Author Topic: King Otto and Queen Amalia of Greece (nee Oldenburg)  (Read 59763 times)

bluetoria

King Otto and Queen Amalia of Greece (nee Oldenburg)
« on: January 22, 2005, 09:32:38 AM »
Please could anyone supply any information about Otto of Bavaria (1815-18670 who became King of the Hellenes. I know Prince Albert considered him a tyrant and called him 'that detestable Otto', and that he was the son of Ludwig I & that he married Amelie of Oldenburg, but why, in 1862 was he deposed? Was he really a tyrant? Or ineffectual? Or what?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 07:34:21 PM by Alixz »

Offline Paul

• Boyar
  • born a century too late
    • View Profile
Re: King Otto and Queen Amelia of Greece
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2005, 03:00:28 PM »
It's a pity that there isn't more on the Web about him:

Otto of Greece Information
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Otto of Wittelsbach, Prince of Bavaria and King of Greece, (Salzburg, June 1, 1815 - Bamberg, July 26, 1867) was made the first modern king of Greece in 1832 under the Convention of London, where Greece became a new independent kingdom under the protection of the United Kingdom, France and Russia.

He was the son of King Ludwig I of Bavaria and his wife, Therese of Saxe-Altenburg.

Not quite 18, the young prince entered Greece with many Bavarian advisors in a council of regency headed by Count Josef Ludwig von Armansperg, who as minister of finance had recently succeeded in restoring Bavarian credit at the cost of his popularity. The United Kingdom and the Rothschild bank, who were underwriting the Greek loans, insisted on financial stringency and on Armansperg. The Greeks were soon more heavily taxed than under Turkish rule; they had exchanged a hated Ottoman tyranny, which they understood, for government by bureaucracy, which they despised. Otto showed little respect for local customs. A staunch Catholic, and thus considered a heretic among the Greeks, he never considered changing his religion.

In 1837 Otto visited Germany and married the beautiful and talented Princess Amelie of Oldenburg (December 21, 1818 - May 20, 1875). The wedding took place not in Greece, but at Oldenburg, on November 22, 1836; the marriage did not produce an heir, and the new queen made herself unpopular by interfering in the government.

An ill-advised attempt to engage Greek sentiment by efforts to acquire Crete in 1841, failed to materialize and only succeeded in embroiling him with the Great Powers.

Initially Otto refused to grant a constitution, but was forced to do so after a military coup, which occurred as soon as German troops were withdrawn from the kingdom, in 1843. Now for the first time he had Greeks in his council. His prestige suffered by the "Pacifico incident" of 1850, when British Prime Minister Palmerston caused the British fleet to blockade the Pireus with warships, to exact reparation for injustice done to a British subject.

The unrealistic "Great Idea", his dream of restoring the Byzantine Empire under Christian rule, led to his entering the Crimean War against Turkey; the enterprise was unsuccessful. In 1861 a student named Drusios attempted to murder the queen, and was openly hailed as a hero. After another coup in 1862, a provisional government was set up and summoned a national convention. The king and queen took refuge on a British warship and returned to Bavaria, taking with them the Greek royal regalia which he had brought from Bavaria in 1832.

Otto was born in Salzburg, Austria, son of Ludwig I of Bavaria and his wife Therese of Saxe-Hildburghausen (1792-1854). He died in the palace of the former bishops of Bamberg, Germany, and was buried in Munich. In his retirement he had become convinced that the throne of Greece was his by divine right and refused to accept the election to the throne of Prince George of Denmark.

The only real possession you'll ever have is your character.
Tom Wolfe
US author & journalist (1931 - )

bluetoria

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2005, 07:23:26 AM »
Thank you very much, Paul! That's really helpful! :)

(p.s. I like your quotation/tag - it's very apt in the light some recent discussions ;) - I DON'T mean people on this forum - I mean the newspapers!!!)

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2005, 07:03:29 PM »
He lacked the right "attitude" to be Greek, but certainly not some of the talents.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2005, 12:53:38 PM »
Good enough,it's GREAT!I just love to see good colour portrait!What kind of caracter did she have?Did she helped her husband or was she just to cold towards people and her new country?

Offline Frederika

• Graf
    • View Profile
    • queen frederika
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2005, 11:42:14 AM »
Could some one post some info on her

she was born a german princess ithink but what did she do after her husband was deposed?

bluetoria

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2005, 06:09:37 AM »
I read an interesting line describing Otto,

"Perhaps his greatest handicap was that, although well-intentioned, he was stupid."

It seems a bit of a sweeping statement, but perhaps it is true. He was rather foolish & in some ways with his high-blown ideas he reminds me of Ludwig of Bavaria.
He also seemed to like political manoeuvring but lacked any real skill in it - as when he he accepted Kanaris as Head of the Government, but refused to appoint any sensible ministers to work with him.

I was unaware that the reason why George was styled 'King of the Hellenes' as opposed to 'King of Greece' was because Otto refused to abdicate and so officially held that title until his death.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by bluetoria »

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2005, 06:35:36 PM »

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2005, 06:36:28 PM »
Queen Amalia of Greece,born Duchess von Oldenburg!

Offline jackie3

• Boyar
  • "...such pig and filth!" - GD Anastasia N.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2005, 08:30:34 PM »
That's a very striking portrait of the Queen, Marc. Do you know the artist?

You have to wonder about the Wittlesbachs, some of their 19th Century members seemed to be dreamers or kooks (depending on how you looked at it) and yet today in the 21st century, the family is somber, down-to-earth, dependable and respected all over.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by jackie3 »

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2005, 06:31:17 AM »
Don't know the artist  :( You are right about Wittelsbach family members!

Offline synnadene

• Boyar
  • Maria Annunziata 1843-1871
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2005, 05:41:12 AM »

I'm looking for pics/infos about the Queen Amalia of Greece, wife of King Otto I.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2005, 09:44:54 AM »
I think she was a princess from the Royal House of Oldenburg. She was quite nice looking as a young woman but end up being a plump lady. Lady Ellenborough, who visited Athens saw how Amelia was jealous of her success both as a rider and a dancer. Also King Otto admired the beautiful English lady who had been his father's mistress. Amelia was a processive wife and afraid that her husband would fall for her too.

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2005, 01:23:38 PM »
There is another tread with Queen Amalia in Greece section were you can find pictures and portraits of her and her husband!

Agneschen

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2006, 01:34:55 PM »

This lady is not Queen Amalia of Greece but one of her ladies-in-waiting called Ekaterini Botzaris (or something of the kind). The painting is by Stieler, it was part of King Ludwig I (Otto's father)'s gallery of beauties in Nymphenburg castle.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Agneschen »