Author Topic: King Alexander I & Aspasia Manos  (Read 129027 times)

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: King Alexander I & Aspasia Manos
« Reply #180 on: January 13, 2010, 03:09:16 PM »
Interesting French connection here !

The photo with King Peter showed Alexandra wearing Queen Elizabeth (The Queen Mum)'s wedding present of a pair of long diamond earrings.

Offline djordjes

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 25, 2010, 05:31:27 PM »
I have done a little research about Aspasia Manos and her ancestry and she was right when she claimed that she is the descendant of Byzantine Emperors...here is one of her lines:

IOANNES VI Kantakouzenos,Emperor of Byzantium,lived from 1295-1383
I
MATIAS Asen Kantakouzenos,Co-Emperor of Byzantium,lived from 1325-1391
I
Demetrios I Kantakouzenos,sebastokrator and Despot of Morea,lived from 1343-1420
I
Eirene Kantakouzene,basilissa of Morea,lived from 1400-1457
I
Stefan Brankovic ''the blind" of Serbia,Despot of Raska,lived from 1425-1476
I
Jovan Brankovic,Despot of Raska,lived from 1465-1502
I
Princess Jelena Brankovc of Raska,strangled in 1546
I
Princess Ruxandra of Moldavia,Regent of Moldavia,lived from 1537-1570
I
Ilias,Ruler of Wallachia
I
Alexandru Ilias,Duke of Wallachia
I
Ilias Alexandru,Duke o Wallachia from 1666-1668
I
Princess Sultane Chrysokula of Wallachia,died in 1694
I
Princess Helene Mavrocordato,lived from 1682-1722
I
Princess Marioara Rosetti
I
Michael Soutzo,Prince of Wallachia and Moldavia,lived from 1729-1803
I
Prince Georgi Soutzo,lived fom 1771-1836
I
Prince Constantin Soutzo,died in 1873
I
Princess Euphrosine Soutzo,lived from 1830-1878
I
Roxane Mavromichalis,lived from 1848-1905
I
Colonel Petros Manos,lived from 1871-1918
I
ASPASIA MANOS,Princess of Greece,lived from 1896-1972

It is also interesting to know that she is also related to the George VI,King of Britain,who was one of the witnesses at the wedding of her daughter Princess Alexandra and a godfather of her grandson Prince Alexander of Serbia...
Very interesting line. Where did you find this sources?

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 26, 2010, 09:19:32 AM »
I combined genealogy sites and put the puzzle...you can go to genealogics.org and follow the ancestry until one point and then went to Mr.Marek genealogy site and followed from there the rest...

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 26, 2010, 09:29:28 AM »
Aspasia Manos did have an interesting ancestry. It would be nice to have more information on her. Her story is usually interwinded with that of her more famous husband and daughter.

Offline greekroyalist

• View Profile
    • Greek Royalist
« Reply #184 on: April 15, 2010, 04:21:02 AM »
So, according to Marc's genealogic tree, Aspasia Manos was the granddaughter of Efrosini Soutsos.. Efrosini was  king George's girlfriend, before he married Olga! And her granddaughter had a relationship with George's grandson.. Sooo interesting how this family was always involved with the greek royal family of Glucksburgs.. Both Efrosini and Aspasia weren't lucky with their love..

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 15, 2010, 07:00:06 AM »
Well,she is a great-granddaughter of Euphrosine according to genealogy site,not me  :-)

Didn't know that her great-grandmother had an affair with Alexander's grandfather...very interesting!

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 15, 2010, 10:31:22 AM »
Yes. The Glucksborg men are always lady killers (both George I and his brother Frederick VIII). There is a story of Bertie (Edward VII) exchanging contacts with his brother-in-law Frederick VII of a "Miss Ida here and another girl from the flower shop there...".  ;)

Offline greekroyalist

• View Profile
    • Greek Royalist
« Reply #187 on: April 15, 2010, 02:27:36 PM »
George I, was indeed a ladies' man. Emmanuel Rhoides, a greek author (1836-1904) had said about the king that ''he is the father of the half greek babies ''. George had fell in love for Efrosini Soutsou by the time he came to Greece. The couple would go horse-riding toghether every day, and the greek people wanted Efrosini to marry him, it was like a fairy-tale romance to them.. But George's father learned about their relationship and got angry, he threated George that he would take him back to Denmark! So George, had to end the romance in order to keep his crown. After marrying Olga, he never stopped flirting the beautiful Greek ladies.. There happened a big scandal, when someday, in his fiftys George flirted openly, the greek prime minister's, Charilaos Trikoupis siste,r Sophia, in front of queen Olga!

Anyway, for some reason i don't think that Alexander was as playboy, as his grand father, or his father Constantine I, were.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 15, 2010, 03:17:30 PM »
Queen Olga was indeed a saint to put up with that.  :(

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 15, 2010, 05:50:25 PM »
It is interesting to note that Euphrosine was also a Princess and that her family was once a ruling one in Moldavia and Wallachia...

Offline Clemence

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 04, 2010, 04:42:00 PM »
. There happened a big scandal, when someday, in his fiftys George flirted openly, the greek prime minister's, Charilaos Trikoupis siste,r Sophia, in front of queen Olga!

I think Sophia Trikoupi should have a thread of her own somewhere in this forum. I recall she was among the few admitted to play with Queen Vivtoria's children when they where very young, and the Queen seemed to like her a great deal. She was very mature for her own age, very talented, very beautiful and also very unlucky, smashed between the two most important greek politicians of that era: the man she loved the most, her brother, and the man she wanted to marry, her brothers no1 political adversary. What a waste!
'' It used to be all girls without clothes. Now itís all clothes with no girls. Pity.''

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 04, 2010, 04:49:52 PM »
Yes. Why not ? She sounds fasinating.  :)

Offline Carolath Habsburg

• Velikye Knyaz
  • As seen on TUMBLR!
    • View Profile
    • Victorian & edwardian roleplay in spanish!
« Reply #192 on: November 13, 2010, 06:12:05 PM »
Alexander & Aspasia

Courtesy of Grand Duchess Ally

"...Пусть он землю бережет родную, А любовь Катюша сбережет....". Grand Duchess Ekaterina Fyodorovna to Grand Duke Georgiy Alexandrovich. 1914

Join the cause "We want an Ignore button

Offline KarlandZita

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Mama Regina Elena
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 03, 2011, 07:08:31 AM »
Aspasia and her daughter Alexandra in 1936 :

Reginei Mama Elena a Romaniei

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 11, 2012, 08:34:13 AM »
I also found some interesting notes about Aspasia's Russian ancestry...

Her ancestor Katerina Obreshkova, who married Prince Ioannis Soutzo ( Greek Minister Plenipotentiary to St. Peterburg ) , son of Michail Soutzo, reigning Prince of Molavia ( 1818-1821 ), was daughter of Dmitri Obreshkov ( 1790-1864 ) and Countess Natalia Sheremeteva ( 1795-1868 )...

Countess Natalia Sheremeteva is in turn descendant of most prominent families such as Galitzine, Obolensky, Apraksin...Through her Princess Aspasia is descendant of Roman the "Great", Grand Duke of Kiev ( 1160-1205 ) who is descendant of Emperor Constantine IX of Byzantium, King Harold II of England, King Inge Stenkilsson of Sweden, many Holy Roman Emperors such as Konrad II , Heinrich III, Heinrich IV, Counts of Savoy and so on...

Hope this was not tiring too much,but it came as a surprise to me as I didn't know that she had Russian ancestry...