Author Topic: Ivan Nikolaievitch Kleshchev  (Read 12716 times)

Offline Holly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • www.otma.org
    • View Profile
    • otmaa.org
Ivan Nikolaievitch Kleshchev
« on: February 12, 2015, 12:35:38 PM »
I am working on a project and I'm looking for help in locating information on Ivan Nikolaievitch Kleshchev.
Kleshchev was a young guard/sharpshooter at the Ipatiev House and is said to have witnessed the murder through a window. I've been able to locate a bit of information, the same bit, in a couple of books like The Last Tsar by Radzinsky. I'm hoping there is more information on him somewhere.
Hope someone can help!
"Господь им дал дар по молитвам их размягчать окаменелые наши сердца за их страдания..Мне думается, что если люди будут молиться Царской Cемье, оттают сердца с Божией помощью."

http://www.otmaa.org -- Coming Soon.

Offline edubs31

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Ivan Nikolaievitch Kleshchev
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 02:12:36 PM »
I am working on a project and I'm looking for help in locating information on Ivan Nikolaievitch Kleshchev.
Kleshchev was a young guard/sharpshooter at the Ipatiev House and is said to have witnessed the murder through a window. I've been able to locate a bit of information, the same bit, in a couple of books like The Last Tsar by Radzinsky. I'm hoping there is more information on him somewhere.
Hope someone can help!

I'm thinking I've probably read the same sources on Kleshchev that you have Holly. I know that he was informed of the impending execution not long before it happened. Pavel Medvedev was apparently walking the property grounds with at least one other guard telling those men on post what was about to happen and to be prepared for when gunshots started ringing out. I believe it was one of those other guards that informed Kleshchev. He was said to be emotionally distraught by the news.

I actually posted a small scene about it not long ago as part of a project I've been working on...

11pm
The next scene takes place at around 11pm on the fateful evening of July 16th. Alexander Strekotin is shown at his post on the lower floor exterior of the Ipatiev House manning a machine gun turret. Far as he knows another uneventful evening is passing into the late hours of the night. He engages a fellow guard in conversation noting the time...

Alexander Strekotin (yawning then looking at his watch): Alright. It's after 11. Why haven't we been relieved?
Guard #1 (starring out into the distance): I don't know.
Pavel Medvedev (approaches out of the dark carrying a revolver at his side): Comrades.
Alexander Strekotin (turning his attention): Medvedev?...(noticing the gun he's carrying). Why do you have that?
Pavel Medvedev: We're going to start shooting them soon. Yurovsky has instructed me to gather your revolvers.

Medvedev and his fellow guard slowly hand over their weapons, a confused expression on their faces. Moments later another guard is shown having broken the news to the guard Ivan Kleshchev located at another post a short distance away...

Ivan Kleshchev (incensed): What. What?! I don't understand.
Guard: It's happening. Tonight.
Ivan Kleshchev: But that's madness! There must be some kind of mistake!
Guard: No mistake. Comrade Yurovsky has ordered you to maintain your post. Make certain there are no disturbances.
Ivan Kleshchev (shaking his head, responding incoherently): No. This can't be! What can be done?
Guard (growing impatient): It is not your decision Comrade. Now you must do as you're told!

Kleshchev collapses into a corner and begins to sob before doubling over as a result of his nervous exhaustion. The scene shifts away.
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...

Offline Holly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • www.otma.org
    • View Profile
    • otmaa.org
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 02:59:52 PM »
Thanks for the reply, edubs31! That's exactly the bit I've come across. There was also an account of one guards suicide(?) I find these stories to be incredibly fascinating. Your retelling is no exception. I wish there was more information about these young guards.
"Господь им дал дар по молитвам их размягчать окаменелые наши сердца за их страдания..Мне думается, что если люди будут молиться Царской Cемье, оттают сердца с Божией помощью."

http://www.otmaa.org -- Coming Soon.

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 06:18:38 AM »
Good to see that they weren't all heartless monsters like Peter Ermakov was.

I actually posted a small scene about it not long ago as part of a project I've been working on...

11pm
The next scene takes place at around 11pm on the fateful evening of July 16th. Alexander Strekotin is shown at his post on the lower floor exterior of the Ipatiev House manning a machine gun turret. Far as he knows another uneventful evening is passing into the late hours of the night. He engages a fellow guard in conversation noting the time...

Alexander Strekotin (yawning then looking at his watch): Alright. It's after 11. Why haven't we been relieved?
Guard #1 (starring out into the distance): I don't know.
Pavel Medvedev (approaches out of the dark carrying a revolver at his side): Comrades.
Alexander Strekotin (turning his attention): Medvedev?...(noticing the gun he's carrying). Why do you have that?
Pavel Medvedev: We're going to start shooting them soon. Yurovsky has instructed me to gather your revolvers.

Medvedev and his fellow guard slowly hand over their weapons, a confused expression on their faces. Moments later another guard is shown having broken the news to the guard Ivan Kleshchev located at another post a short distance away...

Ivan Kleshchev (incensed): What. What?! I don't understand.
Guard: It's happening. Tonight.
Ivan Kleshchev: But that's madness! There must be some kind of mistake!
Guard: No mistake. Comrade Yurovsky has ordered you to maintain your post. Make certain there are no disturbances.
Ivan Kleshchev (shaking his head, responding incoherently): No. This can't be! What can be done?
Guard (growing impatient): It is not your decision Comrade. Now you must do as you're told!

Kleshchev collapses into a corner and begins to sob before doubling over as a result of his nervous exhaustion. The scene shifts away.

That's a good scene.

Ivan Kleshchev also appears in the Days Of OTMA's Lives alternate history story that Wakas and I are working on.
Cats: You just gotta love them!

Offline Judicial Investigator

• Boyar
  • Судебный Следователь
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 01:38:21 PM »
Here is some information about Kleshchev, but it is in russian

link to post on VK http://vk.com/wall-56510987_1849

and document http://vk.com/doc96163027_308380318?hash=626ea2158762eb8fdb&dl=4c29d2705dd6dfdce1
"Часто бывает, что истина, когда ее пытаются скрыть, обнаруживается в маленьких штрихах, в деталях." - Н. А. Соколов

Offline Ally Kumari

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Russia
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 02:17:10 PM »
Thank you for the links Ilya and welcome to the forum! :-)

Offline matushka

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 03:01:20 PM »
Very interesting, thank you very much Ilya!