Author Topic: Olga's official suitors, marriage prospects, and proposals  (Read 158909 times)

Offline Lanie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Olga's official suitors, marriage prospects, and proposals
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2005, 04:23:35 PM »
Well, again, since they were Orthodox like Tatiana said in her letter and the Japanese were not even Christian, marriage would be impossible. ;)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Lanie »

Offline moonlight_tsarina

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Inside the Palace Gates
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2005, 09:08:56 PM »
I have heard this before. I thought it was almost rude how she called him a pagan though!
Check out my site!

www.freewebs.com/moonlight_tsarina

"Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil...but only love." -Olga Nikolayevna

Offline Georgiy

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Slava v vyshnikh Bogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2005, 09:14:35 PM »
A pagan (from the Christian point of view) is anyone not Christian. Not rude or anything, just what it is. From the Orthodox point of view, other Christians are called heterodox.  Not sure about Muslims or Jews though. They aren't heterodox since not Christian and do not worship a tri-hypostatic God, but am not sure if we would say they are pagan.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Georgiy »

Offline hikaru

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2005, 10:16:48 PM »
Yes, it is a good point , but Orthodox church was not obstacle for marriage to foreign prince.
Russian GD had the choice not to change her religion.
She could constructed the church inside of the palace residence. (in principle)
and there was already constructed in the center of Tokyo very big St. Nicholas Cathedral.
Russian Orthodox was quite stronge Christian church in Tokyo those times.
And in those times ( at the beginning of the 20th century), it was faschionable thing for the Japanese aristocracy to marry with European ones.
For example: The uncle of famous Admiral Togo was
Minister (of Finance, I suppose) . His wife was from Denmark.
So, the story of such marriage plans sounds impossible from the first time , but then it sounds not so impossible.
I think that the heir could not marry with foreigners but other  princes why not.
I just tried to analyze the japanese point ot view.

Offline Georgiy

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Slava v vyshnikh Bogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2005, 10:27:37 PM »
Yes, Hikaru you are right - I am myself actually Japanese Orthodox, and the Holy Resurrection Cathedral in Tokyo (Nikolai-do) is still there, and the Orthodox faith is still in Japan, and there are many Churches in various different parts of the country. BTW, are you of Japanese heritage (I ask because of your Japanese online name) or just interested in Japanese culture?

Offline hikaru

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2005, 11:00:41 PM »
Japanese is my profession - my bread with butter, and ikra sometimes. If you will translate my name  into Japanese it will be hikaru.
As for the culture, I prefer russian one, but, of course ,I like japanese culture very much, especially Noh and hanga (engravings Hokusai etc.)  as well as food  ( no sushi please).

Offline Olga

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2005, 07:36:09 AM »
Kak vashye russkoye imya, Hikaru?

Offline hikaru

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2005, 07:38:41 AM »
Kak vy dumaete? Svetlana, konechno

Offline moonlight_tsarina

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Inside the Palace Gates
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2005, 12:08:54 PM »
I remember an anecdote about Olga when she was younger, it was during the Russo-Japanese War, and Olga was talking to her governess, and she said something regarding she hopes the Monkey Japs die etc. and her governess told her that the Japanese were actually not monkeys but humans and, they even had an emperor just like Russia, so Olga retracted her statement and wished something about well being for them...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by moonlight_tsarina »
Check out my site!

www.freewebs.com/moonlight_tsarina

"Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil...but only love." -Olga Nikolayevna

Offline hikaru

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2005, 01:23:21 PM »
I do not want to hurt anybody from Japan, so
I will say preliminary sorry before I will type
this message.

Nicholas invented one word which was the mix of
Monkey and Japanese - Makashka ( Makaka + Yaposhka). I think that Olyga used this word . And in translation this word will be Monkey Jap.

Offline Georgiy

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Slava v vyshnikh Bogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2005, 03:24:46 PM »
Probably no worse than pre-Meiji early Meiji Japanese referring to Europeans as "Hairy Barbarians!" ;)

ferngully

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2005, 11:51:31 AM »
a common insult to a european person is to say in your own language, 'while we were doing astrology and mathmatics, you were building mut huts!' something like that, i've heard it before
selina                xxxxxxxxxx

Offline hikaru

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2005, 12:17:46 PM »
I think, something like this I heard in the movie "My big fat  wedding" . Father , who was originally greek said something like this to one European American boyfriend of his daughter.

ferngully

« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2005, 01:04:22 PM »
i heard an asian person say that first, though in 'my big fat greek wedding' he certainly said that
selina                    xxxxxxxxxxx

Offline lostfan

• Boyar
  • lille prins christian
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2005, 09:09:38 PM »
I've read in alot of books that people believe if Olga and Carol had been attracted to one another, she would have escaped her family's fate. I thought about this for a while, and I don't know if that's necessarily true.

The Romanovs went to Constanta in June 1914. If the two had been engaged, usually the engagement period would last a few months. The First World War began in August 1914, so say the wedding was postponed until 1915, since everyone thought it would last until Christmas. 1915 arrives and the war is still going on, so the wedding is put off until the end of the war. But then Nicholas abdicates, the family goes into exile, is murdered, etc.

Would the engagement really have allowed Olga to escape the fate of her family? Would the Romanians have protested or taken action against the Bolsheviks if Carol's bethrothed was imprisoned? I don't know how likely that would be, so I think even if she had agreed to marry Carol, she probably still would have been murdered with her family.
Men are haunted by the vastness of eternity. And so we ask ourselves: will our actions echo across the centuries? Will strangers hear our names long after we're gone and wonder who we were? How bravely we fought? How fiercely we loved?