Author Topic: Memoirs Recommendations  (Read 3924 times)

Offline Maria Sisi

• Graf
    • View Profile
Memoirs Recommendations
« on: October 03, 2014, 04:53:12 PM »
I've heard great things about "Once a Grand Duke" but mixed reviews of "Always a Grand Duke". Maria Pavlovna the younger's memoirs seem to get positive reactions as well. Felix Yusupov's seem to be well regarded as well although I've heard that many details are exaggerated. What about the memoirs of Pierre Gilliard, Lili Dehn, Anna V. and Sophie B?

What are the most recommended, less well known, not so good, or in your personal opinion underrated memoirs?

Offline Nathan the Great

• View Profile
Re: Memoirs Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 08:50:15 PM »
I just read A King's Heritage by king Peter the second of Yugoslavia. It was a really interesting point of view in a relatively unknown part of history. I can't say it was the best book ever written that I have read, but in no case is it a bad book. My one main complaint is that through out the narrative peter jumps from event to event, he also hints at things but never fully elaborates on them. If you can find it ( it is kind of hard to find ) you will not regret reading it.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
~ George Santayana

Offline felix

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 05:16:40 PM »

Sophie Buxhoeveden's  are the best. Her book "The Life & Tragedy of Alexandra Feodorovna Empress of Russia"  for me  has never been equaled .

Sophie's Left Behind" is also terrific. She also has one "Before the Storm" I believe. pre-revolution left me wanting more. only because it opened up so much interest in her.

Lili Dehn's 'The Real Tsaritsa", is written in that odd style I'm not fond of, but good too.

A great memoir if you can get your hands on is "Revolutionary Days, Recollections of the Romanoff's And Bolsheviki 1914-1917" by Princess Cantacuzene,Countess Speransky, Nee Grant. The grand daughter of President Grant. She was close to Grand Duke Nicholas N. Fascinating read. She's quoted often in the new book on N.N.

Offline katmaxoz

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 01:52:20 PM »
Grand Duchess Marie Pavlovna's the younger's memoirs are also a good read - 'things I remember' and 'princess in exile'

Grand Duchess Olga Alexandrovna's memoirs in 'the last grand duchess' by Ian Vorres (she told her stories to him for this memoir as she was too old to write it herself) are also a very good read. Both books offer good insight into the imperial family.

Offline stepan

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 06:35:56 PM »
Olga Alexandrovna herself also wrote memoires first published in Danish ,then also translated to English " 25 Chapters of my Life" There are also many nice photos in the book.