos and film clips of the IF.

Offline JamesAPrattIII

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 18, 2016, 02:13:50 PM »
books on archive.org:
My Life here and there Julia Cantacuzene
Revolutionary Days        "         "

Inside the Russian Revolution

The Blue Steppes

Offline JamesAPrattIII

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2016, 02:13:19 PM »
also on archive.org:

The Red Air Fighter by Baron Manfred Von Richthofen the top scoring ace of WW Is book written during the war. He did spend some time in the East before he became a fighter pilot.

Offline JamesAPrattIII

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2016, 01:36:50 PM »
Narodniki Women Margaret Maxwell is about Russian female revolutionaries their backgrounds and fates.

Russian-American Relation in World War I Benson Lee Grayson this book as the title says with Russian-American relations with Russia during WW up to the fall of the monarchy from a US point of view. It also has a chapter on US Russian relations pre WWI. This book shows how the last two US Ambassadors to Russia  G.T. Marye and D.R Francis performed. Note these men are both briefly mentioned in the book "Nicholas and Alexandra" Note: Marye was so popular with the Russian he was decorated by Nicholas!

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2016, 05:18:14 AM »
Hello James

All these sound interesting.

If I remember correctly, Richthofen flew as an observer on the Eastern Front before training as a pilot. I think he was also on the Eastern Front with his regiment for a time.

Ann

Offline JamesAPrattIII

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 27, 2016, 12:45:57 PM »
Yes Richthofen did see some brief action at the start of the war in August 1914 against the Russians before his regiment was transferred to the West. He did fly on the eastern front for a few months as an observer in 1915. Then his unit was transferred back to the West where he underwent pilot training. His unit was sent back to the East where he was recruited as a fighter pilot and went back to the West. Read "The Red Fighter" or one of the several bios of him for more info.

Offline JamesAPrattIII

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 15, 2016, 04:47:20 PM »
A new book on the Czech legion: "dreams of a Great Small nation" Kevin J McNamara

Offline NicolasG

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 16, 2016, 04:09:29 AM »
A new book on the Czech legion: "dreams of a Great Small nation" Kevin J McNamara

In a book of 331 pages (not including index and bibliography) Admiral Kolchak is mentioned in 5 (!!!) of them. It seems that the Czechs have to be the heroes, so the author decided that the least it was said about how the handed Kolchak to the revolutionaries to get safe passage for them and the loot they had gathered, the better.

Offline JamesAPrattIII

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 14, 2016, 12:42:55 PM »
An other fairly new book I found out about be haven't read yet:
Imperial Apocalypse The Great War and the Destruction of the Russian Empire"

Offline JamesAPrattIII

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 03, 2017, 09:35:02 PM »
another book that I just finished with "Wall Street and the Bolshevik Revolution" How Wall Streeter helped the Bolsheviks after they gained power and before this how the US helped Trotsky get back to Russia.

Offline NicolasG

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2017, 05:12:05 PM »
On archive.org

"With the Die-Hards in Siberia", by Colonel John Ward, who served as a British officer attached to Kolchak's army during the Russian Civil War.

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 07, 2017, 10:26:14 AM »
Going to a different empire which collapsed as a result of WW1, 'The Fall of the Ottomans' by Eugene Rogan is extremely good, and filled some major gaps in my knowledge.

Ann

Offline JamesAPrattIII

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2017, 04:51:45 PM »
I found a new book on the Wall Street Journal book review that looks good: "The House of the Dead Siberian Exile under the Tsars " Daniel Beer