Author Topic: Olga's official suitors, marriage prospects, and proposals  (Read 199468 times)

Offline aussiechick12

• Graf
  • .Darling Diana.
    • View Profile
    • Tatiana Romanova
Re: Olga's official suitors, marriage prospects, and proposals
« Reply #180 on: June 04, 2006, 08:00:57 PM »
It's a good topic. And it should be noted that Mircea, the little boy Olga is holding, would die even before his Romanov cousins.  

Oh, that's so dreadful, how did little Mircea die?
"Cameo like profile . . . a lovely rose maiden and as pure as flower" - Lili Dehn on Tatiana.
www.tatianaromanova.piczo.com

Offline Ortino

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Ortino
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 05, 2006, 02:41:13 AM »
Mircea died of typhoid fever in 1916. He was three years old.

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 08, 2006, 10:47:18 AM »
Yes, the Roumanian royals would have been a bit much to handle. I agree with the point about Elisabetha, I have always wondered why she wasn't there in 1914. And indeed, given her personality ( although it wasn't as bad when she was young), it may have been the reason she wasn't there, as she may not have wanted to be.

Offline Nathalie

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 02, 2006, 12:32:28 PM »
Yes, I read several threads about GD Dimitri posposing to Olga, but nowhere I read, was there actually ANYTHIGN between them? I mean, emotions..Did Olga love Dimitri at a time or did Dimitri feel something for her..? Because of the rumours about Dimitri's private life and his relationship with Felix, I wonder if he fell in love with his cousin or did he simply think (or maybe the families) that it would be a good match? What did Olga think about Dimitri?
Dites-moi, Vladimir Lvovich, si j'avais une amie ou une sœur plus jeune, et si vous appreniez qu’elle…enfin, supposons qu’elle vous aime…que feriez vous á cette nouvelle?

julia.montague

« Reply #184 on: July 02, 2006, 01:57:04 PM »
I think Dmitri was just close to Nicholas, as his own father was banned from Russia and Grandduke Sergei was dead, and therefore the people thought he would marry Olga.

Offline dianoshka

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 02, 2006, 09:16:24 PM »
I don't think he ever proposed to her. The idea of the two marrying was simply speculation.

Offline Nathalie

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 03, 2006, 03:16:17 AM »
I think Edvard RAdzinsky's book "tuned it up" a bit, since he wrote about how Olga was "waiting" for Dimitri when the latter wa sbanned from Alexander Palacedue to his enmity towards Rasputin-it really gave hints that it was such a big passion between the two.... :-?
Dites-moi, Vladimir Lvovich, si j'avais une amie ou une sœur plus jeune, et si vous appreniez qu’elle…enfin, supposons qu’elle vous aime…que feriez vous á cette nouvelle?

Offline Guinastasia

• Boyar
  • Celestial Grand Duchess of Penguins
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 03, 2006, 11:57:54 AM »
I got the impression that Dimitri fell in love with EVERYONE.  He had a big crush on Mikhail's wife, Natasha, and when Felix Yussopov told Dimitri about his enagement to Irina, Dimitri revealed that HE was in love with Irina.

I think he was just something of a romantic.  He struck me as somewhat flaky.
May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

Offline Guinastasia

• Boyar
  • Celestial Grand Duchess of Penguins
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 03, 2006, 12:32:35 PM »
Ive always liked the Idea of  Olga  and  King  Edward VIII :D

They would have been a terrible match!

My favorite is Alexander of Serbia, later King of Yugoslavia.  I think they would have been well-suited to one another and he and his sister were very close with the Tsar and his family.

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

Offline LarissaAnn

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 05, 2006, 10:24:48 AM »
This was discussed on a different thread but it was said that at one point they were probably engaged; however, in my opinion if this rumor were true I think it would have been an arranged engagement/marriage, as I can't imagine him being Olga's type, they were, though, age appropriate for each other and like Jelisveta said, Dimitri had a good relationship with the Tsar (up until the murder of Rasputin of course) and supposedly Alexandra was quite fond of him as well (again up until Rasputin).  I don't think, by my own speculation, that it would have been a good match for her though.  One can't deny, however, despite the fact that they were cousins (as was usually no concern back then), that with thier stunning good looks, they would have complemented each other very well as a couple.    
Head & heart - Those are a young girls holy secrets-Tsarina Alexandra Feodorovna

Offline Janet_W.

• Velikye Knyaz
  • ...And no one's grief has ever passed you by...
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 05, 2006, 04:47:49 PM »
I do not know of a single documentation re: the supposed engagement Olga and Dmitri. In his book about Rasputin, Radzinksy--who is quite the scenario-creating dramatist--includes a quote from the wife of an official saying, in effect, that an engagement between the tsar's daughter and cousin has taken place or is about to be announced. (Not having the book at hand, I apologize for not being able to reference the direct quote.) But this would be typical of the skuttlebutt that was rampant at that time, and ours as well. Just look at the headlines of the checkout "literature" at your local grocer.  The same type of malarky permeates any large company or bureau.  Yes, sometimes gossip is founded on fact. And sometimes it is smart guessing, and sometimes it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. But on the whole it is time wasting trash talk, taken up by people who want to feel connected to the events of the time, or superior to the people they discuss, or both.

