Author Topic: King Otto and Queen Amalia of Greece (nee Oldenburg)  (Read 59903 times)

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: King Otto and Queen Amelia of Greece
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2006, 01:08:12 AM »
Greece was known as a hot bed of intrigue and when the throne was available again. Nobody wanted to touch it. Christian IX was reluctant to allow Willy to take up the throne.  :(

Offline Nicistratos

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2006, 06:33:52 AM »
SO,HE FAILED to give a vision to the nation!He only wanted to rule,he didn't got any  serious decisions(there was not constitution he gave it after a rebellion)

Offline Nicistratos

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2006, 06:39:15 AM »
One such example is of the Mavromichalis family(Black Michaels),who assasinated Count Capodistria the first Greek PM.He wanted to disarm them and set them to working for the good of all of Greece and they did not want to lose any of their influence or strength.

Capodistrias,was a Governornot a PM,Char'sex-foreign Minister

Offline Iskenderbey

• Boyar
  • Zito o Vasileus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2006, 10:10:18 AM »
SO,HE FAILED to give a vision to the nation!He only wanted to rule,he didn't got any †serious decisions(there was not constitution he gave it after a rebellion)

No man would have been able to have done better, even if one was more talented and had more abilities than Otho.  The time & place wasn't right.

Furthermore, even when the Greeks got their Constitution, they didn;t know what to do with it.

Example:  Kolettis, who treated his post as Prime Minister equal to a continuance of Ali Pasha's court, and millions found in his personal accounts taken from the public purse.  

Otho failed in many aspects, but blame goes all around.

Regards

Offline Parisa

• "A Bientot!" - Willie
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2006, 07:45:26 AM »
Christian IX was reluctant to allow Willy to take up the throne. †
I thought that Christian was pleased for his son to take the throne of Greece, and that it was his mother, Louise, who was upset about it.

Iskenderbey, I know you're going to come up with a fabulous comeback for what i have to say, but i think that Otto was hardly a successful ruler. His people at least on SOME level, hated him. He sounds like Tsar Nicholas II with all his "divine right" stuff - and look what happened to him! †:-[ †For a king to waltz into a nation and impose such unreasonable expectations (autocracy, higher than normal taxes, ant-Grecian attitude) seems ridiculous. I'm not saying his intentions weren't good - but the results speak for themselves. (I can almost see the steam shooting from your ears, Stavros) †;) ;D :D 8-) ::)

Well anyway, i guess you are right in a way. Otto's rule did unite Greece as one country, and established Athens as a city and introduced Greece into modern Europe. So perhaps the scar he left was better than the wound he inflicted...? (it's a saying of my grandpas... don't judge!) †;D ;D ;D

Offline Quin

• View Profile
First King of Greece - King Otto I vs. King Constantine I
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2006, 04:16:32 PM »
I have heard & read each of these Kings referred to as the first King of Greece. Which one is it & why?

Offline carl fraley

• Boyar
  • Honor and Fidelity
    • View Profile
Re: First King of Greece - King Otto I vs. King Constantine I
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2006, 05:09:44 PM »
Unless they were referring to something specific, Tino (Constantine I) came after his father George I, and HM George Iwas offered the
throne after the greek people removed King Otto. 

Otto was the first Wittlebach  while George was the first Glucksburg so

Who knows?

Offline Quin

• View Profile
Re: First King of Greece - King Otto I vs. King George I
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2006, 06:00:30 PM »
Yes.  Apologies. My mistake. That's what I meant.  King Otto I vs. King George I.

Question remains. Why are they both referred to as the first king?

Offline Prince_Christopher

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2006, 06:21:55 PM »
I think the confusion may lie in the fact that King Otto (reigned 1832-1862) is sometimes referred to as the "first king of modern Greece," and indeed he was.  He was the first and only king of Greece from the Wittlesbach dynasty of Bavaria.  He and his queen Amalia had no children.

After Otto was exiled, Prince William of Denmark was chosen to be king of Greece.  He reigned as King George I of Greece from 1863 until his assassination in 1913.  He was the first king of Greece from the Glucksburg dynasty and from him and his wife (Grand Duchess Olga Constantinovna of Russia) descend the Greek Royal Family.

