Author Topic: Gleb and Tatiana Botkin, children of Dr Botkin  (Read 76072 times)

Offline Wahoo

• "I'm 56 but I'm gonna be 57."
    • View Profile
Re: Gleb and Tatiana Botkin, children of Dr Botkin
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2005, 01:49:02 PM »
Hi Lexi4- I'll also miss your posts.  I'm not a "people person" by any means. But the people here seem kinda nice. Heck, I even like Etonexile.

Tomorrow my wife leave on a 3-week trip "in the motor car" -- touring the States. Canadians do that you know- partly because you have some things there, that we can't get here. Like some over-the-counter medicines f'rinstance. (Of course we have some things here, that you can't get there- like free health care for instance.) You also have a much higher murder rate, but that's offset by the very cheap beer we can buy in the US ($7.99 for a case last time I was in NY).  Beer here in Canada is very expensive- the cheap junkie stuff is about $28 for a case- about 3X as much as in the States. (They probably use the difference to pay for our free health care.)  Being an alcoholic ain't cheap here in Canada. We call a case of beer a "two four" because it contains 24 beers.

I was kinda hoping Laura would fire back- and give me what for, just as I deserve.  I know my veggie daughter sure wouldn't take a tirade like mine yesterday, without firing back a few well-chosen salvos of her own. But  nope- I see Laura's taken the higher ground. She's opted to be gracious and remain silent.   I always feel so stupid when people do that. Like I've said something I shouldn't.  (My wife says I do that all the time.)  I'm glad this is just the Net, and not real life. 'Cause this way at least she can't picket my house with signs like "Meat is murder".  Or plaster my house with pictures of those cows and chickens like she did yesterday. (I think my Omaha steak picture was much prettier than her cows, don't you?) I don't think she'd do that, though. Because she does seem like a very nice person.  I mean,  she feels sorry for cows and chickens. Heck, she probably feels sorry for me too.   Might even be praying for me.  I've kept a list down through the years, of people who said they're "praying for me."  And right now the number stands at 471.  At least they said they would. I don't know if Laura's a religious person, but if she is, I guess now that number stands at 472.

Anyway, I ain't complaining. Tomorrow we're driving into Cowboy Country, and we can use all the prayers we can get.  

It's funny how different things upset different people.   Know what upsets the folks at our synagogue? The word "Lord."  Or referring to God as "He."  They're very big on "gender neutral" language when referring to the Deity.   So I guess one man's (or woman's) suffering  bovine is another man's "Lord."  You just never can tell, what will upset people.

To the folks at my synagogue: I'm sorry I said "The Lord is my shepherd" that time in our Yom Kippur service.  

To any Hindus reading this: I'm sorry for mentioning scrambled eggs in my Post about East Asia.

Sorry sorry sorry. Mea culpa. Mea maxima culpa.

I am not worthy.

See you Lexi4. See you everyone else.  :)

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Wahoo »

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2005, 03:41:06 PM »
My answer:  Yes of course Gleb spoke of her often.  And she was often in his home when I'd go visit. She even attended a lecture Gleb gave once, at one of the historical societies at U. Va.  With her face wrapped tightly in a scarf, to avoid recognition. She was quite paranoid. But not nearly as paranoid as her (very new) husband Jack Manahan, who at a picnic with Gleb, refused to shake my hand because the "CIA" was out to poison him, and I might be an agent wearing a poison ring.  That was quite sad actually- to see how Jack's lunacy harmed that old woman. She finally was removed from their home, by the Albemarle welfare agency, and I believe placed in a home of some kind. But everyone who knew them, knew that Jack was batty as a bedbug.

Oh wow, sounds like they all would have fit in well with the conspiracy theorists on the survivor forum here!;) So I guess they'd be right proud of them if they could read it now. :D

Thanks for sharing!  :)

Offline Michelle

• Knyaz
  • No more school forever!  Well,except college.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2005, 10:17:39 PM »

Oh wow, sounds like they all would have fit in well with the conspiracy theorists on the survivor forum here!;) So I guess they'd be right proud of them if they could read it now. :D

Thanks for sharing!  :)

::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Offline RealAnastasia

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2005, 07:52:10 PM »
Annie: I would not discuss here any survivors theories. I said I'll keep my opinions by me...But WHY on hearth are you so ironical? I never said anything to you before, for I'm very polite and don't like to be harsh with other members. But people can think exactly they wants to. If they like to believe in fayries, let them do it. If they are fanatics of this or that, let them do it.