The most reliable sources indicate the following: Dmitri was considered by both the Tsar and Tsarina as an almost-son. He was handsome, accomplished, and charismatic. Their children and Dmitri and his sister Marie knew each other from childhood. And Olga, the firstborn daughter, attained marriageable age in the years prior to the war.

From these known facts, the gossip began. And if you read post-Revolution memoirs, you will find references to this gossip--"It was said the Grand Duchess Olga was in love with her cousin," etc. But always note the qualifiers. The supposed love affair, "crush," or whatever, was always noted as heresay.

Although at least one marriage outside of Russia--that to Carol of Romania--was briefly considered (and promoted more by diplomats than by family members); we know, thanks to Pierre Gilliard, that she did not wish to leave Russia. Dmitri, then, would have been a logical mate.

But we do forget the human factor. While it is entirely conceiveable that Olga admired her cousin, perhaps even fell a little bit in love with him when she was a child, Olga was a serious and thoughtful personality, and Dmitri, though many things, never gave the impression of being steadfast relationship material. Olga, as would be expected, had early adolescent yearnings--we know about these through some of the published correspondence--but her first post-adolescent attraction was to a reliable, trustworthy, mature man, who despite being a decorated Russian officer did not have the requisite royal lineage.

Moreover, Nicholas and Alexandra--while very fond of Dmitri--did not wish to rush their daughters into marriage and were leery of candidates with dubious morals. Dmitri gravitated towards dissolute people and activities, and Nicholas and Alexandra were very much aware of this. And while charismatic, Dmitri was also morally weak, being easily influenced by questionable characters such as Felix Yussovpov. In comparison to Grand Duke Boris, of course, Dmitri would seem considerably more attractive. But why would the Tsar and Tsarina want their oldest daughter to marry a dissolute husband of any stripe? As the eldest of their children, she would be likely to be the one their ailing son Alexei might most rely upon. Why, then, have her situation compromised by a questionable marriage?

Offline Carol

• I Love YaBB 2!
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 07, 2006, 03:45:53 PM »
Just sharing an ideia I've just had with you:
ok, Olga was free to marry by love, but she had to marry someone of the same social class she was - royal, or someone who was rich and know beetween the high society of the russian court.
But imagine how she felt having to decide someone who was appropriated, choosing beetween options and names, and under pressure by every side of her family and social circle.
OMG, I have no ideia of what I would do on her place!

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 29, 2006, 10:46:24 AM »
That is largely true, yes. Dimitri and Olga were a good match in the realm of the theoryrather than reality. In theory many things might have made it desirable, such as lineage, looks, age and Olga's inclinations to stay in Russia rather than marry abroad. But these two did not really have well matched personalities, although marriages were not usually based on that among royalty. Dmitri was not the type of suitor Nicholas and Alexandra wanted for their daughter either, and that's very important. Olga never really seriously loved Dmitri, nor Dmitri her, beyond a crush. They most likely never seriously considered marriage.

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 29, 2006, 10:48:15 AM »
Well, that is how marriages among royalty were typically contracted, it cam with the territory of being royal. But I think Nicholas and Alexandra would have looked at human factors in their search for an appopriate husband; their own marriage was a love match.

Offline jehan

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 29, 2006, 10:09:49 PM »
I wouldn't take as gospel the statement by Olga that she would marry a Russian and never leave Russia.  She was only about 19 when she said it, and it was just after she rejected a young man who didn't appeal to her (and he rejected her as well).  It may have been said to save "face" a bit in what might have made things a bit awkward within the respective Romanian/Russian royal families.

She may have been sincere at the time- certainly she was attached to her homeland, but had fate and the war not intervened, she might well have met a foreign prince and fallen in love.  Can we really hold her forever to what she said at 19?  I, and most of us I am sure said things in our youth which changed as we grew up and our experiences broadened.  I recall at 19 I was never going to marry at all- and I was sincere in my feelings at that time.  Ha! (I married at 24) :)

I also think that at least a couple of the girls would have married morganatically.  I know N&A would have disapproved, but statistically there would probably not have been 4 suitable princes around in the 1920s for them all to marry. What are the odd that all 4 would have found handsome young princes- certainly the Romanovs didn't have good track record by 1915 or so of making suitable marriages! And had one of the girls fallen for a young nobleman or soldier (not well born enough to be "equal") , I'm sure she would have found some strength of character to face the opposition and done what she wanted to in the end!
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in. 
(leonard Cohen)