Author Topic: people's fascination with true crime and the Romanovs  (Read 6115 times)

Offline The Test Card Girl

• View Profile
people's fascination with true crime and the Romanovs
« on: December 22, 2014, 07:04:41 AM »
Is it a prurient interest in true crime that fuels the lingering interest in the Romanovs? After all, they've been dead almost a century.

I'm interested in true crime - along with other amateur sleuths, I've dedicated myself to helping find the rapist-killer of little Kylie Maybury.

***Tim here, your link wasn't working, so I fixed it***
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 12:00:50 PM by TimM »

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: people's fascination with true crime and the Romanovs
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 11:57:28 AM »
Tatiana, that happened thirty years ago.  The guy that did it could be dead by now.

It took them twenty-seven years to finally close the Adam Walsh case (in 2008).  By that time, the primary suspect, Ottis Toole, was dead (he had died in 1996).  Toole had, over the year, said he did it, but would recant.  However, closer investigations revealed that Toole was in the right area at the right time, in 1981, when Adam was abducted and murdered.   Toole also knew thing only the killer would have known about.

In his book, Tears Of Rage, John Walsh lashed out at the local police force that he felt had bungled the investigation (and, IMHO, rightfully so, said police force really dropped the ball here, they allowed key evidence to be lost, for example).  

Sounds like a similar situation here, in regards at least on how long it's been since the murder happened.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 12:05:08 PM by TimM »
Cats: You just gotta love them!

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 09:14:22 PM »
thank you for your observations, Tim.

A lot of people don't like fiction in which famous victims of crime or misfortune are spared or their killers or attackers are caught. It's too sensitive for them.

But, we here often speculate about surviving Romanovs.

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 11:31:44 PM »
Well, maybe because we've, in a way, gotten to know the Romanov Family.  You can't look at all those pictures of their smiling faces and not wish things had turned out different for them.

Offline rosieposie

• Graf
  • Eva Duarte de Peron, May 7 1919 - July 26 1952
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 06:49:55 AM »
I am someone who reads a lot of true crime stories.   I sometimes buy true Crime magazines.   

There really isn't an answer to which I  can give as to my fascination about true crime.   Maybe it is a morbid fascination as for my interest in the Romanovs it was due to Great Crimes of the 20th century.    Check it out.
Beautiful faithful Nargony.
Thanks Emily!

Miranda:" Everything begins and ends at exactly the right time and place."
"Picnic at Hanging Rock" (1975) Movie.

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 11:42:59 AM »
Is it a prurient interest in true crime that fuels the lingering interest in the Romanovs? After all, they've been dead almost a century.

I don't know the answer, but I've noticed the connection, too. Romanov fans tend to be interested in the same events, many of which feature profoundly unhappy endings: Anne Frank, Titanic, etc.

I'm no different my next book is on the Lizzie Borden case.
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 06:02:14 PM »
Let us know when the book comes out, Sarah.

Offline Превед

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Мой Великий Север
    • View Profile
    • Type Russian Without a Keyboard
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 01:43:03 AM »
I can't say I'm very much interested in true crime, unless it includes situations which I can imagine myself in or feature conditions similar to my own circumstances, like the Columbine school shooting. So the actual murders of the Romanovs, Anne Frank, disasters like the Titanic etc. don't fascinate me much. But mysteries evolving over time and getting an historical aspect, like the whole Romanov remains / Anna Anderson story, the Da Vinci Code etc., such stuff fascinates me.
Берёзы севера мне милы,
Их грустный, опущённый вид,
Как речь безмолвная могилы,
Горячку сердца холодит.

(Афанасий Фет: Ивы и берёзы, 1843 / 1856)

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2015, 12:10:31 PM »
the Da Vinci Code

Didn't Dan Brown make that all up?

Offline Превед

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Мой Великий Север
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2015, 02:32:11 PM »
the Da Vinci Code

Didn't Dan Brown make that all up?

He merely made a thriller out of his own take on centuries of occult legends, i.e. the undercurrents of Christendom. The Priory of Sion is a hoax, but it was not fabricated by Dan Brown.
Берёзы севера мне милы,
Горячку сердца холодит.

Offline Rodney_G.

• Knyaz
  • an angel .....and the best of them
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2015, 10:49:52 AM »

I don't know the answer, but I've noticed the connection, too. Romanov fans tend to be interested in the same events, many of which feature profoundly unhappy endings: Anne Frank, Titanic, etc.

I'm no different — my next book is on the Lizzie Borden case.

Count me among this group. But I would say that the interest is quite natural  for curious, educated people with  an at least basic level of sympathy and compassion, not to mention drama. Besides these people and events are of significant social and/ or historical importance.

As for me, besides the above-mentioned, I've long been drawn to the following figures/ events/ cases: Jack the Ripper murders; Leopold andLoeb; Sacco and Vanzetti; the White Rose group; the Battle of the Alamo; Jesse and Frank James; the 1916 Easter Rebellion; Bonnie and Clyde; Battle of the Little Big Horn; the Manson "Family";and the Joe Hill saga.
Rodney G.

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2015, 11:26:53 AM »
I've been fascinated with the Jack The Ripper case too.

Offline Ally Kumari

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Russia
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2015, 12:03:25 PM »
There is definitely something about tragic events which just continues to fascinate. It was the brutal execution of the Imperial family which first got me interested in the Romanovs, but I have managed to move on and I focus on their lives and their world now.

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2015, 02:58:18 AM »
I certainly haven't forgotten Kylie Maybury, I remember it very well. I'm am still angry that the adults thought it was OK to send a six year old girl out on her own to buy food. I thought of her often and the fact that no one has been convicted of her rape-murder.

When they were investigating Robert Arthur Selby Lowe, I was hoping that he would be found guilty, DNA evidence proved otherwise. I am not sure her killer will ever be brought to justice.

I keep seeing this tiny girl, clutching a sugar bag...

Offline Превед

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Мой Великий Север
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2015, 12:07:12 PM »
I certainly haven't forgotten Kylie Maybury, I remember it very well. I'm am still angry that the adults thought it was OK to send a six year old girl out on her own to buy food.

What a sad irony it is that it was much safer in the Soviet Union to send a six-year old out to buy sugar (Norwegian Moscow correspondent Jahn Otto Johannesen reported in "Hos oss i Moskva" (= At home with us in Moscow) from the Soviet Union how much Russians cared for stranger children in the street), but there might not be any sugar in the shop!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 12:18:47 PM by Превед »
Берёзы севера мне милы,
Горячку сердца холодит.