Author Topic: Fanny Carter --- Nurse to Grand Duchess Olga?  (Read 7259 times)

Offline BingandNelsonFan

• Boyar
    • View Profile
Fanny Carter --- Nurse to Grand Duchess Olga?
« on: February 10, 2015, 09:57:32 AM »
Hi! I have been researching the Plaoutine family (Serge Plaoutine was A.D.C. to the Tsar), and they seem to have been quite close to the Tsar. In fact, the family has a picture of Fanny and Jane Carter, sisters from England. On the back of the picture is a story saying that Fanny went to work for Serge and Eleanor Plaoutine as a Nursery Maid and then a Nurse. She was asked for by the Empress to be Grand Duchess Olga's nurse, so Eleanor Plaoutine sent her to the Royal family. After being nurse to Olga (and maybe sisters?), Fanny returned to the Plaoutines as housekeeper. It says that later she and her sister returned to England. Jane, the sister, worked as a nursery maid in Grand Duchess Xenia's house hold.

Does anyone know anything about these sisters? This is all the info that I've got, but I'd love to know anything more.
Regards,
Sarah

Offline Rodney_G.

• Knyaz
  • an angel .....and the best of them
    • View Profile
Re: Fanny Carter --- Nurse to Grand Duchess Olga?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 04:53:50 PM »
Very interesting. There's no record of Fanny being Olga's nurse in the conventional historical record, but I would think it at least possible that she was so briefly. One John Epps was English tutor to OTMA for years yet there's little to  no accessible record of it. I'd be most interested too  in any role of Fanny Carter in the Imperial nursery.
Rodney G.

Offline Irina_K

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 03:32:32 PM »
Yes, over nine years between 1905-1914 John Epps collected every letter, card and drawing he received from the OTMA.

It is interesting to know when it was? When (in what year?) was Fanny Carter nurse to Grand Duchess Olga?

Offline BingandNelsonFan

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 03:43:13 PM »
Yes, over nine years between 1905-1914 John Epps collected every letter, card and drawing he received from the OTMA.

It is interesting to know when it was? When (in what year?) was Fanny Carter nurse to Grand Duchess Olga?

I don't actually know what year it was, because they didn't bother to write that on the back of the photo (where they did write the story of who was who). However, I do know that Serge and Eleanor Plaoutine's first child was born in 1868, and the last one was born in 1875. It says that Fanny came first as Nurse-Maid, then as Nurse, before being asked for by the Empress. Also, Eleanor Plaoutine seems to have employed nurses for her grandchildren, as well, the oldest of whom was born in 1893 and the youngest in 1906. Fanny may have served as nurse for any of those children.

If I can supply any more info, I'd be happy to do so!
Sarah