Author Topic: King Alexander I & Aspasia Manos  (Read 118563 times)

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: King Alexander I & Aspasia Manos
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2005, 07:45:30 AM »
Thanks for your info and for picture!She was claiming she descended from Bysantine Emperors through some of the families I posted but don't know how...Also don't know much about these families either!

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2005, 01:32:21 PM »
During the Aspasia Manos 'crisis' (about Alexander wanting to marry her), the Duke of Connaught was sent to Greece in the hope that he could influence the young King in the right direction (ie not abdicating over it and thus sending the country into total chaos). This caused an impression to be made that the British hoped that Princess Patricia would marry the King; another rumor was that perhaps the way was going to be cleared for young Arthur to take over the throne. None of this was true, however, and when the Duke himself interviewed Aspasia Manos, he found her 'very nice, simple and well-educated'. Though Lord Granville thought he was disappointed by her looks, others felt that he was very charmed be her and supported the marriage.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline jfkhaos

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2005, 01:43:36 PM »
I had read that the "intended" was not Princess Patricia, but Princess Mary, Princess Royal, and that Alexander was afraid that, if this was the case, it would cause damage between the Greek and British courts as to his answer.  Apparently the Duke of Connaught thought that Aspasia was highly attractive.

Offline Danjel

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Royal Splendour
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2005, 05:49:06 AM »
A nice picture of Aspasia when she gained her flying-certificate in 1931

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2005, 12:45:06 PM »
Wau,what a picture!Does anyone have a picture of her unfortunate daughter Alexandra?

Marc, I don't know Alexandra's story, why was she unfortunate? Thanks.

Offline Danjel

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Royal Splendour
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2005, 12:49:36 PM »

Offline Danjel

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Royal Splendour
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2005, 12:51:11 PM »
Am going to a birthday party, so very quick, I have an article about Alexandra I can translate, but I know she tried to commit suicide..

Offline Danjel

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Royal Splendour
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2005, 12:52:07 PM »

Offline NessimK.

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2005, 05:11:02 AM »
The Alexandra's book is FOR THE KING'S LOVE(1952),  an autobiography about her life until 1952, full of fotos and memories....

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2005, 12:48:29 PM »
She loved her husband more than he loved her...Fair enough to be unfortunate...Danjel,I can't see your two pictures  :( Averyone,thanks for posting them!

Offline lostfan

• Boyar
  • lille prins christian
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2005, 01:10:48 PM »
Does anyone know anything about him? Are there photos? I know he died early from an accident, but what exactly killed him and why did his father abdicate in his favor instead of his older brother?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by lostfan »
Men are haunted by the vastness of eternity. And so we ask ourselves: will our actions echo across the centuries? Will strangers hear our names long after we're gone and wonder who we were? How bravely we fought? How fiercely we loved?

bluetoria

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2005, 01:42:25 PM »
During the WWI, King Constantine, against the wishes of his Prime Minister, refused to side with the Allies. He was eventually forced to flee the country. The Allies then refused to accept his son, George, as king because of his background in the German military. That's why Alexander was chosen.
He was bitten by a monkey & died of septicaemia.

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2005, 09:38:48 PM »
Yes,quite so!!!  :) Strange thing,isn't it?Most of the Protestant-Lutheran(Great Britain,Belgium,Netherlands,Denmark,Norway...) and even Ortodox reigning families were Germans(Russia,Bulgaria,Greece)...or have been married to the Germans(Sweden-Leuchtenberg,Baden,Nassau,Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha,Battenberg,even Sommerlath  ::) )...and the most interesting-everybody tried to hide their German origines with changing their family names(Battenberg to Mountbatten,Teck to Cambridge,Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha to Windsor,Holstein-Gottorp to Romanov,Schhleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Augustenburg's even droped their German titles,but didn't change surname  :D )!

Offline LisaDavidson

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2005, 11:02:36 PM »
A great deal of the distancing oneself from German origins has been as a result of perceived German aggresion during WWI and WWII. I might add, that royals are not the only ones who  have practiced this. Ordinary people also have done this, especially after WWII and the Holocaust.

Offline NessimK.

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2005, 05:02:27 AM »
Yes Grand-Duke you have right. Aspasia and Alexandra are the only  princess with trueborn Greece blood . Also Alexandros of Yougoslavia ( in a half). Pehaps that reason made  lot of problems  for them with a many members of Greek royal family.