Author Topic: Olga might have become a nun  (Read 11667 times)

Offline grandduchess_42

• Velikye Knyaz
  • . Emiliya Brianaiovna . Ella of Hesse .
    • View Profile
    • . Romanov Illusion .
Re: A nunery
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2006, 06:27:48 PM »
so your saying
tanya would be more of the nun type than olga?

hmm i always thought that olya was more religious
So keep me awake for every moment
Give us more time to be this way
We can't stay like this forever
But I can have you next to me today
. Josh Groban .

Offline tatianolishka_

• Boyar
  • What is history but a fable agreed upon?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2006, 06:31:54 PM »
Well, I guess it all depends on how you look at it. I started a topic about how different the two girls were in their religions in the Olga board a called "Opposing Statements". You could look there for some info on how different they really were.  :)

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2006, 06:40:04 PM »
Olga may have been more inherently religious, and thoughtful. But Tatiana was more interested in religious matters and things, like her mother. That, rather than than the deeper feeling Olga probably had, might have led her in the direction of the Hesse women, if not to be a nun, as Ella was, at least to play a role like one. Or maybe even to become a nun, I believe.

Offline grandduchess_42

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • . Romanov Illusion .
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2006, 07:48:00 PM »
ah thank you!

Given she was the eldest daughter of the Tsar, it is unlikely she would have been allowed to join a convent. 

why wouldn't she have become a nun, if she wanted too, who was stopping her?

her father?
but if alexei was already born... he would become the heir
she wouldn't

so i don't understand what would be stopping her. or tatiana.
. Josh Groban .

Offline tatianolishka_

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2006, 08:48:51 PM »
Her mother. Alexandra had her beliefs of what was proper; her eldest daughter becoming a nun wasn't on her list. She would have been concerned not only for her daughter's future, but for how it would affect the society's outlook on the Romanov family. Alexei probably wouldn't have anything to do with it.

My opinion again. I'm sure everyone's tired of it.

Offline Tsarina_Liz

• Knyaz
  • Existence is not a predicate.  - Kant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2006, 10:45:08 PM »
The children of a ruler, deposed or not, are expected to do certain things in their life.  If they are female, they are valuable pawns on the international marriage market.  Nicholas may have been a crown without a country, but he still had weight as the scion of the enormous, immensely wealthy and influential House of Romanov.  And, of course, for some time it seemed it was possible the Russian monarchy could to some extent be restored.  His daughters would have been useful tools in regaining not only lost power (by marrying, say, the future kings of other European countries or other high ranking royalty) but also lost wealth.  Olga and, to perhaps a lesser extent her sisters, had a duty to pass on the Romanov blood (which, it should be remembered, consisted of the DNA of other powerful Houses).  Alexei would not have lived to inherit the throne, so any children of OTMA were potential heirs to the throne and the future leaders of the House of Romanov.  Granted, they would have been (barring a legal alteration) in line behind the sons of Mikhail Romanov, but still would have held important positions.  Until they fulfilled these duties, the daughters (especially Olga) could not go about their lives as they wished.  Perhaps Marie and Anastasia could eventually gain their freedom and were certainly under less pressure to find an appropriate mate, but Olga as the eldest child (daughter or son) of Nicholas II held a uniquely demanding position. 

It should also be remembered that Olga, unique it seems among her siblings, had a keen sense of her duty and loyalty to Mother Russia.  She knew how important she was to the future of the country and would have done whatever was necessary to benefit her people.  I doubt she would have thrown all this, and her important place in the family unit, away to take vows.  Also, like I mentioned, even had she wanted to do so (and some how obtained her father and mother's permission) she would have no one to look towards on her trail blazing path.  It would have been a first, I believe.  Even Ella had followed the expected path in life, her religious detour was a freak occurence that I sincerely doubt she contemplated before the death of Serge. 
Hindsight is 20/20.  When the myopic haze of of the present is lifted by the march of time we see it clearly as the past.  Sociology, psychology, anthropology.  They are all means of understanding that which came before.  History cannot stand alone.

Offline Janet_W.

