Author Topic: King Alexander I & Aspasia Manos  (Read 114253 times)

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
King Alexander I & Aspasia Manos
« on: January 18, 2005, 07:04:28 AM »
I would like to know much more about Aspasia Manos,wife of King Alexander I of Greece and mother of future Queen Alexandra of Yugoslavia?Any pictures of her?Her daughter,sinse her dauhter Alexandra was also cousin of Prince Consort Phillip of Great Britain,and also wrote some books about him...Anyone knows anything about this facts?

Offline jfkhaos

• Graf
    • View Profile
Re: King Alexander I & Aspasia Manos
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005, 08:19:38 AM »
I think that Aspasia was made a princess and given the title of Princess Alexander, but I am sure that are multiple members who can expand on this topic.  Apparently Queen Sophie even warmed to the girl.

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2005, 01:00:41 PM »
I think that Aspasia was made a princess and given the title of Princess Alexander, but I am sure that are multiple members who can expand on this topic.  Apparently Queen Sophie even warmed to the girl.

Apasia Manos was married to King Alexander of the Hellenes.  It was a secret marriage at first as she was a Greek commoner.  She was not queen.  She was pregnant when Alexander died, and gave birth to Alexandra several months later.  The restored King Constantine I recognized Alexandra as a princess of Greece and Aspasia was created Princess Alexander.

Alexandra was a childhood playmate of Philip - and her name is on several books, including a bio of Philip (although she never actually wrote the books - ghost written.)

Alexandra and Aspasia were based in Italy, and Alexandra married King Peter II of Yugoslavia. Not a happy marriage.  Financial problems and Alexandra's mental instability were issues  .. she tried suicide several times.  They had an apartment in NYC - and their little son Alexander lived in an apartment across the hall with his nanny.  Both parents went back to Europe, separately, and Aspasia came to young Alexander's rescue and raised him.  Peter returned to the USA where he died following a liver transplant .. and Alexandra was largely institutionalized for the rest of her life.
Author of Queen Victoria's Descendants,
& publisher of Royal Book News.
Visit my blog, Royal Musings  http://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2005, 05:42:22 PM »
Thanks to you both.I know she was a commoner,but she was interseting to me sinse I found that she was connected with some Moldavian,Romanian and I think Italian Famous families.Her ancestors were,(forgive me if I don't spell the names of the families good):-Ioann Callimachi Prince of Moldavia,-Princess Sevastia Callimachi born 1736,-Prince Grigorius Suco 1771-1836,-Countess Sevastia Dudescu,-Prince Constantin Suzo who died in1873,-Princess Roksana Rakovitza(dont know the spelling),-Princess Euphrosina Suco 1830-1878,also Princess Euphrosina Ghica,Princess Marioara Caradga( ???),Princess Radu Caradga,also don't know the spelling,Princess Aglae Rosetti who died in 1871.......and so on.Please forgive me if I didn't spell this like I schould,but I am also puzzled with these names I found.I was also reading,I don't remember where,that Queen alexandra of Yugoslavia said in some of her books that her mother is a descedant of some Bysantine Emperor through some of these families.I know that if someone knows anything about this,it's Marlene.It would be interesting to know something about this.Thanks

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2005, 11:02:29 AM »
It seems that this Princess is a mistery to everyone...I found out about her ancestors while looking at Crown Prince Alexander of Yugoslavia(Princess Aspaias only grandson) ancestors,so I found hers also.It was quite interesting to me to see that she had a really good fimily background-Princes of Roumania,Princes of Moldavia,rulers of Wallachia(don't know about Rosetti Princely family-obviously of Italian origin) and also found out that many of her ancestors were diplomats,one of them was even Foreign Minister of Greece!Also,one of her cousins Ileana Manos(much younger) married Prince de Orleans of France

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2005, 03:47:33 PM »
This not a very good photo of Aspasia was listed on e-bay

Offline Eurohistory

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Eurohistory.com
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2005, 09:19:12 AM »
Queen Sophie of Greece did indeed warm up to both Aspasia and Alexandra.  In fact, I read this in the private diaries of Princess Olga of Greece which her son Prince Alexander of Yugoslavia has given to me for research and eventual publication.

