Author Topic: Books on the Russian Civil War WWI and other wars  (Read 41540 times)

Offline JamesAPrattIII

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Books on the Russian Civil War WWI and other wars
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2015, 06:22:48 PM »
Here are a some books I recently finished:
The last Tsar by Serge S Oldenburg this is the first political history of Nicholas II reign by a Russian Nationalist Conservative Historian written in the 1930s. It's dated but I found it informative. It shows Nicholas II reign in a different light. It also has a index and biography section of many of the lesser people of this period.

Tsar Nicholas II and Empress Alexandra the Complete Wartime corespondece of letters and telegrams  Joe T Fuhrman  It has all the surviving letters and telegrams between Nicholas and Alexandra and a usefull index

Oldenburg points out some facts of interest:
Anna Vyrubova has Rasputin telegraphing the Tsar: "Let Papa not plan war, for with the war will come the end of Russia and yourselves and you will lose to the last man."
Oldenburg has Rasputin telegraphing "Do not worry too much about war. When time comes, an end will have to put to it but that time is not yet and your suffering will be crowned".

Then the man Nicholas writes to Kokovstov as "...a man fresh for work." isn't Goremykin Kokovstov was also the Finance minister as well as the Prime minister. The man Nicholas is talking about is Peter Bark who is the new Finance minister.

Offline JamesAPrattIII

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2015, 03:28:13 PM »
This is some errata for Fuhrman and the Nicky-Sunny letters ect:

Alexandra 2 Oct 14 King Albert's (of Belgium) Villa was bombed by the German Airship ZIX

Alexandra 19 Nov 14 mentions Warsaw being bombed at night do to bad weather the German Airship ZIV bombed Warsaw on the night of 24/25 Nov 14

Nicholas 3 mar 15 can't go to Lomza do to German aircraft that's where the Guards Corps was.

Alexandra 8 may 15 on the Jewish refugees It was Grand Duke Nicholas N that ordered their deportation not his chief of staff Yanushkevich

Nicholas 4 Sep 15 Lida was bombed by the German airship ZXII

Alexandra 14 Sep 15 asks about Capt Vyazemsky and Cmdr Svinyin being killed. Vyazemsky was the Captain of the Battleship Slava and Svinyin was the balitc Fleet Gunnery officer both were killed when the Slava was hit by a german bomb see my article "Attack on the Slava" on a earlier reply.

Alexandra 15 Jan 16 Alexandra is upset a Zeppelin attacked Rezhitsa this was the LZ86 which attacked the rail yards there on the night of 4/5 Feb 16 NS Alexandra 10 Feb 16 letter  NS

Offline JamesAPrattIII

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2015, 04:52:54 PM »
I screwed up on the last line Alexandra's letter was 15 Jan 16 (28 jan NS) The only Zeppelin raids on Rezhitsa were by the LZ86 on 4/5 Feb and 27/28 Apr 1916. I can't find any record of a Zeppelin raid in January 1916, but there is not that much written on Zeppelin operations in the East. It possibly could have been the LZ85 which was the only other airship operating in this area at this time. There again it could have been a German aircraft flying at night. The city was around 50 miles from the front or someone thought they saw or heard something. Note the raid of 27/28 April did no damage.

and now for the Danilov's
General YN Danilov the Black was GD Nicholas N's Quartermaster General

General NA Danilov the Red, He had red hair was Chief of supply for the NorthWestern front

General AV Danilov the White was the Commander of the Kronstadt Fortress

There is mention of a pilot named Ivan Orlov  He was the son of General Alexander A Orlov who died in 1908. Ivan Orlov became a 5 victory ace before he was shot down and killed in 1917.

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2015, 03:42:15 AM »
The Danilovs!

As a parallel, the Royal Navy at about the same time had four Admirals named Nicholson, respectively known as:

Black Nick - very dark

White Nick - very fair

Thumby Nick - he was missing a thumb

Cami Nick - he had an eye for the ladies

Then there was Admiral Sir Sydney Fremantle, son of Admiral Sir Edmund Fremantle, and known throughout the Navy as 'My boy Syd', as that was how his father referred to him.

