Author Topic: Gleb and Tatiana Botkin, children of Dr Botkin  (Read 69566 times)

Offline Almedingen

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Gleb and Tatiana Botkin, children of Dr Botkin
« on: April 13, 2004, 02:59:50 PM »
Thomas,

Could you tell us more about her memoirs?  What kinds of pictures does the book have?  Did you find the book interesting?  Does she give a lot of unknown facts about the Romanovs, etc.?

Offline Janet_W.

• Velikye Knyaz
  • ...And no one's grief has ever passed you by...
    • View Profile
Re: Gleb and Tatiana Botkin, children of Dr Botkin
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2004, 04:11:39 PM »
Have her memoirs been published in English? So far I've only heard of them being published in French.  I have read her brother's book about Anastasia, but it would be great to be able to read what Tatiana Botkin says.

Offline LisaDavidson

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2004, 01:21:32 AM »
Tatiana is buried at the cemetery at Sainte-Genevieve-des-Bois in Paris. I don't have her death date.

elisa_1872

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2004, 05:48:55 PM »
I read that her brother died in the 1960s, and that she died "some twenty years later". The precise date i can't yet find..

Elisa

PS) LisaDavidson, that's great to know where she is now resting! May i ask how did you find the infos?

Offline Thierry

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2004, 06:06:34 PM »
Sainte-Geneviève-des-Bois is not in Paris.

It is a small city near Paris.

Joanna Mayer

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2004, 10:45:58 PM »
Thanks
I thought that this was a suburb of Paris. I was wrong!

Offline LisaDavidson

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2004, 12:24:06 AM »
Sorry, I don't recall the source. I remember reading a list of who is buried there, and unfortunately don't know Paris or the cities around it well enough to even be able to pinpoint its location!

Offline Thierry

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2004, 06:02:55 AM »

Offline LisaDavidson

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2004, 02:13:36 PM »
That looks like the one. All I have is a note that TBM was buried there, but no attribution. This must have been it, thanks!

Offline M_Breheny

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2004, 08:01:51 PM »
"Lost Tales: Stories for the Tsar's Children" is a charming book of drawings and stories by Gleb Botkin.  The foreword states that Gleb's delightful illustrations were based on stories written by the grand duchesses and Alexei, apparently while they all were in Tobolsk.   I have wondered how Dr. Botkin's son was able to get his pictures and writings into the Governor's House for the children to look through and to make changes to the stories.  It must have been even more difficult for them to return the drawings/writings to Gleb.  

Mary

Janet Whitcomb

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2004, 10:28:36 PM »
Yet another excellent point. It would be wonderful if Gleb's daugher and/or any other family members or associates might hear about this site, come online and tell us a bit more.

Offline Greg_King

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Atlantis Magazine
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2004, 12:46:59 AM »
Dr. Botkin regularly took the drawings, stories, letters, notes, and presents between his children and the Imperial children back and forth between the Kornilov House and the Governor's House in Tobolsk.

Greg King

Nadya Arapov

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2004, 09:43:17 PM »
According to Peter Kurth's website Tatiana Botkina Melnik died in 1986.

I believe she was divorced from Mr. Melnik and had reverted to her maiden name, however, I could be mistaken.

evelyne strechinsky

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2004, 07:35:59 PM »
Just fell on your conversation  while I was looking for something else. For information, Mrs. Botkina Melnik's son, Constantin Melnik, was head of the French Intelligence and wrote many books after he retired from Secret Service. TBM was convinced that "Anastasia" was genuine and appeared on French TV in the 70's to support her case.Her granddaughter, Catherine, was with me at school at the time. It seems she co-wrote the book "'Au temps des tsars" with her grandmother. Hope this helps!

Offline Wahoo

• "I'm 56 but I'm gonna be 57."
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2005, 07:17:32 AM »
Good morning.  I was an undergraduate at the University of Virginia, from 1966-1970.  And I had the pleasure of knowing Gleb Botkin personally, up till his death in 1969. I recall: 1) Gleb's usual lunch was a hot dog, always with "Mister Mustard." To this day I recall his answer to my complaint about how very hot it was. "But (my name) what is mustard FOR?" 2) I'm not sure how many people know this- but Gleb was very active in his own "Church of Aphrodite" and in fact had personally appeared before the NY state Supreme Court in 1939(?), to argue for his charter. (He told me the judge's comment on awarding him the charter had been "I guess it's better than worshipping Mary Baker Eddy.") The vast majority of Gleb's energy went into this church, especially trying to find someone to take it over, once he'd gone on to meet the Goddess in the sky, or wherever it was you go to meet Her.  It's just amazing to me today, to see how the Wiccans have tried to coopt Gleb as one of their own.  There was never the slightest hint of eroticism in Gleb's church (though he maintained that sexuality was a natural expression of love, and found great fault in what he saw as Christianity's disdain for it.)   But for Gleb it was never about sex- it was all about theology. And (if memory serves), his was a kind of process theism, in which the Goddess had "given birth" after a fasion, to the cosmos (he always used "cosmos" rather than "universe".) And the world evolves on its present course, much as a child does after being born.  3) Around 1968, the KGB paid a visit to Gleb in C'ville, to invite him to return to Russia. Gleb's answer to them was "No thanks, not after you murdered my father." I saw him shortly after the visit, and he did seem shaken by it.  4) Gleb chain-smoked Pall Mall non-filters, always with a fine cigarette holder.  He smoked so much, in fact, that his gray beard was brown all around his mouth.  5) Gleb seemed remarkably fit - I believe he died at age 69 in 1969.  I'd go out with him on his afternoon walks, and could barely keep up with him, even though at the time I was 18.  6) Gleb held regular "services"- in front of a statue of Aphrodite, and dressed in full archbishop regalia- complete with the female (cross/circle) symbol on top of the mitre he wore on his head. His wife Nadine also attended. Nadine had "converted" later on in life, which pleased Gleb immensely I think, though he hastened to point out he'd never once "pressured" her to do so. Gleb even published (at his own expense) a little book entitled "In Search of Reality"- softcover, which argued that Aphrodite was the supreme deity, and that creation had been "organic" much like a woman giving birth. 7) Nadine and Gleb were very close. She called him "Glebushka" and he always doted on her.

Gleb was a truly wonderful man. Everyone who knew him instantly liked him. Those of us who knew him count ourselves lucky.

Anyway, I thought you might enjoy a few "tidbits" about Gleb, from someone who knew him during his final years.

I don't know how Gleb's reputation has fared over the years since I knew him at U. Va.  But I do know that for those of us who knew him, he'll always be the same wonderful and remarkable man he was for us back then.

I'll check back from time to time, to offer more memories, and read the feedback.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Wahoo »