• Velikye Knyaz
  • ...And no one's grief has ever passed you by...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2006, 12:30:33 AM »
I think all four girls were very much of the world and would have remained so.

Yes, they had their Aunt Ella's example. And both thoughtfully religious Olga and dutifully religious Tatiana had witnessed shocking situations--i.e., the assassination of Stolypin and hospital deaths. But had their father not been forced to abdicate--or even if he had, but the family had survived the Revolution--I think both young women would have married, much as their various European cousins married.

I do not rule out that either Olga or Tatiana, much later in their lives, might have taken vows, as did Princess Alice of Greece and Princess Ileana of Romania. But their Aunts Xenia and Olga did not, nor did the majority of their surviving royal contemporaries. Instead I think Olga would have channeled her spiritual contemplations into her poetry. I agree Tatiana might have been the more likely candidate, given her administrative abilities. But in another country, away from terrorism, I doubt she would have followed her Aunt Ella's career path. In addition, variables such as whether they were happily married as well as their World War II experiences also would color such decisions.

Offline grandduchess_42

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • . Romanov Illusion .
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2006, 07:27:56 PM »
TAlexei would not have lived to inherit the throne, so any children of OTMA were potential heirs to the throne and the future leaders of the House of Romanov. 

what do you mean he wouldn't have lived?

thanks for the all the comments.

i don't know... i think by WWII (if they did live) that tatiana or Olga might have wanted to
but who knows.

i liked how you used the word "pawn" beacuse they actually were, they really didn't have a say
in what they did.
. Josh Groban .

Offline tatianolishka_

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2006, 07:31:31 PM »
I think Liz means that his blood disorder might have killed him before he could succeed the throne. They didn't have all the neat stuff that we have now to cure diseases like that.

Offline grandduchess_42

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • . Romanov Illusion .
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2006, 07:41:28 PM »
ah yes, your right.

do you think that anyof them would have become one though?
i know its highly unlikely but if thy had their own choices. and weren't just a "pawn"
. Josh Groban .

Offline Tsarina_Liz

• Knyaz
  • Existence is not a predicate.  - Kant
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2006, 02:44:54 PM »
Yep, I am of the school that Alexei would not have made it to the throne.  It has never made sense to me that the Tsar did not make any moves to change the Pauline laws.  Alexei had a sense of duty because it was continually imparted on him, Olga (from all the evidence) actually felt it.  She was keenly aware of her place as the oldest, and it shows in her actions and sense of duty.  She may have been a pawn (all royal children then were), but it seems that at least part of the time she was a willing one.  Another reason why I doubt Olga would have taken the veil.

Remember - even Anastasia could have helped her families position.  Just marrying the lowest royal or noble would have helped begin the rebuilding of the Romanov powerbase.  As of the 1917, they were at the bottom and it would have taken all of their efforts to dig back out.       
Hindsight is 20/20.  When the myopic haze of of the present is lifted by the march of time we see it clearly as the past.  Sociology, psychology, anthropology.  They are all means of understanding that which came before.  History cannot stand alone.

Offline grandduchess_42

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • . Romanov Illusion .
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2006, 04:32:36 PM »
ah ok!
thank you so much!

i see now, i wish we could acutally ask her..
. Josh Groban .

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2006, 11:09:08 AM »
They defintely did have a rather low position, although they would still have been desirable and connections that could have been made by marrying them, so they would have been desired as matches. I think they would have wanted to improve their position, but there would have been less of field to choose from. Perhaps, alternatively though, one of them would have gotten sick of the world due to all their experiences in the revolution, and might have withdrawn from it. This might have been Tatiana, but I suppose the pressure to stay in the world would have been strong.

Offline grandduchess_42

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • . Romanov Illusion .
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2006, 08:11:16 PM »
i agree...
with the IF being in the terrible position they were in in Ekatinburg (sp)
they might have wanted to stay out of the lime light for awhile... but as olga and Tatina almmost grown and have gotten
ready to move out
they might have wanted to be secluded from the world for a little bit,
and might have wanted to serve God for the rest of their life.. but who knows.
. Josh Groban .