Author Topic: New complete & annotated translation of Grand Duchess Olga's 1913 diary.  (Read 12053 times)

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
Those of you who follow my "Diary of Olga Romanov" Facebook page may have noticed that from the beginning of this year I have been sharing daily entries from Olga's 1913 diary which corresponded to current dates. The background story of this is that a little over a year ago I was able to obtain a facsimile of Olga's original complete 1913 diary from GARF, and since then I have been doing my own translations of it.  During the past few months I have compiled my translations into a book, which will contain many footnotes as well as numerous photographs to illustrate the text. It will also contain ALL of Olga's decoded diary entries, again thanks to the wonderful Antonina Voronskaya!  As with my previous "In Their Own Words" books, this will be a quality paperback sold at an affordable price, and will also be available as an ebook.
Today I would like to announce that the "Journal of a Russian Grand Duchess: Complete Annotated 1913 Diary of Olga Romanov, Eldest Daughter of the Last Tsar" is set to be released next week. I will keep you posted. Here is the preview of the cover: https://www.facebook.com/DiaryOfOlgaRomanovRoyalWitness/photos/a.124297104286228.15365.113360175379921/845722905476974/?type=1&theater

Thanks!

Helen

Offline Ally Kumari

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Russia
Congratulations on the new book Helen!

I only wanted to ask, how much will it be different from "THE DIARY OF GRAND DUCHESS OLGA NICHOLAIEVNA ~ 1913 ~" ?

I do not own the book, but I immediatelly remembered it reading your summary.

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Congratulations on the new book Helen!

I only wanted to ask, how much will it be different from "THE DIARY OF GRAND DUCHESS OLGA NICHOLAIEVNA ~ 1913 ~" ?

I do not own the book, but I immediatelly remembered it reading your summary.

Thanks, Ally.

I think you are talking about the Marina Petrov translations from 2007 or 2008? I never actually read those, but I know that the Petrov book is now permanently our of print, as per the original publisher, Paul Gilbert. From what I understand, it contained straight translations of the entries, not much else: no footnotes, no photos, etc. "Journal of a Russian Grand Duchess" will contain both - plenty of footnotes and lots of photos to illustrate the text. The diary entry translations are original, all done by me directly from Olga's handwritten 1913 diary facsimiles. My book will also include all of Olga's decoded writing, where she talks about Pavel Vorono and his engagement and marriage to someone else, etc.

Another important difference is that my book will be sold for about 1/3 of the price of the Petrov book, as I always try to make my books as affordable as possible to all. That was actually the main reason I did not buy the Petrov book myself, because simply I couldn't afford the price at the time. And even though I was among several people who assisted in editing it, and even contributed some of the translations as well as communications with the Russian Archives (GARF) about it, etc., sadly I never did get a copy. In a way I am glad I never read it, because I did not want to be influenced in any way by someone else's translations. I am now extremely familiar with Olga's hand and her style of "speaking", so these 1913 translations came very naturally to me.

I hope this answers your question?

Offline Ally Kumari

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Russia
Most definitely! Thank you!

Well then, all I can say is that I am looking forward to your book and will be definitely getting a copy in the future!

Offline Olga Maria

• Velikye Knyaz
  • 1 Corinthians 13, Mark 11: 23-24, Romans 8: 38-39
    • View Profile
Hi Our Highly Respected Ms. Azar!
Why do you make us extremely happy all the time? :' )
Thank you sooo much for this again very delightful news! I haven't read Olga's 1913 diary,too, and knowing this news, oh how Happy I feel! What's even better is it would be cheaper! Ahh, thank you very much for sharing more about the dearest grand duchesse we have all loved for so long. The more we know them, the more our love grows! I congratulate you with all my heart, and not just you, but also all OTMA fans : D

Amazing colored fotos  by the most wonderful Yelena Aleksandrovna. Endless thank you very much!

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Thanks!

Please watch this space for the link as soon as the book becomes available for purchase, which I am expecting to happen by the end of next week  :)

Offline Dru

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
My copy arrived yesterday, and I'm halfway through it already!  Thank you so very much for all your hard work, Helen! :)

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Thank you, Dru, glad you are enjoying it!

I promised I would post a link here when the books is available for sale, but forgot. You can now order it through Amazon.com, or the Amazon site of your respective country. You can also get it through here: https://tsw.createspace.com/title/5312891. Or you can order a signed copy directly from me here: https://romanovs-in-their-own-words.mysupadupa.com/collections/all/products/signed-personalized-copy-of-journal-of-a-russian-grand-duchess-complete-annotated-1913-diary-of-olga-romanov-eldest-daughter-of-the-last-tsar

As always, thanks for your interest and support of my work!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 02:13:21 PM by Helen_Azar »

Offline Dru

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
You are most welcome, Helen.

I'm sure this has been asked somewhere before, but when can we expect Tatiana's diary to be released? 

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Yes Tatiana will be released this Autumn, in hardcover. Of course I will keep you guys posted as to when it will be available for preorder!

Offline Dru

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Yes Tatiana will be released this Autumn, in hardcover. Of course I will keep you guys posted as to when it will be available for preorder!

Great!  I'll be ordering it as soon as it becomes available.  Thank you again for all the time and dedication you've put into translating these diaries; I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say how wonderful it is to be able to experience OTMA through their own "voices." 

Offline Kassafrass

• Boyar
  • Give my love to all who remember me.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Thank you again for all the time and dedication you've put into translating these diaries; I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say how wonderful it is to be able to experience OTMA through their own "voices." 

Truly, I never expected to have such references and it's so nice to flip through and find a specific entry to coincide with events etc...
"Austria declared war on us. Bastards." - Olga Nikolaevna
deviantArt: http://poison-ivy-alice.deviantart.com

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
I am so glad I was able to do this!

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Just an FYI: book is also now available on Kindle/ebook: http://www.amazon.com/Journal-Russian-Grand-Duchess-Annotated/dp/B00W1TUE54/ref=sr_1_1_twi_2_kin?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1430485388&sr=1-1&keywords=journal+of+a+russian+grand+duchess

Those of you who have Kindles and Amazon prime membership can borrow it for free through Kindle unlimited! 

Offline Sanochka

• Graf
    • View Profile
I just went to Amazon and bought a copy.  I look forward to reading it.