Author Topic: King Otto and Queen Amalia of Greece (nee Oldenburg)  (Read 54322 times)

Offline Превед

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Мой Великий Север
    • View Profile
    • Type Russian Without a Keyboard
Re: King Otto and Queen Amalia of Greece (nee Oldenburg)
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2015, 06:34:31 AM »
Somehow, the couple seems like a good pair who did try to do their duty.

Yes, but it was an impossible situation, beginning with Otto's rule as an unconstitutional absolute monarch. Quite odd, when you consider that he was to be king of a country that had liberated itself from Ottoman despotism through a national revolution! No wonder there was a revolution against him in 1844. That neither he nor the Queen were Orthodox or had an Orthodox heir, in a country that had fought a revolution for "the Greek nation and the Orthodox Church" was also highly problematic. Otto tried to ally himself with Orthodox Russia against the Ottoman Empire (e.g. in the Crimean War) in order to liberate more Greek territory, but was restrained (and humiliated) by the other great allied protective power he depended on, Britain, who was not interested in expanding Russian influence in the Eastern Mediterranean. His successor, Georgios I, fared much better in that respect, with his Orthodox Russian queen and being the brother-in-law of the Russian heir / emperor. But I wonder how the conservative Queen Amalia of Oldenburg viewed Greece leaning to Russia's side, considering that she came from the same dynasty as the Holstein-Gottorp-Romanovs.

I think the best that can be said about Otto's reign is that it removed many of the rougher edges of Greek society and turned the wild revolutionary warlords into the (scheming) European politicians Georgis I had to deal with.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 06:50:19 AM by Превед »
Березы севера мне милы,—
Их грустный, опущённый вид,
Как речь безмолвная могилы,
Горячку сердца холодит.

(Афанасий Фет: «Ивы и березы», 1843 / 1856)

Offline José

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Erasmira von Wittelsbach
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2016, 10:36:43 AM »
Can someone elaborate on king Otto's illegitimate daughter ?

Who was her mother ? bavarian or greek ?

What has become of her ? Descandants ?

I guess she was never recognized as a bavarian princess...