Author Topic: Alexandra and Mary Queen of Scots - what they had in common  (Read 4195 times)

Offline DNAgenie

• Boyar
    • View Profile
Alexandra and Mary Queen of Scots - what they had in common
« on: September 09, 2014, 12:08:46 AM »
I have been following Griffh''s thread on Alexandra's contribution to Russia's war effort, where a recent post pointed out that there are many different opinions about Alexandra - some people admire her, others loathe her, and a lot of us are somewhere in the middle.

That started me thinking about other historical figures who raise a similar range of emotions in students of history, and for some reason I found myself thinking of Mary, Queen of Scots. When I started to think logically about the two women and began to make comparisons, several facts immediately hit me in the face.

First of all, Mary Queen of Scots was Alexandra's 8X great grandmother.  The line goes via Mary, James 1 and VI, Princess Elizabeth, Sophia of the Rhine, Sophia Charlotte of Brunswick, Frederick William I of Prussia, Augustus William of Prussia, Frederick William II of Prussia, Prince Frederick William Karl of Prussia, Princess Elizabeth of Prussia, Grand Duke Louis IV of Hess-Darmstadt, Princess Alix.

Secondly, both women were executed, after long imprisonment.

Thirdly, both suffered from an undiagnosed but intermittently debilitating disease (probably porphyria) which became much worse under severe stress but was also subject to sudden unexplained remission from time to time. Each woman was thought to be hysterical and a hypochondriac, but there is evidence that their symptoms were caused a by a severe physical illness that they struggled against for most of their lives.

Fourth, although they were extremely intelligent and accomplished women, both lacked certain social skills, finding it very easy to make tactless remarks (or no remarks at all), and making many dangerous enemies as a result. This can not be taken too far, as they had different personalities and their approach to people seems to have been different. While Alexandra was extremely shy, and had trouble making small talk to strangers, Mary seems to have been the opposite, with very definite opinions which she was prepared to put forward regardless of the situation.  However the result was the same, in that each woman ended up with a small coterie of close friends, and hordes of enemies.

The sad thing is that, in different circumstances, they could each have had a long, happy and fulfilled life. But that was not to be the case, for Queen Mary, or for Tsarina Alexandra.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 12:18:12 AM by DNAgenie »

Offline Romafan96

• View Profile
Re: Alexandra and Mary Queen of Scots - what they had in common
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 05:01:09 PM »
Both women also made very bad decisions which likely contributed to their executions. Mary made the mistake of sanctioning a plot against her cousin, Queen Elizabeth, which signed her death warrant whilst Alexandra made the mistake of not taking the uprisings in 1916/17 seriously enough. I would imagine few people mourned their deaths. as well. Mary died a traitor, whilst Alexandra died a despised Queen who represented everything the average Russian hated.