Author Topic: Who was Stefan [Filipovich] Bezuglov?  (Read 23956 times)

Offline Inok Nikolai

• Graf
  • Irkutsk, Russia 1977
    • View Profile
Re: Who was Stefan [Filipovich] Bezuglov?
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2014, 07:06:34 AM »
https://db.tt/Hjoc6Tj3 - Maybe someone can read the Cyrillic on this photograph?

It says approximately:
Фотографiе Л. Д. Грановская = Photographs L. D. Granovskaya
Г. Майконь = G. Maykon'

So probably just the name of the photographer. Maykon' means "May horse".

Not quite. The "g" stands for "gorord" = town or city, and the last letter is a "p" -- the Kuban Cossack town of "Maikop"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maykop
инок Николай

Offline Mike

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Erast Fandorin Museum
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2014, 09:44:26 AM »
The posted photo (DB images don't open with me) shows a staff captain [pod'yesaul] of the 1st Kuban Cossack Foot battalion in full dress uniform, prior to 1912. He doesn't belong to the HM's Own Convoy. Moreover, he's most likely not Stepan Bezuglov, because no officer of that name served in the Kuban Cossack Host, at least after 1908.

Offline Превед

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Мой Великий Север
    • View Profile
    • Type Russian Without a Keyboard
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2014, 10:26:45 AM »
https://db.tt/Hjoc6Tj3 - Maybe someone can read the Cyrillic on this photograph?
It says approximately:
Фотографiе Л. Д. Грановская = Photographs L. D. Granovskaya
Г. Майконь = G. Maykon'

So probably just the name of the photographer. Maykon' means "May horse".
Not quite. The "g" stands for "gorord" = town or city, and the last letter is a "p" -- the Kuban Cossack town of "Maikop"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maykop

Ah, thanks for the correction! Here we easily see how one feather can become five hens, when we try to find meaning in all kinds of shaky interpretations and memories. I was very satisfied with "May horse", because we are after all talking about Cossacks here :-)

Is it correct to assume that the photographer was a woman, based on the surname? Or is it in the female form because it's a firm / studio name?

1st Kuban Cossack Foot battalion
There was Cossack infantry!? Not enough horses or no use for them?

a staff captain [pod'yesaul]

Svetlana Bezuglov, do you know this song: Бывший подъесаул - Former Pod'yesaul
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 10:32:46 AM by Превед »
Берёзы севера мне милы,—
Их грустный, опущённый вид,
Как речь безмолвная могилы,
Горячку сердца холодит.

(Афанасий Фет: «Ивы и берёзы», 1843 / 1856)

Offline Inok Nikolai

• Graf
  • Irkutsk, Russia 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2014, 10:33:13 AM »
Do we know the names of the guards in this photo with the Tsar and Alexei? I also think there is strong resemblence between my Grandfather and the man right behind the Tsar (on the right - when looking at the photo) which is the Tsar's left. But I could be wrong. Just look so similar it is scary!

Well, the history book on H.I.M. Own Convoy, published in Russian in San Francisco in 1961, identifies that officer as G. A. Rashpil, and notes that he was later killed.

Modern, on-line, reprint of the book here:
http://www.regiment.ru/Lib/A/5/1.htm

The photo with captions, here:
http://www.regiment.ru/Lib/A/5/36.jpg
инок Николай

Offline Mike

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Erast Fandorin Museum
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2014, 12:20:35 PM »
Now that the DB images opened, a few more details:
- The photographer's name is Granovsky, and he's definitely male.
- The guy presumed to be a grand duke isn't even an officer. He is an army's civil servant, probably a weapon master. There's also a military surgeon on this photo.
- The women on one of the photos wear Circassian costumes, so the men in black fur hats are also apparently Circassians.

Offline Mike

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Erast Fandorin Museum
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2014, 12:57:26 PM »
As I've guessed, the officer on the photos is not Stepan Bezuglov. He's been positively identified as pod'yesaul Mikhail Zozulin, of 1st Kuban Cossack Foot battalion. In 1917 promoted to colonel, commanded 20th Kuban Cossack Foot battalion. Fought in the Civil War, emigrated to Yugoslavia, in 1941 joined the Russian Corps on the German side, died in Germany in 1945. Here's his photo in the mixed Russian-German uniform of the Russian Corps (front row, center):

Offline Bezuglov

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2014, 05:41:27 PM »
Sorry I have been absent as I have been doing my own research and wanted to put some information out there on my further discoveries. I will also need to repost the photos for better clarity and detail as the ones uploaded are only photos of photos from my mobile and hence not so clear.

I worked out when the group photos were taken. During WW1 1914 to September 1915, but most likely 1915. Danilov was appointed to the Northern Front as Chief of Staff ,Commander of the 25th Corps from Sept 1915 to 1916 And 1916 to 1917 Commander of the 5th Army.

To make the photo bigger click: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/85071626/20140223_155336.jpg

My grandpa remained with the Grand Duke Nikolai Nikolaievic who was appointed to the post of Viceroy of the Caucasus on 21st August 1915 by the Tsar. (My Aunt Agnessa was born 1914 in Kars an autonomous state belonging to Russia in Turkey.) In 1916 the Russian army captured the Fortress at Erzerum etc that is where my grandpa was.

My grandpa was Stepan Filipovic Bezuglov.
His father was Filip Bezuglov.
His mother was Marina Bezuglov.
After their marriage she would be called according to Russian tradition:
Princess Marina Cherkasskaja Bezuglov.
Her father was Prince Cherkasskii
Her mother was Princess Ninella Kobahidze of Gruzia (Georgia).

