Thought some of the folks here might find this interesting...On Wednesday's I host a trivia game (sometimes referred to as 'Pub Quiz' or just 'Quizzo' depending on where you live) at a local bar/restaurant. Since I'm also responsible for coming up with the questions I decided to put together a Russian round for this week's game!
Below are the questions and a list of the scores. No doubt most of you on this forum will find these laughably easy to answer, but I think it interesting to see what type of knowledge there is (or lack thereof in many instances) for this particular topic among the general population. Keep in mind the clientele at this establishment is mostly upper-middle class 20s and 30-somethings (those you might refer to as "young professionals"). It's a pretty healthy split between male and female with a fair share of 50+ year olds as well.
Russian Round Questions
1) Technically the Sochi games are the first ever Olympics hosted by Russia. The Soviet Union however did host the 1980 Summer Games. In what city did it take place?
2) This cultural capital of Russia was renamed Petrograd in 1914 and then Leningrad from 1924 to 1991.
3) This 18th century female ruler led Russia through its “golden age”.
4) Perhaps the greatest of all Russian Tsars this ruler who reigned from 1682 to 1721 was responsible for bringing Russia into the modern age.
5) The Russian revolution that toppled Nicholas II and the Tsarist regime took place in March of what year?
6) Alexei Nicholaevich Romanov, the only son of Tsar Nicholas II, suffered from what debilitating disease? It was nicknamed the “Royal Disease".
7) What infamous Russian mystic & holy man was murdered by members of the royal family in December of 1916?
8 ) The "1812 Overture" from what Russian composer is often ranked as one of the ten greatest classical pieces of all-time.
9) This stunning Russian born female tennis player has won four grand slam singles titles in the past decade.
10) In 2012 three members of what outspoken female punk rock group were each sentenced to two years in prison for "Hooliganism"?
Scores By Team
Team A) 10
Team B) 9
Team C) 9
Team D) 9
Team E) 8
Team F) 7
Team G) 7
Team H) 6
Team I) 6
Team J) 4
Team K) 4
Team L) 4
Team M) 4
Team N) 4
Average Score - 6.5
Questions Ranked Easiest to Hardest - 1, 8, 10, 9, 2, 7, 6, 4, 3, 5