As for Wahoo, thank you four your post: I do not agree with your religious personal beliefs (even if I'm a religious person myself, a Catholic) but your info about Gleb Botkin was very useful for me as an historian. I'm studying Anna Anderson case and I would know more things about Jack Manahan. It was a pretty crazy guy,if I believe your post and other books I read about the case!  ::) And why Gleb said that Anna was like a dog for Jack? I believed he was pretty sweet with her(in a crazy way, of course), and that it was her who was harsh to him...

RealAnastasia.

Offline depshf

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2005, 08:52:06 PM »
Mr. King, My wife had a neighbor,whos name was Peter Botkin. This man was the grandson of Gleb. She became good friends with Mr. Botkin,and he gave her several things before he died. One of the items were pen and ink drawings of bears in Russian Uniforms,dated and signed by Gleb Botkin,also he gave her a ring that is supposed to be one of anna's. Is this something that would be of interest to historians?

Offline Richard_Schweitzer

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2005, 11:15:21 AM »
This statement that the stories were composed by the Imperial Children is not correct. They were written by Gleb. The originals are all now in the U.S. Library of Congress.

The "Foreword" says nothing to the contrary.

Richard Schweitzer

Offline Janet_W.

• Velikye Knyaz
  • ...And no one's grief has ever passed you by...
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2005, 08:38:36 PM »
When you have the time, Mr. Schweitzer, I'm sure many of us would like to know more about your wife's father and his father before him. Thank you in advance for anything you might want to volunteer!

Offline RealAnastasia

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2005, 09:49:46 PM »
I just read in "Nicholas and Alexandra", by Robert K. Massie, that Gleb Botkin did these excellent drawing to enjoy himself as a child (I used to do the same when I was a little girl). He showed his drawings to the Imperial Children and they liked them very much. Anastasia uses to make up stories about these drawings, and amuse Gleb telling them to him. But the stories wasn't made to amuse the Imperial Children. By the way, you must recall the story about Alexei and Gleb drawings. The Tsarevitch had a serie of russian folklore tales, and wanted Gleb to illustrate them. He wrote a note telling Gleb to do so, and then, he sign it with his name...But thinking it better, he didn't want to send this note with his sign to Gleb, for the boy would take it as an order. Alexei wish that Gleb illustrates the Russian tales only if he wanted to, and not for it was an Imperial Order...

RealAnastasia.

P.S: I may recall that Gleb Botkin wrote some poetry as a child, and it show it to Olga Nicolaievna. She uses to write poetry too, and would criticize Gleb work to help him to improve it. It wouldn't mean that Gleb wrote poetry to "amuse" the Imperial Children.

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2005, 12:33:01 PM »
I have just tried to give more data on the Botkins, but the "preview" format wiped it out. Will try again in a different way.

Offline AGRBear

• Velikye Knyaz
  • The road to truth is the best one to travel.
    • View Profile
    • Romanov's  Russia
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2005, 01:53:35 PM »
Mr. King, My wife had a neighbor,whos name was Peter Botkin. This man was the grandson of Gleb. She became good friends with Mr. Botkin,and he gave her several things before he died. One of the items were pen and ink drawings of bears in Russian Uniforms,dated and signed by Gleb Botkin,also he gave her a ring that is supposed to be one of anna's. Is this something that would be of interest to historians?

How very interesting.

Has anyone who knows about such things contacted you?

Greg King has not joined us on this forum for some time.

AGRBear
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by AGRBear »
"What is true by lamplight is not always true by sunlight."

Joubert, Pensees, No. 152

Offline Arleen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2005, 06:36:40 PM »
All of this is so interesting to me!

Mr Schweitzer would you by any chance have pictures of the Botkin family you could post for us to enjoy?

Many thanks for coming to this site to talk with us.

..Arleen

Offline Arleen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2005, 07:07:32 PM »
WAHOO WHERE ARE YOU???  I think we need you......

..Arleen
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Arleen_Ristau »

Offline bass

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2005, 07:42:47 PM »
 :)i'm in MAINE.  I HAVE IN MY POSESSION SEVERAL GLEB BOTKIN DRAWINGS, SIGNED AND DATED. I WAS TOLD BY A PERSON AT THE U. OF MAINE , ONE OF THE DRAWINGS IS AN EXILE DRAWING. A QUESTION? DO THESE DRAWINGS HAVE JUST A HISTORICAL VALUE, OR ARE THEY WORTH ANYTHING MONEY WISE? THEY ARE IN BEAUTIFUL CONDITION. BILL

Offline LisaDavidson

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2005, 03:29:47 PM »

I would of course be interested in this, but think it might be best to first contact Mr. and Mrs. Schweitzer, Gleb Botkin's son in law and daughter. I'm sure anything of her father's would be very precious to Mrs. Schweitzer.

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2005, 02:48:47 PM »
I have tried to contact you privately to tell you what we can

RRS