Bela Crkva in Banat sheltered many Russian refugees who escaped from the horrors of the civil war. In the twenties and thirties where my father went to school the town hosted:

• The Nicholas Cavalry School
    The Crimean Cadet Corps Azande it's successor
    The first Russian Cadet Corps of Great Prince Konstantin Konstantinovic

I think that Stepan's father Filip was in the same military Russian Cadet Cors school as the Great Prince Konstantin Konstantinovic and thus have the same epilettes and thus their children finished the same military school? And that is why they are in the same photograph together as they belonged to the same society.

To make the photo bigger click: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/85071626/20140223_155336.jpg
Danilov is the old man in the middle of second front row with the white fur hat sitting next to his daughter. Same row as Stepan my grandpa (who is on the end of the left next to the woman).

Danilov is also in the big group photo (right in middle third row).  Grand Duke is sitting same row to the right of the picture with a man inbetween them.
To make the photo bigger click: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/85071626/20140223_155306.jpg

So this is only some of what I have learnt along the way but thought I would update you thiu far. I really appreciate every feedback given as your expertise and knowledge just continues to inspire me to keep digging.

Svetlana Bezuglov

Offline Превед

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Мой Великий Север
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2014, 06:28:21 PM »
Huh, didn't you see Mike's and Inok Nikolai's posts about the man in the pictures not being Bezuglov and there being no grand dukes in the pictures? I can assure you Mike is an expert with regard to Russian Imperial military and both he and Inok Nikolai know their stuff!

Is this some alternative fantasy you entertain because you don't want to acknowledge that your grandfather fought on the German side in WW2?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 06:55:12 PM by Превед »
Берёзы севера мне милы,—
Горячку сердца холодит.

Offline Превед

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Мой Великий Север
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2014, 06:49:04 PM »
My grandpa was Stepan Filipovic Bezuglov.
His father was Filip Bezuglov.
His mother was Marina Bezuglov.
Her mother was Princess Ninella Kobahidze of Gruzia (Georgia).

The princely Cherkasskiy / Черкасский family went extinct in the 18th century, as far as I can see. but it's a fairly common bourgeois surname.
There doesn't seem to have been any Georgian princely family called Kobahidze / Кобахидзе. It seems like an ordinary Georgian family name only famous because of some current football players.

No, a Princess Marina Cherkasskaya would have been known as Madame (Marina) Bezuglova after her marriage. Daughters of Russian princes did not retain their title after their marriage, something which is well illustrated by Russian having different terms for the unmarried daughter of a prince (княжна / knyazhna) and the wife of a prince (княагина / knyagina).
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 07:09:38 PM by Превед »
Берёзы севера мне милы,—
Горячку сердца холодит.

Offline Превед

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Мой Великий Север
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2014, 07:44:15 PM »
No, a Princess Marina Cherkasskaya would have been known as Madame (Marina) Bezuglova after her marriage. Daughters of Russian princes did not retain their title after their marriage, something which is well illustrated by Russian having different terms for the unmarried daughter of a prince (княжна / knyazhna) and the wife of a prince (княагина / knyagina).

Most well-known example:
Her Excellency Mrs. Privy Councillor Karenina née Princess Anna Arkadyevna Oblonskaya.

Correction: Wife of a prince: княгиня / knyaginya.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 08:04:28 PM by Превед »
Берёзы севера мне милы,—
Горячку сердца холодит.

Offline Превед

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Мой Великий Север
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2014, 08:42:45 PM »
pod'yesaul Mikhail Zozulin

Wow, when I searched for подьесаул Михаил Зозулин I came to this site: http://forum.fstanitsa.ru/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=35&start=10 with the exact same photo as was posted here and lots of very accurate genealogical information without any fanciful fairytales about grand dukes.
Берёзы севера мне милы,—
Горячку сердца холодит.

Offline Bezuglov

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2014, 08:57:11 PM »

Thank you for your help Превед - No I didn't see the replies (until now for some reason). Sorry I am still new and learning on this forum. Thank you for all your help - much appreciated. I do respect everyone's feedback and obviously knowledge on this topic. Apologies if I offended you as I did not mean to not read the replies. Thank you for taking the time to assist.

SB

Offline Bezuglov

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2014, 09:08:07 PM »
As I've guessed, the officer on the photos is not Stepan Bezuglov. He's been positively identified as pod'yesaul Mikhail Zozulin, of 1st Kuban Cossack Foot battalion. In 1917 promoted to colonel, commanded 20th Kuban Cossack Foot battalion. Fought in the Civil War, emigrated to Yugoslavia, in 1941 joined the Russian Corps on the German side, died in Germany in 1945. Here's his photo in the mixed Russian-German uniform of the Russian Corps (front row, center):

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your reply. Can I just confirm you were looking at the right person as Stefan? I didn't proclaim he was an officer? Apologies for the confusion. And once again you have been an incredible help with your expertise. Really appreciate it.

Offline Bezuglov

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2014, 04:53:50 PM »
I understand my grandfather, Stepan was called Stepan Filipovic Bezuglov His father was called Filip Bezuglov

Mike,
Do you think you could tell me more about this uniform?
Rgds,
SB

Offline Mike

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Erast Fandorin Museum
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2014, 12:55:02 AM »
a staff captain [pod'yesaul] of the 1st Kuban Cossack Foot battalion in full dress uniform, prior to 1912.