Author Topic: "It" by Sergey Ovcharov  (Read 1950 times)

Offline Mike

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Erast Fandorin Museum
"It" by Sergey Ovcharov
« on: January 21, 2005, 05:56:08 AM »
Yesterday night I've seen the film "It" [Ono in Russian] by director Sergey Ovcharov and was absolutely stunned.

It's a fantastic piece of art, deeply touching and immensely sad. It shows the Russian life and the Russian national character from the ancient history through the imperial period to the recent times. Vaguely based on Saltykov-Shchedrin's "History of a Town", the film reaches far beyond. Made in 1989, it features the best Russian actors like Rolan Bykov, Leonid Kuravlev, Margarita Terekhova etc. The black/white film's visual art and camera work are absolutely amazing.

My suggestion to everybody here: try to get it at a Russian video shop - if you have one nearby. Prepare for a heart-rending experience of seeing Russia through the eyes of one of its best filmmakers.

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
Re: "It" by Sergey Ovcharov
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2005, 08:30:48 AM »
Mike, thanks! It almost sounds like the novel "Russka" which is a fictional tale of the Russian history with characters and their descendants interacting throughout. It's a great book. I will try to get my hands on this movie...

Offline moonlight_tsarina

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Inside the Palace Gates
Re: "It" by Sergey Ovcharov
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2005, 06:13:07 PM »
My suggestion to everybody here: try to get it at a Russian video shop - if you have one nearby. Prepare for a heart-rending experience of seeing Russia through the eyes of one of its best filmmakers.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR BRINGING THAT UP!!!
;D ;D ;D :o ??? ;D

It's a little off topic, but I wanted to see "The Assasination of the Tsar" where a mental patient goes back in time, but they don't have it at my normal video store, but i remember, there is a Russian books and movie store by my house!
Yayness,
thanks Mike!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by moonlight_tsarina »
Check out my site!

www.freewebs.com/moonlight_tsarina

"Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil...but only love." -Olga Nikolayevna