Author Topic: King Alexander I & Aspasia Manos  (Read 128898 times)

Offline Maki

• View Profile
Re: King Alexander I & Aspasia Manos
« Reply #120 on: October 23, 2005, 09:29:03 PM »
And Queen Anne of Great Britain was the last English monarch with English blood, at least until Elizabeth II, who is the daughters of a Scotswoman with English ancestry...so your point is?

George V (1865-1936) was accused by disgusting politicians of not being English...he was insulted by this statement...for had his family not live din Briatin for more than two centuries already...doesn't that make you English?

I wa snot born in the USA...I chose to come to the USA to study and later to build a life for myself here, giving up the comforts I was raised with...it was my choice...and indeed as an American by choice I would be terribly insulted if someone says to me that I am not one...now imagine how my great-great-grandchildren would feel if in the year 2065, for example, someone told them they were not American because their great-great-grandfather was not born in the USA?  Birth is an accident that can provide nationality...I made a conscious choice to adopt my new country's nationality.

The fact that the Greek royal family finds its roots in Schleswig-Holstein and not Mount Athos or Thessaly...does it make them less Greek than any other Greek today...given that the family lived in and led the country for more than a century...I believe His Majesty feels as Greek as Niarchos or Onassis, if not more so.

Arturo Beéche

The question of the ethnicity of blood seems to come up again and again in this forum.  All of us come from somewhere else.  The official definition of a Native American is “one who is known as a Native American”.  Saint Paul, who was rolled down the Acropolis in a barrel and stoned in Karpanisi, said that the Poet of Earth, (Poetis tis Gis, in the Greek creed) “hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth.”

Offline Maki

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 23, 2005, 09:34:18 PM »
Ah-hem....Melina Mercouri was not a blonde bombshell. She WAS Cultural Minister. I do not think she married the man you are referring to.

Melina married that French film director, Jules Dassin, I think his name was.
Maki
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Maki »

Offline Maki

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 24, 2005, 09:44:59 AM »

The Monarchy was not officially abolished until 1974.  
The King went into exile 1967, but remained Head of State until 1974.  
The issue of why the monarchy was abolished in a long and twisted issue, one would need endless hours to fully appreciate.  Furthermore, it depends on whose view one subscribes to.
For myself, the King was blamed by the politicians for the rise of the Junta in 1967, and while he did play a part, the part played by other players, such as the politicians, contributed just as much to the destabilization of the nation and the rise of the Junta.  One can also not neglect the part played by the U.S. in supporting the Junta.  The referendum in my opinion, is not without blemishes either.  The fact that Karamanlis swore his oath as Prime Minister to the Junta President and not the true Head of State.  The fact that the King or his supporters had no time and could not organize themselves to campaign for the monarchy, and such other factors such as harrassment of farmers and traditional monarchist areas to vote against the King to have their debts written off, etc. etc.
Long story, quite sad at the end of the day.
Regards

Iskanderbey, once again you summarize a complex period of history with compassion and wisdom.  I am becoming quite a fan of yours.  Have you written a book?  Would you consider it?

Offline Iskenderbey

• Boyar
  • Zito o Vasileus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 24, 2005, 10:32:18 AM »

Iskanderbey, once again you summarize a complex period of history with compassion and wisdom.  I am becoming quite a fan of yours.  Have you written a book?  Would you consider it?

While I thank you, Please, no need for the praise.
I am just another student of history thorougly interested in modern Greek history and the very important role that the Greek monarchy played in shaping modern Greece, not to mention that I am very interested in the members of the Greek Royal Family as individuals, outside the realm of their duties.

I have considered writing, but unfortunately I don't have the resources or the time to do so at present...I don't even know how to start!  But who knows what the future holds!
Xaipetismata!

Offline Modena

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 06, 2005, 11:48:55 AM »
Thank you very much for this!Could you tell me more about her book ''For a King's love''?I can't find it anywhere...P.S.Alex,where are you from?

A good place to find rare royal books:

www.abebooks.com

I've found many an out of print book from the many booksellers on this site.  :D

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 08, 2005, 06:33:49 PM »
I will post some pictures of Jardino Eden that AlexM. send to me;

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 08, 2005, 06:34:32 PM »

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 08, 2005, 06:35:39 PM »

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 08, 2005, 06:36:21 PM »

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 08, 2005, 06:37:20 PM »
Two photos of the garden...

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 08, 2005, 06:37:49 PM »

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 08, 2005, 06:38:27 PM »

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 08, 2005, 06:39:52 PM »
Two photos of the pool...

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 08, 2005, 06:40:19 PM »

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 08, 2005, 06:41:37 PM »
And one photo of the owner:Princess Aspasia with her daughter Alexandra!One more time-thanks AlexM.