Ann

Offline Превед

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Мой Великий Север
    • View Profile
    • Type Russian Without a Keyboard
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2015, 08:40:37 AM »
Cami Nick - he had an eye for the ladies

Cami? What word is this?
Берёзы севера мне милы,
Их грустный, опущённый вид,
Как речь безмолвная могилы,
Горячку сердца холодит.

(Афанасий Фет: Ивы и берёзы, 1843 / 1856)

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2015, 10:31:42 AM »
Short for camiknickers - a variety of ladies' underwear.

Goodness, Preved, this is the first time you have admitted to being at a loss over a word!

Ann

Offline Превед

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Мой Великий Север
    • View Profile
    • Type Russian Without a Keyboard
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2015, 02:31:27 PM »
Short for camiknickers - a variety of ladies' underwear.

Goodness, Preved, this is the first time you have admitted to being at a loss over a word!

I looked it up, got "mosque" in Turkish and had to give in. Vintage lady's undergarments is not my fetish of choice, as you might have glimpsed from other posts. :-)
Берёзы севера мне милы,
Их грустный, опущённый вид,
Как речь безмолвная могилы,
Горячку сердца холодит.

(Афанасий Фет: Ивы и берёзы, 1843 / 1856)

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2015, 12:30:18 AM »
Nor mine.

But camiknickers are a slightly jokey item over here - quite frequently referred to in comedies, 'There she was in 'ear camiknickers'.

Ann

Offline JamesAPrattIII

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2015, 02:57:32 PM »
I am glad some people found my book  errata interesting

Another book I found:
Northern Underground Episodes of Russian Revolutionary Transport and communications through Scandinavia and Finland 1863-1917 Michael Futrell as the title says it deals with the smuggling of Propaganda, arms money ect to Russia via Finland and Sweden written in 1962 not the greatest book in the world but still interesting.

Offline JamesAPrattIII

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2015, 05:10:09 PM »
In flipping through Fuhrman's bio of Rasputin it appears he sent both telegrams and others at this just before WW I broke out.

Offline JamesAPrattIII

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2016, 07:24:56 PM »
Ritualized Violence Russian Style The Duel in Russian Culture and Literature Irina Reyfman for those interested in dueling in Russia

Offline JamesAPrattIII

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2016, 05:02:56 PM »
Two books I recently read:

Collision of Empires Prit Butter an account of the 1914 battles in the east. A very good read on the subject.

Prelude to Blitzkrieg Michael b Barres a good account of the 1916 Rumanian campaign. The only real I have with it is the author calls Kampfgeswader 1 (Combat Wing 1) Fighter Squadron 1 . This unit was mostly equipped with 2 engine bombers and is the unit that bombed Rumanaia mentioned in Queen Marie's memoirs "Ordeal the Story of my Life" in archive.org

Offline Nemos

• Knyaz
  • У Жака простака спина широка
    • View Profile
    • Царское Село
« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2016, 12:57:39 AM »
Собрал в один файл PDF Именной список убитым, раненым и без вести пропавшим нижним чинам №№ 1-1000
Gathered in a single PDF file name list of killed, wounded and missing the lower ranks №№ 1-1000

http://book-olds.ru/BookLibrary/00926-Spiski-ubityih-i-ranenyih-v-Velikoy-voyne/1914.-Imennoy-spisok-ubityim-ranenyim-i-bez-vesti-propavshim-nizhnim-chinam.-%E2%84%96-001-100-ili-%E2%84%960001-1000.html
At Jacque of the gawk...
book-old.ru

Offline JamesAPrattIII

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2016, 03:26:20 PM »
I also recently found the book "A Lifelong Passion" Andrei Maylunas & Sergei Mironenko which is made up of mainly of diaries, letters, ect of Nicholas and Alexandra and the people around them.

Offline Maria Sisi

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2016, 05:42:07 PM »
"A Lifetime Passion" is fantastic even if it is heavily cut up.

I read the authors original manuscript was for THREE volumes! Oh if only it could be published as a special edition, it would be completely worth the price.