So, technically, I would say that Otto was the first king of (modern) Greece.  George I was the second king of (modern) Greece, and the first king of Greece from the Glucksburg dynasty.

I think people may sometimes refer to George I as the first king of Greece, when actually he was the first of his dynasty to rule, not the actual first king of Greece.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 06:29:10 PM by Prince_Christopher »
Anyone who has a library and a garden wants for nothing.
--Cicero

Offline allanraymond

• Boyar
    • View Profile
    • Monarchies of Europe
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2006, 07:03:08 PM »
To add to the debate the Glucksburg dynasty were actually "King of the Hellenes" rather than "King of Greece". The latter apllied to Wittlesbach dynasty namely King Otto.

Allan Raymond

I think the confusion may lie in the fact that King Otto (reigned 1832-1862) is sometimes referred to as the "first king of modern Greece," and indeed he was.  He was the first and only king of Greece from the Wittlesbach dynasty of Bavaria.  He and his queen Amalia had no children.

After Otto was exiled, Prince William of Denmark was chosen to be king of Greece.  He reigned as King George I of Greece from 1863 until his assassination in 1913.  He was the first king of Greece from the Glucksburg dynasty and from him and his wife (Grand Duchess Olga Constantinovna of Russia) descend the Greek Royal Family.

So, technically, I would say that Otto was the first king of (modern) Greece.  George I was the second king of (modern) Greece, and the first king of Greece from the Glucksburg dynasty.

I think people may sometimes refer to George I as the first king of Greece, when actually he was the first of his dynasty to rule, not the actual first king of Greece.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 01:58:43 PM by Svetabel »

Offline Quin

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2006, 07:17:33 PM »
CP & AR:

Yes.  The distinction AR makes is probably the basis for both monarchs to call themselves the first king.  Be that as it may, it appears to be a distinction with little difference.

Thank you for the replies.  My curiosity has been more than satisfied.

Rani

« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2009, 02:39:15 PM »

« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 02:45:19 PM by Rani »

Offline Clemence

• Graf
    • View Profile
Re: King Otto and Queen Amalia of Greece (nee Oldenburg)
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2012, 02:33:07 PM »
http://www.protothema.gr/culture/books/article/?aid=145042

Le lettere della regina a suo padre pubblicate in due volumi.

''The letters the Queen wrote to her father in two volumes'"

(Clemence, Thank you, Alixz)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 06:18:41 PM by Alixz »
'' It used to be all girls without clothes. Now itís all clothes with no girls. Pity.''

Offline Clemence

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2013, 02:37:57 AM »
A few days ago I visited the Museum of the City of Athens, which has been the first palace of King Otto and Queen Amalia in Athens. Many personal belongings are beautifully exposed in the two buildings. You could visit the official site of the museum here:

http://www.athenscitymuseum.gr/index_en.html

The most wonderful surprise came to me when I looked for a way to reach the palace' s garden, and that' s when I found out there' s a new elegant bistrot there, The Black Duck Multiplarte! The garden was the first public garden of Athens, and there still survives the palm planted by Queen Amalia herself when she lived there ...

http://blackduck.gr/

My visit in Athens brought me in the Parliament Palace, where I was impressed by the lack of ANY evidence of either of the two royal couples that lived in the palace! When I tried to investigate I got the answer that some of their belongings are exposed in the nearby Old Parliament building, now housing the National Historic Museum, which I intend to visit next time I' ll be in Athens ...

http://www.nhmuseum.gr/index.php?lang=1
'' It used to be all girls without clothes. Now itís all clothes with no girls. Pity.''

Offline Linnie

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2015, 06:42:20 PM »
About two weeks ago, I was in the National History Museum, in Athens. I knew nothing of King Otto and Queen Amalia. When I first saw a portrait of King Otto, I thought that it was in fact Ludwing II of Bavaria. I don't read greek, but I took from the information in English that the King and Queen did try to adapt to life in Greece and to create a distinct, modern greek culture. The costumes designed for Queen Amalia's ladies-in-waiting were quite striking. Somehow, the couple seems like a good pair who did try to do their duty. That is my impression anyway. I am still trying to learn more about them.
Linnie