My hope is to get these wonderful diaries to book form, along with a sizable number of Princess Olga and Prince Paul of Yugoslavia's photos.  I chose about 150 photos from their private collection this past week and now have all these materials here at home with me.

Arturo Beéche
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Eurohistory »
--
Arturo Beéche, Publisher
http://erhj.blogspot.com
European Royal History Journal
Kensington House Books
6300 Kensington Ave.
East Richmond Heights, CA 94805 USA
510/236-1730
books@eurohistory.com
http://www.eurohistory.com

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2005, 10:02:43 AM »
Great work Arturo,I met his youngest son Prince Dushan(for those who don't know son of Prince Alexander and his 2nd wife Princess Barbara von und zu Liechtenstein) a year ago at some party(very nice and polite guy),and sinse my friends know my passiomn for everything witch is royal I was seated next to him and then had a chanse to talk to him.I was talking with him about European Royals and he was very stunned how much I know so much about them(I am still 22)...Arturo,when you complete your work please inform me about it.I would be very glad...GDElla,thaks for a beautiful picture.Thanks everyone!

Offline Eurohistory

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Eurohistory.com
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2005, 12:22:58 PM »
Dushan Yugoslavia is a nice young man indeed...he reminds me so much of his father, more and more every time I see him.

I spent Monday and Tuesday in Paris with Princess Barbara, Dushan joining us for drinks and a good chat.  He is, unfortunately, not very interested in royal matters and finds it fascinating that people like us know more about his family than he does.

Dushan is dating a girl from Mexico, where he is visiting at the moment.  We discussed the possibility of doing a trip to Costa Rica together, which he is very interested in visiting and where I have a house.

Arturo Beéche
--
Arturo Beéche, Publisher
Kensington House Books
6300 Kensington Ave.
510/236-1730
books@eurohistory.com

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2005, 06:50:30 AM »
Great Arturo,I was in Paris two weeks ago and saw(just saw  :() where are they living.Please update me with your work!!!What else could you tell me about Prince Alexander and Princess Barbara,I am very interested!!!How they met,her background,with whom are they in good terms,is she going to Marisch-Sternberg Castle where she was born?Thanks in advance

Offline Eurohistory

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Eurohistory.com
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2005, 09:45:03 AM »
Princess Barbara and Prince Alexander are extremely nice people. They were my guests here in San francisco for the VIIth Eurohistory Conference last October, and of all the royal guests we have had there, they were the absolute, hands-down, best!

Princess Barbara's family castle in Moravia was destroyed by fire.  her mother visited before this and came back devastated by the reminiscences.  Princess Barbara has not been to the family estate since departing in 1945 as the soviets were pouring in.

Arturo Beéche
--
Arturo Beéche, Publisher
Kensington House Books
6300 Kensington Ave.
510/236-1730
books@eurohistory.com

Offline Eurohistory

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Eurohistory.com
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2005, 09:47:07 AM »
Oh and before I forget, the last issue of The European Royal History Journal # XLII-December 2004 has a biography of Princess Barbara's father, illustrated with photos she donated to the Eurohistory archive.

Arturo Beéche
--
Arturo Beéche, Publisher
Kensington House Books
6300 Kensington Ave.
510/236-1730
books@eurohistory.com

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2005, 06:02:56 PM »
Of course,I would like to see that.How can I get in to possesion of this magazine?Still,do you have any iformations about ancestors of even families that I have posted as Princess Aspaias ancestors...Were these families prominent ones in this region?

Offline NessimK.

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2005, 10:06:47 AM »
The princess Aspasia lived in Venice for a long time, about 30 years till 1972, when she died there. The Venicians still remember her very well, and talk about the "byzantine princess".
Aspasia lived a diffult but  exciting life. Her myth is still alive in Venice. She lived in Giardino Eden, in Judecca. She buried in "San Michele"  (Venice's cemetery) close to Stravinsky's tomb,  and in her tomb you can see even today, roses left (her favorite flowers).
She was the last in Venice that had private gondola, she was eating very often in Gritti Palace Hotel or in Harry's Bar.

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2005, 10:12:45 AM »
Aspasia Manos: