Author Topic: The Diary of Olga Romanov: Royal Witness to the Russian Revolution  (Read 74391 times)

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Book about Olga Nikolaevna
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2013, 04:05:27 PM »
Waiting impatiently for this! I'm excited to learn it contains even more than diary entries.

And don't feel cheesy for saying Olga seems real to you now, we all feel that way.  ;) I don't think anyone who sees her as an abstract historical figure would be so excited to read this book as we are.

Offline Lady Macduff

• Boyar
  • We will meet again in better times. - TN
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2013, 10:04:01 PM »
This looks wonderful. Always happy to read anything about my favorite grand duchess. :)
We are sitting together as usual, but you are missing from the room. - AN

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2013, 11:42:01 AM »
This looks wonderful. Always happy to read anything about my favorite grand duchess. :)

Thank you, I don't think you will be disappointed :)

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Tell me the truth, monsieur
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2013, 02:21:49 PM »
After working with Olga's words for so long,  and indeed, translating them from one language to another, I can well believe you were brought to a sense of understanding and emotions that are at times difficult to articulate . It's my contention that our words carry a good deal that is communicated on a subconscious level and those messages take time to emerge from the heart and mind . 

Just the choice between one word and not another, denotes a great deal if we but take the time to 
consider . Translating gives one that time and opportunity

What I've seen of  your translation work  is  excellent and so can't wait for this and the other documents
that were here to for only in Russian.

"Give my love to all who remember me."

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2013, 02:11:45 PM »
What I've seen of  your translation work  is  excellent and so can't wait for this and the other documents
that were here to for only in Russian.

When I translate, I try to not only come up with a literal translation of the words, but also choose the right word combination to convey the original feeling of the writer's own words. It's almost an intuitive skill, but you really do get better at it the more translations you do. Diary and letter translations are especially tricky to translate because they are so much more personal and subjective than a regular document.

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Rex and Hannah Chronicles Wikia
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2013, 04:07:33 PM »
I'm happy for you, Helen, that your book is coming out.  It sounds really good.

Offline rgt9w

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2013, 08:41:02 PM »
Dear Helen,

I am looking forward to adding your new book to my collection. I am sure it will be an excellent addition to Romanov research.

I had one question about researching your new book.  What has happened to Olga's letters over time? Are most of Olga's letters in archives or collections within Russia or are they scattered in collections around the globe?

Wishing you much success with the book.

Roy

Offline Rodney_G.

• Knyaz
  • an angel .....and the best of them
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2013, 07:43:06 PM »
Helen, "excited' is a word I rarely use about new books, but yours about Olga  has got me so (platonically-speaking, of course). I am confident I won't  be disappointed.
Rodney G.

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2013, 01:12:40 PM »
Dear Helen,

I am looking forward to adding your new book to my collection. I am sure it will be an excellent addition to Romanov research.

I had one question about researching your new book.  What has happened to Olga's letters over time? Are most of Olga's letters in archives or collections within Russia or are they scattered in collections around the globe?

Wishing you much success with the book.

Roy

Thank you, Roy. The Russian Archives (GARF) still has a lot of of her letters, along with the diaries. Many may have been destroyed, it's hard to say... It probably depends who she sent them to and what ended up happening to the recipient. Luckily Olga was a fairly prolific letter writer so at least some of them survived.

Offline matushka

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: The Diary of Olga Romanov: Royal Witness to the Russian Revolution
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2013, 05:06:52 AM »
Impatiently waiting for your book! Helen, I have a question: do you include in your book many entries and letters that were never published at all, for example not published in "Sisters of mercy"? Or is the material quite similar? Thank you in advance!

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2013, 11:01:53 AM »
Impatiently waiting for your book! Helen, I have a question: do you include in your book many entries and letters that were never published at all, for example not published in "Sisters of mercy"? Or is the material quite similar? Thank you in advance!

Yes, there is a significant amount of that, as well as many primary sources that were published in Russian only but never translated into English.

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2013, 11:44:01 AM »
BTW, you can also see some of Olga's diary entries that were never published before, but which will not be included in the book on my Facebook page. Here is the latest one I posted today:  https://www.facebook.com/notes/helen-azar/olgas-diary-december-23-1916/10151581449449834. I will be regularly posting more of them if you follow the daily posts on the page :). https://www.facebook.com/pages/1913-1917-Diaries-of-Grand-Duchess-Olga-Nikolaevna-Romanov/113360175379921?fref=ts

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile

Offline edubs31

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2013, 11:49:25 AM »
Neat stuff Helen!

Dumb question, and one I should probably know. But is/was it customary for people to refer to the times of day using 11 1/2, or 11 1/4, instead of 11:30, 11:15, etc, and when did things change over? I realize people often say "quarter of" or "half past" still today, but I guess I don't remember ever having read it numerically that way.
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...

Offline Georgiy

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Slava v vyshnikh Bogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2013, 02:52:07 PM »
There is still big variation. We would say quarter to, instead of quarter of, and plenty of people would say half two instead of half past two.