Author Topic: Alexander III of Russia  (Read 43760 times)

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander III of Russia
« Reply #75 on: June 25, 2016, 05:26:14 AM »
Malt'sev arrested on 3 March 1917. Was that Old or New Style, and any indication of what he wasarrested for?

Ann

Offline JamesAPrattIII

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 27, 2016, 12:40:34 PM »

3 march is OS the day after Nicholas abdicated. Maltsev remained loyal to the monarchy to the very end that's why he was arrested according to the book "The Murder of Rasputin" by MN which lists the date of his arrest as both 28 feb and 2 mar 1917 OS!?

His unit the Aerial security regiment is also called a battery and a battalion (Russian it would be a Divizion)!?

The Russian Military Air Fleet in WW I calls it a battery with 3 half batteries of 4 guns each, a truck mounted battery of 4 guns and a machine gun section.

Alfred Knox mentions it having 18 guns and 6 machine guns.

The standard Russian artillery battery of 76.2mm guns at the start of WW I contained 8 guns in 1915 the reduced it to 6 guns. So a artillery battalion/division would have 18 guns.

Maltsev was a Colonel so I would think the unit would be a regiment

MN mentions Maltsev going to Egypt. I have read there was a good size European expat community there until Nasser came to power.

Offline JamesAPrattIII

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 28, 2016, 06:02:26 PM »
I found the part in "The Murder of Rasputin " by MN where Maltsev and other officers are arrested accused of being an "enemy of the military high command".