Author Topic: Kolbus Family - Ukraine or Russia  (Read 18118 times)

Offline KatherineLK29

• View Profile
Kolbus Family - Ukraine or Russia
« on: October 01, 2015, 08:35:11 PM »
I love this site! I have learned so much lurking on here for the past 3 years. Thank you for sharing your information.

I have been researching my Russian/Ukrainian roots on the surname Kolbus. I do not know if my surname was changer (i.e shortened from something longer or something else entirely). I have no more living relatives who can answer my questions, so here I am.

Any information I have stops at my Great-Grandfather- Kuzma Kolbus and his wife, Irene Mischenko.

My Great-Grandfather was born on Oct 1894 in the Ukraine and he emigrated to the U.S. in either February or March 1912.

I was wondering if anyone who has a working knowledge of Russian (I took 2 years in college but sadly Ive forgotten most of it), I would really appreciate it.

I have his Imperial Passport issued in 1912 but Im afraid that I can only make out the first two numbers. That he was orthodox and he was a carpenter/builder. I also his Exit Visa (I think) but I cant read it.

If its ok, Ill post copies of his passport(s). Please let me know if I need to do anything to the pictures.

Thank you for looking at this. Id appreciate any response.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 08:53:39 PM by KatherineLK29 »

Offline Превед

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Мой Великий Север
    • View Profile
    • Type Russian Without a Keyboard
Re: Kolbus Family - Ukraine or Russia
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 05:28:29 AM »
Hi and welcome, Katherine!

I suspect your surname originally was Kolbusz (Polish) or Колбуш (Russian, nowadays also Ukrainian). There are a few people called Kolbusz in Poland today. The name is derived from kolba, which in Polish means among other things small flask or ear of corn (maize). In Ukrainian it also means small flask or bulb.

The reason for the spelling Kolbus in the US could be that Kolbus sounded more Latinesque and less Slavic or that it for some reason was alternatively spelled Kolbuś in Polish (almost the same sound) and the diacritic was just dropped.

BTW your great grandmother's typically Ukrainian name would be spelled Miszczenko in Polish, Мищенко in Russian and Міщенко in Ukrainian.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 05:39:46 AM by Превед »
Берёзы севера мне милы,
Их грустный, опущённый вид,
Как речь безмолвная могилы,
Горячку сердца холодит.

(Афанасий Фет: Ивы и берёзы, 1843 / 1856)

Offline KatherineLK29

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 09:16:22 AM »
Dear Превед,

Thank you so much! Is there any way you could tell me what my Great-Grandfather's patronymic was? Or where he was born?

Also, what does the passport/visa book thing say? Maybe why he wanted to leave Russia/Ukraine?

If it's not too much trouble.  :)

Thanks again!!

Offline Превед

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Мой Великий Север
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 09:27:52 AM »
Thank you so much! Is there any way you could tell me what my Great-Grandfather's patronymic was? Or where he was born?
Also, what does the passport/visa book thing say? Maybe why he wanted to leave Russia/Ukraine?

It's just a pleasure to help, but I'm sorry I can't help you with any more details, because I can't see the pics of passports etc. you may have posted. See this thread: http://forum.alexanderpalace.org/index.php?topic=771.0 for info about how to post pictures.
Берёзы севера мне милы,
Горячку сердца холодит.

Offline Превед

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Мой Великий Север
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 09:40:28 AM by Превед »
Берёзы севера мне милы,
Горячку сердца холодит.

Offline KatherineLK29

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 02:35:39 PM »
Ok thanks for letting me know. Let me try this.

Offline Превед

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Мой Великий Север
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 02:55:44 PM »
Ok thanks for letting me know. Let me try this.

Sorry, the pics are much too small to be able to read the documents.
Берёзы севера мне милы,
Горячку сердца холодит.

Offline KatherineLK29

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2015, 03:29:59 PM »
Ok. I'll try to enlarge them. Sorry.

I hope these are a perfect size to read.

Thank you for taking the time to look at them.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 03:34:14 PM by KatherineLK29 »

Offline Превед

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Мой Великий Север
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2015, 04:07:15 PM »
Now they are a good size (when you open the pics in separate windows), but I'm very bad at reading Cyrillic cursive. Hopefully some of the very proficient members, Inok Nikolay, Mike etc. can chime in.
All I can decipher is:

Here it says in German and French that the female peasant D/B/V??? Mischtchenko and her daughter Irina are free to travel abroad, from Libau (today Liepāja in Latvia).

I think I can read the name Kuzma Petrovich Kolbu?
Берёзы севера мне милы,
Горячку сердца холодит.

Offline KatherineLK29

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2015, 05:56:26 PM »
It's hard for me to read Cyrillic cursive as well. Too bad the whole wasn't typed. :)

Thank you so very much for looking at this.

I'm curious though now about my Great-Grandfather, Kuzma. He wrote down for my parents once that his dad's name was Wasil/Wasyl Kolbus and his mom's name was Donna. So maybe my grandfather got confused or my Great-grandpa just forgot and mentioned another relative's name by mistake.

I know that my Great-grandpa had family that didn't come over to US but I have no way of finding their names or anything like that. Too bad, too.

Thank you again.

Maybe someone else on the forum can help translate the cursive.

Offline Mike

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Erast Fandorin Museum
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2015, 11:39:30 PM »
The passports were issued to Domnikiya Savelievna Mischenkova [Домникия Савелиевна Мищенкова] and to Koz'ma Petrovich Kolbas [Козьма Петрович Колбас]. The exact meaning of the surname Kolbas is "sausage".

Offline KatherineLK29

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2015, 11:59:28 PM »
Thank you very much, Превед!

Thank you very much, Mike!

Now I wonder why my surname was Latinized to Kolbus instead of Kolbas. Maybe the pronunciation was hard to understand when my Great-grandfather landed at Ellis Island.

:)

I wonder also if my great-grandfather made sausage as a living. I love kielbasa so that would be interesting to find out.

Do you by any chance know which towns my great-grandparents originated from, from reading the passports?

Thank you again, sirs.

This will very helpful as I'm trying to help my Uncle who traveled to Russia recently for work. He wanted me to help him translate the documents but I didn't have any success. Hopefully this will help him.

Now all I need to do if find out who Kuzma and Dominkiya's parents were and when they were born.

Do you know of any Russian websites that may help with that?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 12:18:49 AM by KatherineLK29 »

Offline Mike

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Erast Fandorin Museum
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2015, 02:05:18 AM »
Koz'ma Kolbas lived in the large (population over 3000) village of Ushcherpye [Ущерпье] in then Chernigov Governorate, currently Bryansk Region, Russia. It was apparently not him who was engaged in sausage making but somebody of his ancestors. His occupation is cited as "common laborer". By the way, my grandfather lived at that time just a few miles from Ushcherpye - in Novozybkov, where his family owned a large match-wood business and employed several dozens workers from the surrounding villages.
As to Domnikiya, her native place doesn't appear on her passport.

Offline KatherineLK29

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2015, 02:27:22 AM »
Neat! I wonder if my great-grandfather might have worked with someone like your grandfather.

Thank you so much for helping me with this, Mike! I really appreciate it!

Offline KatherineLK29

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2015, 08:25:02 AM »
Does anyone know of any Russian websites that include census records or something of the like so I can try and find the parents of my Great-Grandfather?

Thank you again.